Nanny camera really works--ugh!

Kathy813

Staff member
I can't even watch it. I know I will get too upset. I hope the nanny goes to jail for a long time.

~Kathy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If that were my child, she'd never make it to jail. Some things make me a little insane......this is one of them.

What always enrages me so much is their excuse is usually that the infant/child would not stop crying. Really? Because slapping them is going to make them cry less. Shaking them is going to make them cry less. omg

If you have that little patience with children, find another line of work.

susiestar

Roll With It
If she was in my community, she would be begging to stay in jail, and in a single cell far away from anyone. I am far from the only person in this community who's reaction would be rather volatile. I can understand how a baby crying constantly could get to you, and you might need to take five min outside if you know the kids are safe and you have done all you can to help them. But hitting them? Sorry, not what you want anyone to know you are doing.

About the only thing that would make me crazier than someone doing this to my kds? Having someone tell me it was okay to do this. And I have heard parents say this is okay to do.

TerryJ2

Yep. If I were the first one home, I'd be in jail, too, for assault.
Sometimes, police serve and protect ... the wrong people. That's the only reason that nanny is safe. For the moment.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Susie, any parent that thinks that shouldn't be a parent. Meggie can get pretty strident. The only two times I haven't been able to deal... First time, I handed her to husband and explained I needed a break, the second time she was already strapped in her high chair so I went and got him and asked him to take her. There was one time neither of us could handle so after making sure she was fed, dry, safe in her crib - we turned the monitor to low volume and went upstairs. Not for long, but away for a bit.

TerryJ2

Susie and Step, I think what you may be referring to is a cult fringe group that promotes spanking ... all kids ... including infants.

Step, yep, turning down the monitor and stepping away for a moment is the wisest thing to do. Bravo. I wish more parents would know to do that.

DammitJanet

Ive always found it odd that people are shocked that babies cry. They do..its part of what they do. They tend to do it a lot. I dont enjoy it but as long as I know the kid is fed, dry, not hurting and everything else is fine, well...then cry. I am not going to be able to stop a baby from crying completely and Im not going to try to the point I make myself nuts. Right now McKenzie is in this nonstop crying and whining phase so badly that I cant stand to be around her. Almost everyone else tries everything to appease her. Me? I make sure she is fed, has her cup and make sure her diaper doesnt need changing. She has plenty of toys here. I am not going to beg her to stop crying and Im not going to constantly hold her. If she wants to sit in the floor and scream, well I can just turn the TV up.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Both Brandon and Connor went through screaming stages. I'd say "crying" except that would be a terrible understatement.........it was downright screaming at the top of their lungs to the point where it echoed off my walls. It could have easily driven me over the edge if I'd let it. Instead, I'm well practiced at ignoring it after making sure their needs were met. There was no consoling them anyway, especially Connor. But at the end of those particular days, I was sure relieved when they went home. ugh Thankfully they've both stopped. I'm pretty sure it was due to lack of words in which to verbalize wants/desires whatever. Soon as both figured out Nana doesn't give in to screaming........and Nana doesn't stand waiting for a half hour while you speak gobbledy gook instead of real words trying to figure out what you want......they tried harder and started speaking better. Connor still has a very long way to go, but he's made much progress.

Many times I've sat a inconsolable baby/toddler into their crib, calmly walked away, closed the door and taken at least a 15 min break when I've needed to. I taught my girls to do the same......there were plenty of times Nichole would had Aubrey off to me because she desperately needed a break from the crying.

SuZir

Unfortunately I can understand a desire to smack the baby, or shake, that is even more dangerous, better than i would like to. I can even see how someone would end up acting that desire. That of course doesn't make it right. And this was a nanny who most likely went home in the end of the day and didn't have to take care of the baby 24/7. That makes the video even more disgusting.

My difficult child was an unhappy baby. He screamed at the top of his lungs most of the day and night. He slept little and only short time at the time. and mostly only if held just right (and walked around.) And when he didn't scream he whined. Even while eating, it was nurse 30 seconds, scream a minute, nurse 30 second, scream etc. days and weeks and months of that with little sleep (we took turns with husband but we were still both totally sleep deprived.) I never slapped him or shook him but there were times he was in the hall crying his head off and I was outside on the stairs crying my head off, outdoor firmly closed between us. So I can understand the desire to make anything to make them stop. But there is desire and there is what you can and can't do, and plain right and wrong.

donna723

I didn't watch it either because I have a hard time handling things like that. Did they have this nanny cam set up just as a routine precaution or did they have some reason to suspect that this woman was abusing the baby? If it was my child or my grandchild, if I had even in inkling that she might be abusing that baby, she would be outta there so fast her head would be spinning! I wouldn't be giving her another opportunity and sitting there watching to see if she was hurting the baby! What if that one last time was the one where she severely injured the baby? I know a lady with a beautiful little three year old grandson who is now mentally disabled, blind and deaf because her daughters boyfriend (not the babys bio-father) shook him when he was just two weeks old! It happens.

TerryJ2

SuZir, I COMPLETELY understand wanting to hit a screaming kid, BUT she was a "professional" nanny. Strike One. She was caring for a 5-mo-old infant. Strike Two. And so on.
I think most of us here have been pushed to our limits. But most of my limits weren't reached until my son was well into his toddler stage. I mean, a baby can't follow you into another room, where you have gone for a min or two to get peace, whereas older kids can hound you. This nanny wasn't even close to that point.
And as you pointed out, THINKING something and DOING IT are two different things.

Sigh. I don't know why I even watched it ...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, I understand the desire..........much more than anyone could possibly know.

Travis spent his first 6-7 months not sleeping......it was mainly spent crying or screaming. What few photos I have of him during that period were random moments when he was happy and smiling.....and I do mean random. He was failure to thrive as he projectile vomited anything that went into his stomach. Poor baby was literally starving before my eyes but it took me that long to get his pediatrician doctor to listen......uh, no not HIS pediatrician doctor, she evidently believed a 6 month old weighing in at less than his birth weight was perfectly fine!..........it was her husband who actually did something about it.

Sleep was not something I did much of during that time frame. I considered myself extremely lucky to catch an hour nap, only got that if Fred would rock, walk, whatever Travis down in mother in law's family room where I couldn't hear him. (no one but me could take him more than that amount of time)

Horrifically sleep deprived, I remember one night in particular with the overwhelming need to just throw him across the room. To do something, anything to just shut him up. The moment the mere thought passed through my brain, my blood turned to ice and I started bawling hysterically...... (of course I didn't act on it, just the thought alone was devastating)

I thank God that I had both the maternal instinct and the presence of mind even in that state NOT to act on that momentary desire. But it gave me an entirely different perspective on parents who do lose it under those situations. Unacceptable, regardless, but I could at least "get" what drove them to it.