natural supplements for sleep???

Jena

good morning,

so, i figured i'd try coming here. keep tryiing the medication game and can't seem to hit the right one.

we have tried melatonin and just about everything else in the natural food store that is supposed to induce sleep, reduce mania and lower anxiety.

one i haven't tried is tryptophan, the stuff that's in turkey lol. anyone try that??

i gotta get little difficult child sleeping before start of school....... i'm running out of time :) starts tuesday. any ideas are always great.

TerryJ2

Yes, and tryptophan also works for migraines.

You can get a mixture of tryptophan and melatonin.

Have you tried chamomile tea? Beware if she's got ragweed allergies, because chamomile is a cousin weed/herb to ragweed.

LittleDudesMom

Not sure if this is supported by an scientific evidence, but taking his vitamin D at night seemed to help my difficult child get a better night sleep.....

Sharon

J

janejana

I use melatonin, it's completely natural, your brain produces it when you become tired. I started using it and I get way better sleep now. It even works better than the over the counter stuff I tried. If you buy some, make sure it's plant extracted melatonin, not animal, animal extracted melatonin can cause diseases.

H

HaoZi

Tryptophan is also in milk, which is why some people have warm milk to sleep (warming it seems to make it work better). The hitch is that if you have anything else, it overrides the tryptophan as a sleep aid.

D

Drained Mama

We use to give our son a few slices of turkey and a glass of warm milk about 30 min before bed time. It did work for awhile, then we started potty training and he would pee the bed. Now we do Melatonin and it works great. He has gone from 3-4 hrs of sleep a night to 8-10 hrs.

Jena how much melatonin is she taking? I was at a conference by the Papolos's (The Bipolar Child) a few years ago, and Dr. Papolos said kids could take up to six mg.

Also is the Seroquel XR? My gfg13 had good luck with Seroquel for sleep, but it was not XR.

Jo

H

HaoZi

Every bottle of melatonin I've looked at says not to give to anyone under 18. :S

Jena

hi

i left this thread for a while yet having trouble as always. she's had tryptophan 500mg and nothing ........ i've done 10mg of melatonin and nothing.....tried all the teas, kava kava nothing... tried this stuff called calm it's a magnesium mix zero effect. i have script for risperdal yet i dont' want to fill it yet. i'm not loving that medication. i want to get sleep down and than handle the rest.

i've been using seroquel as a prn at night at 50mg on nights i just cant' hack her up all night long. as long as the seroquel isnt' in system consistenly it'll work short term to combat sleep.yet i cant' keep playing that game.

any other ideas on natural stuff for sleep??