New to the blog

alle3931

Ok, so I am new to the blog but I have some words of encouragment. I have a six year old little boy who graduated from kindergarten yesterday. Up until the last month and a half my son was completely unpredicable, he would fight the teacher, throw chair in the class room, refuse to do his school work, scream at the top of his lungs for extended periods of time, kick his bedroom door, throw toys, I was living a nightmare. Outsiders always seem to have the answers, I have heard "you need to spank him", "you need to take his things away", "you need to be more this, more that..." My son was the master of doing this unattractive behavior when we were out, at church, at dinner, at a ball game ect. ect.
I can tell you no one has the answers. My sons teacher and I worked closely on what to do next, never coming up with a real solution. My son is being seen by a mental health doctor. He was on Trileptol. NO improvement.. I was told that he is potentially bipolar or ODD... I reseached both medical diagnosis.
His medicine was changed from Trileptol to Abilify...He is doing AWESOME. He has gotten all smiley faces at school for the last 4 weeks, every day. He was getting all frown faces and I was being called to come get him frequently, on the verge of loosing my job. I now know what it is like to parents a happy child. I hope this behavior continues because I like being a mom again. :eek:)
Abilify is not the solution for everyone, I am happy that my son can be a kid now and enjoy himself.

T

TeDo

Welcome and glad to hear things are going so well for you. You ARE one of the lucky ones it seems.

Malika

Welcome and that's good to hear about the dramatic transformation for your son and you... I hope things continue to remain stable.
How is he when the medicine wears off? Or is Abilify one that works all the time?

keista

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Like you said, it's not for everyone, but when it works, it's like a magic bullet! I'm still keeping fingers crossed that it's right for my DD1 - seems to be.

FeatherAhead

There is nothing wrong with medication if its needed. Thank goodness you found the correct one and starting to live a "normal" life again.

B

bluetik

Congratulations! That's wonderful. My son has had some success with Abilify, as well. He is using it with Guanfacine, and it is helping with his behavior at school A LOT!!!

I hope it keeps working for your son!