Old-fashioned Hints & Tips...

Pink Elephant

I'm the same age as OH and you could buy them when my son was born, along with rubber pants. In fact, I have some still that I used as burp rags and now use as dust cloths...didn't you read that part of the thread. :roflmao:! I do know people used them...but I never did.
You're absolutely right, Lil. Our Kmart still carried cloth diapers and rubber pants well into the 90's, and we have a next door neighbour that was still using them in 1993/94. I remember, because I used to occasionally do evening babysitting for her, and both her kids were in them.

BusynMember

Honestly, OH, I didnt give much thought to how to diaper my.kids. Disposables were easy and I felt it kept the kids dryer and it was all I saw. Don't give me more credit than I deserve :p

I also didn't bother potty training my kids...figured they would do it when ready and they did! At least I don't THINK they still wear diapers....hmmmmm...........;)

Pink Elephant

Honestly, OH, I didnt give much thought to how to diaper my.kids. Disposables were easy and I felt it kept the kids dryer and it was all I saw. Don't give me more credit than I deserve :p

I also didn't bother potty training my kids...figured they would do it when ready and they did! At least I don't THINK they still wear diapers....hmmmmm...........;)
Honestly, I never did either. I knew what I wanted to use long before my kids were born, and knew what I was going to use. husband and I never even discussed it.

I think having the old-fashioned streak in me like I always have, made using and doing things the old-fashioned more appealing to me. Sort of like, my mom was old-fashioned and used cloth diapers, so when I become a mom, I, too, am going to use cloth diapers. I honestly think that was a big part of it for me using cloth.

As for toilet training, I was so dedicated with baby #1, but made less of a fuss with baby #2, and by the time baby #3 and #4 came along, I was happy reaching for a diaper from the stack at change-time. My mom actually accused me of being lazy with my last, as he was still in daytime diapers at age 4.

Needless to say, I wasn't lazy, but rather, relaxed. :)

Last edited:

BusynMember

Yes!! Relaxed lol!

I get why you copied your mom. She sounds great. I did nothing my mother did on purpose. I thought she was a horrible parent. I do say endearing things to my kids, even now, that my beloved grandmother said to me. She knew how to make somebody feel really loved!

Pink Elephant

Yes!! Relaxed lol!

I get why you copied your mom. She sounds great. I did nothing my mother did on purpose. I thought she was a horrible parent. I do say endearing things to my kids, even now, that my beloved grandmother said to me. She knew how to make somebody feel really loved!
I never could justify moms I knew who spanked their children for accidents. No kid deserves that.

I agree, having a solid role-model is key to thinking like I did. Without my moms guidance, I honestly don't know if I would have turned out to be like I am, nor do I think I would have been the mother that I was.

KTMom91

A friend of Miss KT's is doing the whole homeschool/cloth diaper/plant based thing. I honestly don't know how she keeps going. She's 26, has five kids, and does a heck of a job keeping things running smoothly. Her hubby is career military, and he's a very involved dad, including the kids in everything. She had pictures up of the older boys practicing archery with Dad.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I tried cloth. They fell right off Rose's tiny bottom. Even people who swore by them couldn't get them to stay on.

mother in law used to say she HAD to use cloth on Bill because the disposables gave him a horrible "allergic" rash. After seeing her parenting for 15 years, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the diapers. He is, too. The only times Rose got a bad rash were when she was being watched by sister in law... Who "didn't realize" the diapers were wet because Rose "didn't tell" her. The first time, Rose was 9 months old, the second (and last), Rose was 23 months old. (She potty trained late... But on her own terms, as everything else.) sister in law, of course, learned from mother in law... And Bill, who is 5 years younger.

Pink Elephant

A friend of Miss KT's is doing the whole homeschool/cloth diaper/plant based thing. I honestly don't know how she keeps going. She's 26, has five kids, and does a heck of a job keeping things running smoothly. Her hubby is career military, and he's a very involved dad, including the kids in everything. She had pictures up of the older boys practicing archery with Dad.
Good on her! So refreshing seeing today's mothers going back to practicing old-fashioned things. Love it!

Pink Elephant

I tried cloth. They fell right off Rose's tiny bottom. Even people who swore by them couldn't get them to stay on.

mother in law used to say she HAD to use cloth on Bill because the disposables gave him a horrible "allergic" rash. After seeing her parenting for 15 years, I'm pretty sure it wasn't the diapers. He is, too. The only times Rose got a bad rash were when she was being watched by sister in law... Who "didn't realize" the diapers were wet because Rose "didn't tell" her. The first time, Rose was 9 months old, the second (and last), Rose was 23 months old. (She potty trained late... But on her own terms, as everything else.) sister in law, of course, learned from mother in law... And Bill, who is 5 years younger.
ROFLMAO! I agree, it does take some practice, and properly folding, but once you get the hang of it, it does become second-nature.

I find with the old-fashioned cloth diapers, they do tend to sag and droop anyway, but proper fastening does make for a better fitting diaper (for sure), and probably more comfortable for baby, too.

My kids still got rashes with cloth diapers, and I was forever peering down their pants to check them. I think it all depends on the kid and how well their skin (bottom) stands up to the type of diaper they are wearing.

One of my nephews used to rash really bad from rubber pants, yet my kids bottoms were never bothered by rubber pants. Good thing, because this old-fashioned mom used rubber pants fulltime.