Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

Pink Elephant

I do t think my mother could have paid me enough candy bars to get me to clean my siblings dirty butts lol. I was defiant if I didn't want to do something and that would not have happened.

When Princess was twelve though we got Sonic and Jumper one right after the other and she initiated changing their diapers and likes to tease Jumper that she changed her diapers. She was really loving g toward the littles.
ROFLMAO! Silly me used to watch my mom change diapers (oldest sibling), and I couldn't wait to start changing diapers. Oh my word, am I really admitting that? LOL! But you know, I think it's nothing different than a young girl with her baby doll. She feeds, changes, and cares for it just like a real mom does to a real baby, and for me, my baby dolls were real baby siblings to play mommy to.

LOL, about older siblings teasing younger siblings over changing their diapers. Oh, yes, not only do I do that to a couple of younger cousins of mine whom I babysat (and changed) when they were babies, I tease my nieces and nephews over such, and I used to regularly remind my own kids of the fact when they were younger.

AppleCori

ROFLMAO! Silly me used to watch my mom change diapers (oldest sibling), and I couldn't wait to start changing diapers. Oh my word, am I really admitting that? LOL! But you know, I think it's nothing different than a young girl with her baby doll. She feeds, changes, and cares for it just like a real mom does to a real baby, and for me, my baby dolls were real baby siblings to play mommy to.

LOL, about older siblings teasing younger siblings over changing their diapers. Oh, yes, not only do I do that to a couple of younger cousins of mine whom I babysat (and changed) when they were babies, I tease my nieces and nephews over such, and I used to regularly remind my own kids of the fact when they were younger.

Interesting what we remember and what we don’t.

Honestly, I truly don’t remember anything about siblings and their diapers. I can’t say whether they wore cloth or disposable with any accuracy, and I can’t say whether I ever changed them or not.

I was older than some, but maybe not enough older to remember that kind of detail.

Pink Elephant

Interesting what we remember and what we don’t.

Honestly, I truly don’t remember anything about siblings and their diapers. I can’t say whether they wore cloth or disposable with any accuracy, and I can’t say whether I ever changed them or not.

I was older than some, but maybe not enough older to remember that kind of detail.
It really is interesting. I've always had a great memory for past things. Dear sister-in-law, Marlene, remembers changing her baby siblings cloth diapers, too, so I think it's just one of those things that older siblings tend to remember and hold onto. Maybe it's the responsibility we take on so early, at such a young age.

Interestingly enough, dear sister-in-law put her kids through cloth diapers and rubber pants, too. Makes one wonder if there's a correlation going on.

BusynMember

I remember things back to two years old. But most of my flash memories were either me with my grandma (wearing cute dresses and bonnets my mother sewed...she had a real gift for sewing) and I remember wearing super puffy cute panies, probably over the rubber pants. I have memories of being teased and humiliated too by my mother, my pervy uncle and kids at school. I have none of watching my mom changing my siblings. I don't think it interested me at all. When I played with my baby dolls, I did not change their diapers or feed them. I sat them in circles to play with each other and I did hug and kiss them. I put them to sleep and covered them at night. I have flash memories of Florida when I was four and I remember some school stuff. I remember a creepy night when I was no more than three with my uncle in a bedroom and him telling me a story and trying to scare me and me crying. And my mom finally laughing a little as she called from another room "Stu come on stop it." She said it with no force and much amusement and this has always been a vivid memory for me. I always hated this uncle. Anyway....

I don't remember ever watching my mom do anything. She didn't really do much though. I did not learn basic house skills from her. I don't think she fussed too much with my siblings but maybe she did and I paid no attention.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

SOT. I think if both you and Apple, had experienced caring for baby siblings, I'm certain you guys would have remembered more than you do. I think that's why I remember as vividly as I do, it was as if I was a mother twice in my life, in two different eras.

I wanted to be involved with the daily care of my baby sibs so bad. I have a friend who wasn't allowed to change her baby siblings, because of the pins, and she still harvests bitterness over it to this day. So glad my mom was more free in that regard.

Also am convinced each of us remember certain aspects of our lives depending on importance.

SOT. I am so glad you are settled into a comfortable existence now. You deserve all the good that comes your way! :)

AppleCori

SOT. I think if both you and Apple, had experienced caring for baby siblings, I'm certain you guys would have remembered more than you do. I think that's why I remember as vividly as I do, it was as if I was a mother twice in my life, in two different eras.

I wanted to be involved with the daily care of my baby sibs so bad. I have a friend who wasn't allowed to change her baby siblings, because of the pins, and she still harvests bitterness over it to this day. So glad my mom was more free in that regard.

Also am convinced each of us remember certain aspects of our lives depending on importance.

SOT. I am so glad you are settled into a comfortable existence now. You deserve all the good that comes your way! :)

I just wasn’t that interested in baby care as a child.

I liked to be outside running and playing and had no time for babies, or dolls for that matter. Everything I had to do inside was a chore, and not something I particularly remembered. I remember lots of outdoor stuff, though.

Pink Elephant

I just wasn’t that interested in baby care as a child.

I liked to be outside running and playing and had no time for babies, or dolls for that matter. Everything I had to do inside was a chore, and not something I particularly remembered. I remember lots of outdoor stuff, though.
I was the same when it came outdoorsy stuff and things, too, Apple. Loved being outside with friends/family.

Keep in mind, Apple (after me), my mom had another kid in 1966, another in 1968, another in 1971, and another in 1973. There was almost always two in diapers at a time in our house, with (at times) an older one in diapers at nighttime, so my mom really appreciated my help.

BusynMember

I wanted to be in my room with my dolls. I didn't really ever feel joy about having siblings until my brother was old enough to play. I really didn't like my sister at all until she was about 13. I had no interest in baby care and the poop or feeding. My parents NEVER went out or did anything together so I couldn't have babysat even if I had wanted to and would have been attentive. I didn't want to and would not have been attentive. I was super into my own head, always thinking about stories to write and often oblivious to what was going on around me. A coping mechanism for a bad home life. I thought about fairy castles and princesses, not my icky family.

Last edited:

AppleCori

I was the same when it came outdoorsy stuff and things, too, Apple. Loved being outside with friends/family.

Keep in mind, Apple (after me), my mom had another kid in 1966, another in 1968, another in 1971, and another in 1973. There was almost always two in diapers at a time in our house, with (at times) an older one in diapers at nighttime, so my mom really appreciated my help.

I remember holding the baby once in the morning and when the school bus driver honked the horn, I jumped up and dropped the baby on the floor. I don’t remember her wanting me to help much after that....

Pink Elephant

I remember holding the baby once in the morning and when the school bus driver honked the horn, I jumped up and dropped the baby on the floor. I don’t remember her wanting me to help much after that....
OMG, Apple, hands over my eyes. I did not read that, repeat, I did not read that. :)

BusynMember

Lol. I'm glad she is okay. I can see me doing that except I never held my siblings nor did I want to.

Funny thing is i grew up to love all babies and was a very mindful, watchful, involved mommy who loved to carry my babies. If they cried, I picked them up. I was very attentive. At one time I was known as the neighborhood mom, but that was more when Bart and Goneboy were eight and older. We would have bikes from neighbor kids from our doorstoop to the entire sidewalk past our next door neighbors large home. Easily ten plus boys in our small house after school each day. I loved it.

AppleCori

Lol. I'm glad she is okay. I can see me doing that except I never held my siblings nor did I want to.

Funny thing is i grew up to love all babies and was a very mindful, watchful, involved mommy who loved to carry my babies. If they cried, I picked them up. I was very attentive. At one time I was known as the neighborhood mom, but that was more when Bart and Goneboy were eight and older. We would have bikes from neighbor kids from our doorstoop to the entire sidewalk past our next door neighbors large home. Easily ten plus boys in our small house after school each day. I loved it.

Apparently I as not great with kids when I was a child, but I managed to figure it out!

Pink Elephant

Anyone remember $1.44 Day?

I remember Woolworth's, Woolco, and Kmart, all put on $1.44 Day, but I seem to remember that Zellers did, too.

Anyhow, $1.44 Day, was the day (if you were a mom that used cloth diapers) you made a mad-dash to whatever store (first thing on Monday morning) to save on rubber pants for the baby.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Anyone else remember old-fashioned vinyl-padded baby hampers?

Used one just like this in our house when my baby siblings were little. Pyjama bottoms, crib sheets, etc (anything not wet or soiled) was tossed in until laundry day.

My aunt, Jeanne, used one and kept extra diapers and rubber pants (clean) in hers. I used it all the time when babysitting and changing my cousins.

Does this ever bring back memories. A true walk down Memory Lane!

il_fullxfull.1578690171_3uur.jpg

Last edited: