Old-fashioned sounds...

Pink Elephant

Whether in the past or recent, what sorts of old-fashioned sounds has your home witnessed?

Maybe it was the sound of an old-fashioned washing machine in the basement, clunking and grinding away on laundry day. A washing machine that long needed to be replaced.

Maybe it was the sound of an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine being run through it's paces.

Maybe it was the sound of rubber sheets being tugged off of baby's crib on laundry day.

And maybe, just maybe, it was cloth diapers in your home, too, like it was ours, where the plasticy rustling sound of rubber pants could be heard when diapers were changed.

Maybe you remember the squeaky sound your outdoor pulley-clothesline used to make, as you tugged on the line to draw it in or send it out.

Anyhow, thought it would be fun to voice our thoughts and experiences with, and maybe, just maybe, you may very well remember such sounds from your childhood.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Maybe it was the sound of an old-fashioned washing machine in the basement, clunking and grinding away on laundry day. A washing machine that long needed to be replaced. Yes! I had an old washing machine that seen a good 30 plus years of use... two adults, 4 kids (all put through cloth diapers), and towards the end it was spitting oil out into the clothes, made a racket like nothing I ever heard, and even got up and walked at times! LOL!

Maybe it was the sound of an old-fashioned treadle sewing machine being run through it's paces. My mom had an old treadle and I remember the peddle sound as she worked. I always thought it took so much coordination to think about what you were sewing, while at the same time, pressing down (again and again) on the large cast iron pedal to move the needle up and down.

Maybe it was the sound of rubber sheets being tugged off of baby's crib on laundry day. Oh yes, stripped many-a rubber sheet when changing baby cribs in my day!

And maybe, just maybe, it was cloth diapers in your home, too, like it was ours, where the plasticy rustling sound of rubber pants could be heard when diapers were changed. Yep, not only did those old rubber pants sound a plastic beat at change-time, they also sounded a distinct plastic beat when in place over an active little bottom, and I vividly remember the loud popping sound the pants would make when I administered a spanking through them! Pants also rustled gently when out on the clothesline on a windy day.

Maybe you remember the squeaky sound your outdoor pulley-clothesline made (or still makes) when you draw the line in and out. My clothesline has always squeaked. I actually love the sound. It's the old-fashioned sound of frugality.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Was also just giving thought to the sound of dishes when being washed and dried the old-fashioned way... by-hand! What a lovely homey sound.

BusynMember

None of that, Pink. Just the distant memory of an old train engine before we moved to the suburbs. It was loud and squeaky!

I don't associate washing dishes by hand as homey...lol. I don't remember the sound either and think we had more updated appliances in our house. My mom had a regular sewing machine and she sewed well but I didn't pay much attention to it. I didn't have any interest. The washer and dryer weren't noisy.

KTMom91

Rain on the aluminum awnings over the windows.

Doves cooing in the mornings/evenings. Reminds me of my Nana's yard.

Pink Elephant

None of that, Pink. Just the distant memory of an old train engine before we moved to the suburbs. It was loud and squeaky!

I don't associate washing dishes by hand as homey...lol. I don't remember the sound either and think we had more updated appliances in our house. My mom had a regular sewing machine and she sewed well but I didn't pay much attention to it. I didn't have any interest. The washer and dryer weren't noisy.
Well shucks, here I thought hand-washing and drying dishes was old-fashioned. :)

We were really poor though, so that was probably the difference in our house as compared to other people's homes that had money. We didn't even had an electric tumble dryer until later.

OMG, SOT... I laughed so good when I read your previous post, because it came across as though all we had on our feet were plastic bags! LOL! :laugh:

Pink Elephant

Rain on the aluminum awnings over the windows.

Doves cooing in the mornings/evenings. Reminds me of my Nana's yard.
The doves calling reminds me of when I stayed with my great aunt on her farm, and would we woken by the roosters early in the morning. I loved that and still love it to this day, KTMom.