Cloth Diapers

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I was completely toilet trained, then my parents split when I was 3 (for 6 months) and I regressed. It took about 3 more years. I slept so deeply, I didn't even realize. However... The old "gold star on the calendar" worked for me. Then again, I was pretty NT.

How sad. I'm happy to know your son now enjoys a healthy and happy home.
I wish this was the case... Well, he's safe for now. He's living with Bill's sister, but unfortunately she's about had it with his behavior, too. :sigh:

Pink Elephant

I was completely toilet trained, then my parents split when I was 3 (for 6 months) and I regressed. It took about 3 more years. I slept so deeply, I didn't even realize. However... The old "gold star on the calendar" worked for me. Then again, I was pretty NT.

I wish this was the case... Well, he's safe for now. He's living with Bill's sister, but unfortunately she's about had it with his behavior, too. :sigh:
I remember kids I used to babysit that had gone through the trials and tribulations of their parents separating or divorcing, typically wore diapers longer, nighttime diapers especially, and some of those children suffered regular spankings as a result of pants-wetting and/or soiling, which in my opinion only added to accidents and woes.

I was toilet trained at around age 2, but remember youngest baby brother wasn't trained until he was well over 2... not at all the standard for the day. Though I wasn't trained with a reward system (nor were my kids), I like the idea.

LOL! Love that little balloon emoticon!

Pink Elephant

How were your accidents handled? Rubber crib sheet? Diapers? I did both with my kids and my mom did the same with my baby brother.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
How were your accidents handled? Rubber crib sheet? Diapers? I did both with my kids and my mom did the same with my baby brother.
I honestly don't remember... I had a twin-sized bed, probably had a rubber or plastic sheet underneath. That WAS 40 years ago...

Pink Elephant

In lieu of another thread conversation this morning, I'm resurrecting this older topic again in hopes of drawing-in a few more older crowd moms that may have used cloth diapers as a result of helping out with the care of baby siblings... baby siblings that also wore cloth diapers.

I'm interested to see if there is a correlation between our way of thinking as far as choosing certain ways and things for our children, that we ourselves had, or baby siblings had.

To help put things into perspective, my sister-in-law, Marlene, who isn't a member here (yet)... :), also grew up caring for and changing the cloth diapers of her baby siblings, just as I did, and as moms, both her and I, opted to put our kids through cloth diapers. Coincidental? The result of having ties to our early years? Or does it simply boil-down to and reflect being old-fashioned?

BusynMember

If it was used where you live as late as say 1980 you probably gave it more thought. And if your mother's/aunts touted that they liked cloth diapers best that may have influenced you too. It seems they loved you dearly and had influence over you. If you loved and respected her maybe you wanted to raise your kids like she did.

Where I lived cloth was toast by the time Bart was born in 1977. Also I didn't care what my mother used or how she had raised us (badly) and I never asked her preference. I doubt she had one. Disposables were all I saw and all anyone around me used and were easy to use. Nobody debated diapers. We didn't talk about them lol. We all used disposables without discussing the fact.

Obviously Pink your town was much more old fashion than mine. That is not a bad thing :)

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

SOT. Still used right up until the late 80's and into the early 90's here. By the early 90's, not so much, but the 80's... late 80's included, cloth diaper use was still booming here, and I do mean booming.

Youngest dear son is a 1993 baby, and my sister-in-law's youngest is a 1994 baby, and cloth diapers were in use in both our homes. Never gave it much thought, other than I always had it in my mind that I was going to use cloth diapers as a mom.

Influence is a powerful thing... as is seeing is believing. When you see so many other mothers using them, the thought quickly comes to mind that, they must be reliable and work well. As I told one old neighbour of ours, "I wouldn't have kept turning to cloth diapers for each of my kids if they didn't work for us as a family, or failed to get the job done".

I'm a firm-believer in the idea that (sometimes), what's good for mom, is good for baby, and vice-versa.

Sister-in-law, Marlene, summed it up best many years ago. She said, "if I'm going to be stuck at home changing diapers for years to come, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to use a diaper that works for me". In other words, to heck with what's good for the environment or baby.

BusynMember

I agree,Pink. Cloth was not or never would have been good for me or my babies. Disposables were all you saw in my world and nobody complained or said they didn't work. So it seemed like a good choice. That was all that was used here.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Yep, it truly has to work for each situation. My kids were doomed when it came to wearing cloth, courtesy of their mom. Talk about giving ones kids no choice or say in the matter! LOL! :p

BusynMember

Heh. Well I also felt they are better for the skin and smell better and even if some around me had used cloth, I would not have. To me, why wash and house stinky diapers if I can put a fresh one on each time and toss out the yukky one? I would never have chosen cloth for all those reasons.

However I never saw one kid in cloth since Bart's birth and he is 40. They just are not used here. Now maybe some homeschoolers used them but not the ones in MY homeschool group....so very much not part of my life.

Pink Elephant

I agree, SOT, a favorable case for the use of cloth diapers often needs to be present for most mothers to choose that route. Me on the other-hand, I was just plain old-fashioned when it came to using them. :)

But you're right, there was lots of washing, folding, soaking, rinsing, and changing with the cloth, and every change meant fiddling with safety pins and rubber pants.

BusynMember

Yep. I was really not interested in doing all that when everyone around used disposables. It never crossed my mind. I am not old fashion at all and never want to be in the past. For example, I am lost without my cell. I love it :) I do everything on it. Technology? Bring it on!!! ;) kids on phones doesn't bother me in the least. Funny story next.

I was at the eye doctor and the room was full of senior citizens. I took out my phone to text and happened to look around at the other people.
Every single one of those other grannies like me were also playing with their phones. I thought it was amusing and had to hide a smile.

It's truly mainstream now.

I have no desire to give up my precious phone for a black rotary phone stuck to a wall that gave out busy signals.

I love 2018!!!!! I love Netflix! I love the internet...I have learned so much. I love Smart TVs. We have two. I love my tech friendly security system. I love progress and newness.

That is who I am. I don't hesitate trying the new. I love millineals too.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Yep. I was really not interested in doing all that when everyone around used disposables. It never crossed my mind. I am not old fashion at all and never want to be in the past. For example, I am lost without my cell. I love it :) I do everything on it. Technology? Bring it on!!! ;) kids on phones doesn't bother me in the least. Funny story next.

I was at the eye doctor and the room was full of senior citizens. I took out my phone to text and happened to look around at the other people.
Every single one of those other grannies like me were also playing with their phones. I thought it was amusing and had to hide a smile.

It's truly mainstream now.

I have no desire to give up my precious phone for a black rotary phone stuck to a wall that gave out busy signals.

I love 2018!!!!! I love Netflix! I love the internet...I have learned so much. I love Smart TVs. We have two. I love my tech friendly security system. I love progress and newness.

That is who I am. I don't hesitate trying the new. I love millineals too.
SOT. I am so behind the times when it comes to technology. I have no smartphone, we have no smart-television, no Netflix (never have understood exactly what Netflix even is), and as far as digesting how to operate the navigation system in our vehicle, forget it. I'm just too old for tech stuff and I have no patience to learn it. LOL!

BusynMember

My dad never learned and he was sorry. He couldn't receive kid pictures and stuff. It really is NOT hard and it's not going away :)

My dad's friends, all in their 80s, had cell phones and computers. He was the only one who couldn't communicate that way and he had to wait for landline calls. Most people don't have landlines.

Pink Elephant

It's so true, SOT. We still have a landline and probably always will, but it wouldn't hurt me to learn a few new things. Then again, I'm one of those people who balk at change. HATE change. :)

Mrs.mom

I'm a younger mom that uses cloth diapers. I wanted to save money. I use all in ones. It's just like disposable diapers, except you wash them. (No pinning or folding) They make really cute designs. I started using cloth diapers when my older child was potty training. He would take off his diapers every 5 minutes and I felt like it was a waste of money. The only thing is that stores don't usually have them, so I had to order them online. My grandma thought I was crazy to use cloth diapers. I had to explain the new ones to her.
I still have a landline but don't use it much.

Pink Elephant

I'm a younger mom that uses cloth diapers. I wanted to save money. I use all in ones. It's just like disposable diapers, except you wash them. (No pinning or folding) They make really cute designs. I started using cloth diapers when my older child was potty training. He would take off his diapers every 5 minutes and I felt like it was a waste of money. The only thing is that stores don't usually have them, so I had to order them online. My grandma thought I was crazy to use cloth diapers. I had to explain the new ones to her.
I still have a landline but don't use it much.
Welcome to our warm and friendly home, Mrs. Mom!

Gee, with a name like, Mrs. Mom, there was no question in my mind that you didn't have experience using or were currently using cloth diapers. :)

Yes, today's modern version are so different than the diapers I used on my bunch. So refreshing to see more and more mothers making the switch back again.

How are the modern cloth diapers when it comes to laundering? As in drying times and washing? I've seen some in pictures that look so bulky that would leave one to think they'd never dry, and as for washing, possibly so thick and bulky that cleanliness could possibly be a problem.

With the old-fashioned diapers that I used, they dried super quick regardless of whether I was drying them outside on the line or in my electric tumbler, and they always washed-up so fresh and clean, because they were so thin and sheet-like.

I think for toilet training, cloth diapers do a great job at making a kid feel wet and uncomfortable.

I think regardless of what method/style of cloth diapers on chooses, it's a win-win situation when it comes to the household budget and pocketbook.

These are the diapers I used. Back in the 80's, when my kids were babies, it worked out to be about .80¢ a diaper.

Last edited: