OMG - I cant this - really

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Having heard horror stories about some of those boot camps and the tragic outcomes for a handful of kids, I can appreciate your anxiety. I don't understand how they can do nothing about his medication. If he was diabetic, would they just tell him to tough it out? It's crazy. WHY isn't there a doctor on staff??? He can't possibly the only kid there on medications. Are you supposed to have your own psychiatrist interface with the camp?

meowbunny

I think we responded to what you said: "Now they have him on a desert walk for possibly days at time as a consequence. This is sounding more and more like boot camp. I am freaking out. What if he dies in the desert." You did not say he was going to be terminated from the program because he was unmanageable. You did mention in your other post that he would have to leave when he turns 18. I'm sorry if we misunderstood but we can only respond to what we are told.

If they feel he is unmanageable, why are they bothering with consequences? Do they have any recommendations as to where he could go? Maybe they need to take him to a hospital for a medwash and possibly new medications and then have him come back and try again? One thing I can assure you of is that they won't just kick him out. They'll put him on a plane to you. No way are they going to be willing to risk the lawsuiit if something happened.

What are the chances that Matt will be willing to stay with a program once he turns 18? I doubt any program other than a mental health facility will be willing to keep him if he refuses to consent to be there. What if he turns 18 and absolutely refuses to take any medications? What are you going to do in those cases?

Unless the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) flat out demands you pick him up, I would let him stay until you can find another placement for him. Right now, you really can't let him come home. He is too volatile.

I truly wish there were some easy answers for boys like yours, but there aren't. He has to want to change, to work whatever program he's at, to "get it." The best you can do is try to find a proper setting for him. I don't know if one exists but I hope so.

So, no advice, but many wishes that you find some answers that you can live with and that will help Matt.

busywend

Steely, do not forget that we are on the outside looking in. I do not believe anyone here has lived the life you have lived in the last year.

I had no idea that his death would be such a concern. But, of course it makes perfect sense that you would worry about that most now that I read what you responded.
I had no idea the stress you feel is due to possibly having to figure out another solution.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to go back to the person that recommended this place and discuss alternatives should the need arise. Perhaps just having the back up plan will alleviate some stress.

Marguerite

Considering the year you have had, it is very understandable that you would be so focussed on your son's safety. Your concern is another facet of my concern for you - you've had an appalling time and there is no way you could be sufficiently over it yet, to be able to cope with all this upheaval on your own.

However - I am a pragmatic person. Just because my focus was on the issues you raised and not on the emotions you expressed, doesn't mean I don't 'get' you desperate you feel. I also do get it. But if I express it too, it isn't really giving you any help. It would just be one more person (me) wringing my hands and not actually HELPING.

Although I do acknowledge I'm probably not able to help as much as I'd like. My personal knowledge of boot camps is likely to be less than yours; difficult child 1 was sent to one for a week and from what he told me, I think it was probably a picnic compared to the sort your son is on.

So because I AM a pragmatic person, please do not feel offended or dismissed if I seem detached - it's just me trying to think of practical ways to deal with the issues you face. If you need to, blame it on cultural differences - we are a pragmatic people. Consider it the Aussie version of the British "stiff upper lip".

I am going to try to summarise your concerns. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Your son attacked you physically. You had him hospitalised - you were scared for your safety, but you're also scared for his.

2) It's been a bad year for you both, emotionally. A lot of turmoil, a lot of upheaval. Without comparing what you each have been through, you ARE both dealing with extreme grief each in your own way, which also means you each are LESS capable than is usual of two grieving people, to support one another; you each have issues over this that are too difficult to fully express to each other. For example, you have lost a twin who you felt was your other half. He has lost a favourite aunt. Two very different concepts.

3) All this upheaval, plus possible medication issues, plus anger which may or may not have been part of the grief/trauma issues, could well have triggered his outburst.

4) There is past history which is making you deeply afraid for his safety. On top of this, there is your current grief plus your very recent experiences adding to your own fears for him. At this point I express concern for you - here is one big area where it is VERY difficult for you to see this objectively. You may be very right to be concerned - or you may be over-reacting. Or anywhere in between.

5) Your son was placed in this 'boot camp' (for want of a more accurate term). And almost immediately, the rules change and you're told he won't be able to stay past 18. And from the sound of it, these sort of places don't expect to throw them out with that sort of a deadline (I could be wrong here - as I said, correct me if I am). So you are concerned that he will be ejected suddenly with no provisions made for his placement or his care.
Please tell me - how likely is this, really, to happen? Again, I could be wrong - maybe this DOES happen. But from my understanding - it shouldn't. It would be immoral, to say the least. As I see it, they have a duty of care, having taken him in to this extent, to at least give a hand over when he leaves. I mean - even if you go to the emergency room at the hospital for a cut finger, you get a hand-over when you leave, in the form of a letter to your regular doctor. Or doesn't it happen this way in the US?
So, looking at it practically - if he has to leave when he's 18, it seems to me they would be legally responsible for him until he is given an alternative placement, or released with someone delegated to supervise (through follow-up) where he goes and how he lives.
Now, it IS possible that someone thinks that YOU will be where he goes and who takes over his care.
So here is where YOU need to do something (and I think you already have) to make it clear that coming home is not going to be a satisfactory option. It would be putting things back exactly the way they were before, when he attacked you.

5) Now, almost in contrast with the previous point - on the one hand, you are concerned they will toss him out on his ear when he turns 18, but on the other hand they are getting in touch with you and telling you he is "unmanageable" - this is interesting. And I think could actually be a good thing for him, and for you. Because surely it means they are LESS likely to throw him out? At least, not without making sure he and you are both safe, and that strategies are in place.

Have you specifically asked them what happens for him from here? What do THEY say happens when he turns 18? What about if he continues to be a problem? What about if he dramatically improves? What do they intend doing with him, in each of these possibilities? And with each of their answers, what do you feel about them? And will you be safe, but still able to have the contact with him at the level you want? Is there anything practical you need to know about, to begin putting into place?

medication issues - that is entirely out of my experience, other than friends going through similar problems. But what has been said is true - it is up to him to take any medications prescribed, once he is out on his own. Getting him stabilised now won't do any good if he isn't motivated to keep taking medications.

You mentioned something about an advocate for him - is that a possibility that someone could be found (other than you) to be his advocate? I do understand the problems of having offspring who can be legally adult but in other ways cannot function as one. If someone could be found to take on this role, it would be surely something that would be useful for you? It could provide another string to his bow, at least.

Also, is there any possible advocate for you?

I still think you need to use the time he is away, to get some help and respite for yourself too. You need to be good to yourself (and maybe find someone else to be good to you) to help you in your own recovery from the ghastly year you have had.

Marg

slsh

member since 1999
Steely,

I think Busy has a great idea - go back to where you got this referral and tell them you need other options.

Since his b-day is imminent, I'd also recommend calling your state dept of mental health. Find out what programs and supports are available for adults, especially in terms of housing. Get him on the waiting lists.

If the funding for this Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is through the state, call that agency. I would think there should be a case manager lurking somewhere who should be a resource for you.

If this Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is unable to handle him, they should in my humble opinion have a process to assist you find a more appropriate placement rather than just telling you "we can't handle him, you have to find someplace else". Based on my experience, there should be a continuity of care with resources at this Residential Treatment Center (RTC) to help with the next step. It's called discharge planning and it applies not only to kids coming home but to kids who need a different placement. That is on Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s shoulders.

I think I understand your concerns for his safety, but I also assume that you were aware of all the aspects of this program, including possible consequences.

I'm sorry you're not feeling heard here, Steely. Speaking for myself only, I see a mom who is frantically trying to insure her son's safety and treatment especially as the dreaded 18th b-day approaches. I can only respond based on what we're going thru here with thank you. I've been dealing with placements for over 8 years now - searching for *the* answer, the right place, the right staff who will get that lightbulb to turn on for thank you, and the facility that will protect him from himself. Right now, that place doesn't exist for him. While thank you has a bit of a safety net in terms of housing while he's still in school, how long that will last is really in question right now. thank you will not live here again, period. He may very well end up living on the streets but it will be by *his* choice because there are other options. husband and I have made a very conscious decision not to allow thank you's poor choices to rule our world for the rest of our lives, and we are trying very hard to keep the hand-wringing to a minimum because there's nothing we can do about it in real terms.

My son is significantly impaired. It's my opinion that he needs ongoing supervision well into adulthood, possibly for life. But unless he buys into it, there's not a doggone thing I can do about it. I suspect you might see that as giving up or not caring. After more tears than I can tell you, husband and I see it as an acceptance that there is very little more we can do for thank you. I can call every agency and adult placement in the state, set up services out the ears but if thank you is uncooperative (which he is), the adult programs aren't going to waste their time on him. There are enough adults out there who *want* help.

I understand the need to do "something". I don't know what to suggest to you other than continue to make the calls, try to find a placement and services. It's not easy. Services are spread out and tough to find but they are there. And keep doing it until you make the decision for yourself that it's enough. At some point, M is going to have to start participating in his own life and be responsible for the quality of that life, mental illness or not.

Stella Johnson

Well, from what I can gather from your posts this is more of a boot camp than an Residential Treatment Center (RTC). If they don't have psychiatrists on staff I really don't think this is the place for him. Boot camps are for troubled teens that are mentally stable, your difficult child is not. I don't think this is the right placement for your difficult child.

I'm not sure what to tell you to do. You can't bring him home. He could seriously hurt you next time. There shouldn't be a next time.

How did you find this place? Is the state paying for it? If so, maybe they can help with- other options. I know there is a good Residential Treatment Center (RTC) in Waco that could handle him. I know of two other difficult children that went there.

Is your job ok with you taking time off? I know you have taken some time in the past.

Sorry this is all falling apart. :sad-very:

Steph

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
<<HUGS>> sweetie you can do this. He needs to do this, they will (are legally required) to make sure he is ok, and if you're still feeling unsure, can you call a local agency for the area where he is, to advocate on your behalf? I know you said you had checked on this program prior to sending him. If you're not getting the reassurance you're seeking can you sepak to someone higher up>?

Better he be in boot camp now then prison later, where they really will not care about him. I am saying this as much for myself, as for you, I tend to waffle when it comes to difficult child I! Trust me, I hear you and I do understand. But our guys are only a hop, skip and a jump away from 18, where we won't be able to protect them at all! My 17 y/o is also very VERY immature, I am terrified for his future, because the law will not care! I give you so much credit for doing this, and I completely sympathize with your worried heart.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Steely....I was sitting in bed this morning and I had a thought. It may be far fetched and it may not work...but its worth a shot. Have you considered calling, writing, begging the Dr. Phil show for help? You are in Tx, he is from Tx. He has tons of resources that he can access even for those over 18. If he recommends a place you would know it was a legitimate place. He also gets testing done on people so maybe you could get more up to date medical info done on Matt with better medications in place to help him.

I dont know that he would take your story...but he might. It couldnt hurt to try.

witzend

I think that not picking him up right away is good advice, if they are not kicking him out right away. Also, asking for help from the place where you got the original referral.

I worry about your level of stress. I know that this feels overwhelming now. You need to be strong and see things clearly. Taking care of yourself and your needs doesn't mean not taking care of Matt and his needs. It's just that it is more difficult to take care of Matt's needs when you are so distraught. I hope that you are able to find someone who can help you see the options available to both of you.