Opening someone else's mail is like opening a can of worms

keista

First of all, it was an honest accident. I'm the only adult in the household, so unless it's around one of the kids' birthdays, It's pretty safe to assume all the mail is mine. Needless to say when I get the mail, I just start opening.

Today I received a letter from DCF correctly addressed to my address but the name was for my ex-friend that lived with me 3 1/2 years ago. I kicked her out when she started using, stealing (from mother in law) and selling drugs.

Here's where it gets weirder. The letter was not addressing my ex-friend, but her brother. WTH? It was regarding food stamps benefits. So, it looked like this:

Ex-Friend
Keista's address

Dear Brother,

Of course, it's impossible to get to talk to a live person, especially if you don't have an account. I could file a fraud report online, but this isn't necessarily fraud.

Anyone have any ideas of how this is transpiring? They are both over 50. I think he's on disability, but not sure. Last I heard she was working, but don't know if it's "on the books".

I'm thinking of sending this back with a letter of apology for opening it, but could they please fix their records because neither of them live here.

If it is a case of fraud, it really pisses me off. Not just because of the actual fraud, but if I needed to file for benefits and my address gets flagged as a household already getting benefits.......yeah. Not pleased.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I would not SEND it - I would DRIVE there and TALK to someone in PERSON at the WINDOW ----------And make DANGED SURE it was handled WHILE I WAS STANDING THERE.........Know what I mean??

I don't trust FS people to get it right in a letter - it only serves to confuse and convolute the matter further. And it looks Suspicious to them......go in person - show ID, show YOUR card, and SPLAIN TO THEM....IN PERSON.

DammitJanet

It could be much less suspicious than what any of you are thinking ... trust me. Addresses get crossed up in those computerized systems all the time. If friends address was ever at your address and her name got confused with her brothers name...they could mix/match them easily in these new days of computers much more easily than the old days of pen and paper.

When they pull my address up it lists people here who have only vaguely had a connection to my family. Not my actual family or their significant others. I get lists of people who ever had my phone numbers. People Cory ever talked to online and was stupid enough to give our address out to and the committed credit card fraud and sent the product to our house and expected Cory to open up a UPS account to ship the items to them. Ummm...guess they didnt realize he had a MOTHER!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We get a lot of collections calls for the next door neighbor. I've no idea how they got our phone number...

At one point, the court also swapped our address and bio's. Mind, bio had NEVER lived at our addy, so... And the way their system is set up, it had to have been hand typed. Ugh.

TerryJ2

If the ofc is close enough, I'd hand deliver it with-an explanation. Otherwise, I'd mail it with-the explanation. Try not to stress out about it!

trinityroyal

I agree that you should deal with it in person. It has the potential to be confusing, and if you're there then you can answer questions and provide clarification. I also agree that it's very easy for address and other such data to get confused in systems. Often they go with the last known address of whomever.

shellyd67

I would mark it "return to sender" and put it in mailbox.

I get all kinds of mail that is incorrect even addressed to people in Florida or California and I live in Pennsylvania ??? Go figure !

I also get collection agency calls for my brother in law and his son. I freaked out and gave them the phone #'s and told them "get it taken care of now!"

donna723

I have no idea how they ever cross-reference this stuff. Must be some wonderful "system" they have there! I once got a phone call from a collection agency looking for my son-in-laws father! I've only met the man twice, haven't seen him in years, and he lives over 600 miles away! My daughter got the same phone call but that's understandable because they live in the same town as him and have the same last name. They have nothing to do with him and haven't talked to him for years either. But how on earth did they ever tie him in with me when the only connection is that my daughter is married to his son?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Donna... I recently got a collections call for bio.

Since she never took husband's last name... I'm at a loss.

I do agree that in person is the best, if you can. If not, in writing is good, and include a phone number where they can reach you.