PM fit, difficult child punched HIMSELF!!!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Personally, I have taken any sort of aggression, self harming or toward others very seriously. It isn't a game; for some children it becomes a habitual response to frustrations, anger, whatever.

Saying that, depending on the level of injury your difficult child inflicted on you & himself I would be calling psychiatrist this morning & reporting this. Could it be a response to medications - sure, it might be. It could be any number of things - at 7 it's really hard to say.

In the meantime, it sounds like difficult child needs to learn different skills to cope. Bedtime ritual should maybe be started an hour earlier with calmer routines. And then gentle reminders to difficult child every 10 minutes or so that the bedtime countdown has begun.

If the word bedtime sets him off use room time. That is the word we use here for both of the tweedles. They both have their respective room time before lights out & sleep.

Keep us posted on how things go today.

BusynMember

Could it be the medications? Sure. Ritalin and Prozac are both stimulating. My daughter, while taking Prozac, pulled a knife on herself, a first. My son taking Prozac thought he could fly and kept jumping off his desk at school. On Ritalin, or any stimulant, he got aggressive, and he's not an aggressive kid. I would be thinking of a second opinion. The type of treatment he is getting, and those medications, aren't helping him. He could very well have been misdiagnosed, which can be dangerous. The wrong medications can definitely cause kids and adults to get worse, even dangerous. I've taken Ritalin and probably most antidepressants myself and I have bipolar. Ritalin made me nuts--it IS speed. Unless you really have ADHD, it will act like speed. It made me very high, then I crashed--it was horrible. Prozac was one antidepressant that I tried that didn't work for me. It made me manicky at first, then so depressed that I couldn't pull out of it. You may want to get a neuropsychologist evaluation for more testing and a better clarification as to what the problem is. I never trust first time opinions anymore nor do I trust regular therapists to diagnose. I like NeuroPsychs bests and Psychiatarists (with the MD) a distant second. NeuroPsychs are the only ones who test kids at every level and for all areas of function. They aren't 100% accurate. Nobody is. But in my opinion they can come the closest to helping both us, as adults who have disorders, and our children. I don't like appointments that last an hour and split second diagnosis. and then pulling out the prescription pad. It's like they're guessing because they don't really know (at least to me). Been there many times with both myself and my son. Good luck!
PS--I slammed my car into a cement garage door while coming off of Tofrinil. I was NOT myself. Coming off of medications is also touchy. Be sure, if you get another opinion, you switch any medication slowly.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Just wanted to send huge ((HUGS)) and to say I am so sorry for your situation. You are in my thoughts. I can't imagine having to deal with the behavior you're dealing with. You're an incredibly strong woman and mother! I hope there's a light at the end of your tunnel.