Quiche recipes?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Now that we've got three hens laying, I've got to figure out what to do with all these eggs we're accumulating!

I gave husband's sisters each a 1/2 dozen for Easter, as well as the neighbor whose kids share the chard from their garden with us for the hens to eat (my kids won't touch the stuff).

But that just got rid of the last few weeks of eggs where we only had TWO hens laying. Now we're getting three eggs a day (and we don't eat a lot of eggs as it is, AND DON'T ask me why we have hens if we don't eat a lot of eggs... it's just too long to go into here)...

So, I'm hosting a group of ladies here for lunch next week and I thought I'd make a quiche or two with the eggs we'll have on hand.

Any good recipes out there that you'd care to share?

Marguerite

I use my bread machine and make brioche dough, then pile it into a silicone ring mould. I glaze it with egg too, as I bake it in the oven. We do this when we have visitors coming for afternoon tea (English style) and serve the brioche freshly warm from the oven, with home-made strawberry jam and whipped cream. And coffee or tea. One batch of dough will make two brioches, I have one rising while the first one is baking, then I simply take one out and put the next one in. They will also freeze.

The brioche recipe - it uses several eggs and some butter, mixed in with the dough.

Also worth making - fresh pasta. I use whole egg and flour. No other liquid at all. Just salt in the dough too, or it tastes too bland. It helps to have a pasta machine (hand-cranked with rollers, like an old-fashioned washing mangle) to roll out the dough. I allow 100 g of completed pasta dough per serve, it's a generous amount. I divide the dough up, keep it wrapped until I'm ready, the roll out and cut each 100 g batch according to how the person wants it. For example, difficult child 3 likes 'spaghetti' (thin tagliatelli) while husband likes fettucine (wider strips). I cut the dough and toss it straight into the pot of boiling water, then serve it immediately. If I am cooking for the family, I have a floured plate for each person with the uncooked, cut pasta dough on the plate ready to be dropped into the pot. That way I can be serving out one person's while the next batch is in the water, cooking. Fresh pasta (when it's this fresh) cooks in 60 seconds.

Other great recipes for entertaining - omelettes. Find out what each person wants to be put into their omelette, prepare these ingredients and get ready to go.
For example, I might want prawn & mushroom omelette, husband wants cheese, difficult child 1 wants chicken omelette.

So I cook ahead of time, some mushrooms, some prawns (with onion) and make sure I have plenty of cooked chicken (leftover roast). I have these available. Then in a clean frypan I sizzle a bit of butter, then pour in two beaten eggs. As soon as the base starts to set, I put in a heap of the omelette filling, then as it firms up enough, I fold over the omelette. And serve. Then I begin the next. And so on. Quick, easy, uses lots of eggs.

I love quiche but it IS a lot of trouble.

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Real simple "gourmet" idea - feta cheese and spinach. Just whip together some eggs (depends on how big your pan is but this will freeze too), a package of frozen (thawed) chopped spinach, about an ounce of feta cheese and about a tablespoon of milk per egg. When it's really frothy pour it into the pie shell and cook - husband does 375 degrees till it's golden on top and doesn't jiggle when you move it. I've been known to pull it out just as it starts to set and sprinkle romano cheese on top.

husband also likes to make quiche with corned beef hash and cheddar cheese. The kids love this but I'm not so fond of it.

Bottom line is, anything you put in an omelette, you can put in a quiche!

I side with the kids on the chard... But you could probably put that in quiche and it would be good!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The only ingredients that don't change in a quiche are the eggs, milk/cream and spices. Use whatever veggies/meats you have on hand.

easy child once made a quiche in a large tart pan using 4 eggs, milk/cream, peeled and sliced zucchini, chives, tomatos, and feta cheese. Delish.

I like broccoli, tiny bits of crispy bacon, tiny slices of cooked potatoes, cheddar & meunster cheese. But most times mine are vegetarian, so I leave out the meat.

I second what ST2 said about anything that can go into an omellete can go into a quiche. Have fun with it.

eekysign

Quiche, sadly, is a no-go for me. Mom made me eat it the day I was juuuuuust starting to get sick with a really bad flu, when I was a kid - to this day, I still can't touch the stuff. HOWEVER - I love, love stratas and breakfast casseroles! (probably exactly the same thing, but no mental-block against 'em!).

Things like...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bacon-Egg-and-Cheese-Strata/Detail.aspx
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?s_type=%2Frecipes.php&q=strata&Search=Search&Searcht=
http://www.recipezaar.com/Breakfast-Casserole-10858

Those are just examples, 'cause I usually just make 'em with whatever sounds good at the time. Mushrooms, sausage, bacon, ham, cheese, potatoes, scallions, crab, whatever I either have on hand, or want in 'em. You can do them with veggies, too. :)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
If you make a quiche without any crust, then it is simple and easy!

Also, I recommend souffle--great use of eggs....and very impressive for any get-together.

Don't forget--you need plenty of egg-whites for meringues...so this is a good excuse to make pie (lemon, coconut, banana-cream)....

AND, my favorite, coconut macaroon cookies! Three eggs per two dozen cookies....so if you are baking cookies as gifts, you use a ton of eggs.

Good luck!

(and feel free to send some of those cookies this direction...)

--DaisyF

DammitJanet

I make quiche without the crust because I dont like crust...lol.

I love it with eggs, broccoli florets, cheese, a bit of garlic and maybe bacon bits or chopped ham.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Eeky... Since you like breakfast casseroles... Just throw this stuff together in a pie pan with no crust and call it "egg pie"! LOL That's what my Mom did to me years ago when I refused to eat "quiche".

I had a problem with "scrambled eggs" for years after I had my tonsils out because that's what they fed me the next morning for breakfast. They were at once runny and crunchy and someone decided to spice them up with a LOT of salt. Salt + Tonsil removal incisions = OW!

eekysign

Eeky... Since you like breakfast casseroles... Just throw this stuff together in a pie pan with no crust and call it "egg pie"! LOL That's what my Mom did to me years ago when I refused to eat "quiche".

I had a problem with "scrambled eggs" for years after I had my tonsils out because that's what they fed me the next morning for breakfast. They were at once runny and crunchy and someone decided to spice them up with a LOT of salt. Salt + Tonsil removal incisions = OW!

OW! You poor dear!

I think that's still too eggy! I like the stratas and such 'cause they throw chunks of bread in, breaks up the egginess into a manageable texture.

My absolute fav is bread chunks, egg, garlic, sausage, mushroom, green peppers, and fresh (do not cook!) tomatoes cut up on top. MMMMM.

Darn it all, now I want breakfast. Boooo.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Custard is good, too, as well as homemade cream pies (they use 4 eggs). I haven't had quiche in forever, but we make a ton of custard and cream pies when we have excess eggs. And when we get way too many, I just break them in a pan and give them back to the chickens, shells and all. They love them and they're great for them.

everywoman

1 jar of fresh crabmeat
1 cup of shredded swiss
1 cup of shredded jack
1/2 cup of Parmesan
6-8 eggs beaten
nutmeg
salt
cayenne pepper(just a bit)
Mix together---bake in a crust or crustless

Yummy
(I also use chopped ham, hamburger, bacon, sausage) and change the cheeses to suit what I have on hand.

goldenguru

Not really a quiche - but uses lots of eggs none the less:

Egg bake:

Pan fry about 4 cups potatoes in a little olive oil (I have also used frozen hash browns) till almost tender. Add about 1 - 2 t. seasoned salt and fresh ground pepper. Add other veggies till tender crisp (I like onion, green pepper, mushrooms and asparagus - but use whatever is on hand)

Put potatoes/veggies in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan. Add 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar (sometimes I add leftover ham, breakfast sausage or cooked bacon). Top with 12 well beaten eggs.

Bake at 350 till set (about an hour).

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:picnic: MMMMM... HUNGRY NOW!

Lots of GREAT recipes here -- thank you all so much. Now to decide which to try first! :D

Marguerite

OK, this joke probably won't work now, because of what we're all talking about.

A couple of Aussie blokes drive into the country town from wherever they've been working. Behind the counter of the local sandwich shop and takeaway is a very pretty girl. The first bloke scans the menu board on the wall behind the girl, then looks her fair in the eye and says, "I'll have a quickie, darlin'."
She hauls off and slugs him, hard. As he's reeling back covering his now-blackening eye, his mate says to him,
"It's pronounced QUICHE, you illiterate mongrel."

Marg

Last edited: