Re-Homing Clemmey

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Because I feel like you are all part of my family. I can't keep anything from you all.
Well, more sadness in the Totoro household. Blech. Clemmey is leaving tomorrow.
husband and I have gone over every possible option for us and her. What is fair, taken the human element out of the equation. Taken our own selfishness out of it.

Clemmey is a water dog, we are moving to the hottest place in the country. She has a double oily coat.
She is a field dog, there are no fields. (cactus and rattlers)
She wants to be with us, she can not be in the car in Tucson, too hot.

She needs space, Retrievers are very territorial and BARK, we could only find a place with a small yard.
She needs to track... we work with her every day, whether in the water or in a field. The southwest and in particular Tucson is rated as one of the hardest places for pets to live and adjust to.

The big reason is K
She has become very violent to Clemmey. Kicking, hitting, choking, grabbing her muzzle and squeezing hard. It is getting worse.
I can not and will not let a 9 month old puppy live in this environment.
It is not fair.
So when I say, we had to take out the human element, that is our hearts.

We have a great friend who works on the water and he and his wife and daughter live on a lot of land. They are looking for a protective dog. Their 12 YO pit/boxer mix just passed.
Their daughter is 9yo and wants a dog to sleep with, Clemmey will happily do this. The wife was a vet tech and now stays at home. She will work with Clemmey's hips. She worked at the Vet we go to.

So while this is just so wrong, in my heart, I feel horrible. I feel all of the things that a bad parent feels. But part of me, a huge part knows this is what Clemmey needs.
We have told the girls that she is going to puppy camp. She went there when we had to go to Tucson last time. So we told them that Clemmey needs to be around other puppies and she needs to stay near the water with her friends.
K was just like, oh this makes sense. N understands. But I think she will be hurt for awhile.
I think we will maybe get another dog one day for N. A small one that is short haired. Maybe when K is more stable. Or understands that she is hurting something, and can stop and control herself.
But for now for a long time we will just mourn... and feel horrible.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ahhh...Toto. I can understand your hurt. BUT, at least you know he'll be going to a good home where he can roam, play and snuggle. Retrievers are so beautiful. I'm sure this is very hard.

Abbey

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Bless you for realizing the needs of Clemmey! So many people would keep the dog in miserable conditions because thats what the PEOPLE want......Knowing Clemmey will be happier in her adoptive surroundings should give you some peace.....Takes a lot of strength to make such a decision.....let that strength give you peace.......

Lothlorien

You are doing the right thing. As much as you will miss her and you are hurting, you know you are doing the right thing. I'm sorry. I'm glad that he will have someone to sleep with a new family that will take good care of her.

KTMom91

What a difficult decision! You are doing what is best for Clemmey, as hard as it is for you. I'm so sorry.

totoro

This is going to be so hard. P comes after work to pick her up. The girls are talking openly about it. We have been packing up all of her stuff. She has a lot. I feel like we have fostered a child and realized she would not be safe in my home despite loving her... Everyone at the Vet thinks it will be for the best.
I am a wreck. Of course life goes on, I have a doctor apt today, so I don't even know if I will be here when she goes. Which may be better. She has her little Bears collar on... I am trying not to cry.

Oh golly, I know how much it hurts and feels like a betrayal, but it is the right thing. So sorry for you all. You are good people to put her needs ahead of your desires.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It IS hard to let go, but you ARE doing the right thing. It's okay to cry, hon. I think it's good when our kids know we've got feelings just like them. It can help them process their own feelings, knowing that it's normal to have them...

SRL

I'm sorry for your heatache.

It sounds like you couldn't have found a better home for her.

Star*

call 911........call 911
That was the most beautiful and unselfish thing I have ever seen someone do for their own beloved furkid.

-Tears...

-Hugs for your heart

totoro

Me and the girls just said "goodbye" to Clemmey... husband broke down in my arms. I feel sick.
Thank you all for the kind words. She and I sat and picked Raspberries this morning. She ate most of them! :)

F

flutterbee

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Sometimes the right thing to do is also the hardest. I'm sorry you had to make this decision.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Aww, Toto. So many cyber hugs and tears. But you ARE right in your decision.

Clemmey sleep tight tonight.

Abbey

totoro

I made husband go out and just go hang out with some of the guys tonight. Let it out... I am hanging out with the girls watching "Finding Nemo" getting love from the cats...
Thanks again you guys. It is just like the move, I know it is the right thing.

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, totoro, I am so sorry.

It is a beautiful thing you are doing, even though it is breaking your hearts. Truly unselfish, and I am sooooo very sorry it is needed.

Hugs and tears

Ah babe...my eyes teared up at your first post, but when I read about Clemmy's Bears collar I just outright started bawling.

I know that YOU know that this is the right thing to do. It does not make it any easier, though.

You are such a caring, selfless human being.