Red Dye # 40 an unknown enemy!

For all parents whose children have outrageous, violent outbursts, there is something worth trying. We have removed all traces of the dye from our ADD/ODD sons diet, and although we definitely still have trouble, the change is amazing. If he now gets anything (usually food, drink or medicine) with red #40 he has an outburst within 20 minutes and it is of the worst kind. I have read Yellow dye #5 can also cause similar problems, but we haven't removed it from his diet. Although much isn't written, I have found the Dye red#40 is a common enemy for children with ADD/ADHD/ODD. This coloring is found in dimatapp, amoxicillan, tylenol, doritos, soda, apple pies, white frosting, white and yellow cake mixes, and thousands of other products. Check labels at home and you will be AMAZED!!! I would love to hear from others who have tried, and maybe through this website or someplace else, we could get a listing together of the hundreds of products which need to be kept from our children! Good Luck!

Well it sure aint no UNKNOWN ENEMY in my house. My girl doesnt eat red dye yellow dye ANY DIE. it makes her nuts!!!!! My boy has no problem with it at all!!! Go figure!!!
I hae heard of people who stopped all the dyes and it has 'cured' their kids. It didnt work for mine
frown.gif
but it makes a difference!!! Also the BHT TBHQ and BHA are things to avoid too!!!!!

------------------
Nancy
ODD/BIPOLAR/ADD Girl 6yrs
treatment. Pfeiffer vitamin therapy &
and on Risperdal!
Fav. Funny quote-"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably
still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy
>>

We found that the Feingold diet which eliminates food coloring and other chemicals helped our ADD/ADHD sons. And I believe that while many other things are eliminated, it is the food coloring that is probably the most important thing, especially for my younger son. For instance, he went into a total meltdown after a school birthday party where the teacher had the children POUR food coloring on the icing to make nice designs. Also, interestingly enough, my daughter (age 3) has been on Feingold for almost two years (the whole family has to go on it to really get the kids to keep it) and is temperamental but in much better control than the boys. Yesterday, we went to a pool party and husband fed her these red slushies (bad, bad husband). Well, about one hour later she had one of the worst and longest tantrums of her little life. It lasted for over one hour and we cancelled our plans to visit friends. So I guess she is affected too, though we didn't realize it since she hasn't been exposed before.

Well if you were wondering if the diet was working,,, You got your answer!!!!
I hate that when my girl goes to school and eats things with dyes in them. It usually seems to happen on a friday so I have to put up with her all weekend like that
frown.gif

------------------
Nancy
and on Risperdal!
Fav. Funny quote-"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably
- Snoopy
>>

My youngest who is 4 now is severely allergic to red dye. It has been almost 2 years since I found her trigger and boy was I glad to find out it was this simple. Because for years I just assumed she was demon possessed and there was no hope for her. I have actually had to restrain her and tie her up with her stretch pants to keep her from hurting not only me but herself. I have the bite marks to prove it, but she is just a little angel when she is dye free. She refuses all red items from anyone and says " no thank you it makes me cry " . Just as a quick fix always keep some alka-seltzer GOLD on hand (only the gold) it will neutralize the poison and keep the reaction from being so bad. Even if you can only get some of it in the child it helps.

------------------
ADHD SUCCESS The only choice is an informed choice

I have heard of alka seltzer but doesnt it have asprin in it??? Is that the difference between the regular and the Gold???? That is the reason I have never tried it!!

Also, if you need to, Alka seltzer in orange juice isnt so bad, so if you have a need to use the stuff, try putting it in juice.
I know that i'd rather die than drink alkaseltzer myself!! So, I can only imagine what a kid is like when they have to try it.

------------------
Nancy
and on Risperdal!
- Snoopy
>>