Rude, disrespectful, WHY WHY WHY did I agree to this?

Jabberwockey

and he did text me an apology. A LONNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG text. To which I simply replied "I appreciate your apology". No more, no hashing it out, no trying to explan or give advice or lecture or anything.

The best response you could have given. Ignoring his text might have been interpreted as picking a fight and too long of a response would have only given him ammunition.

I feel bad to the degree that his life will be SO HARD if he doesn't get help. I hate that FOR him.

Feel free to hate that for him. Just don't let it influence your decisions. Just remember that the two words in this quote that we need to highlight and remember are HIS LIFE. His, not ours. His to do with as he pleases. His to screw up as he pleases. Or to fix as he pleases. Its his choice but more importantly, its his responsibility.

Albatross

It will be so hard. SO hard. They have no idea how hard, and we can't communicate that, or they would have heard long ago.

Hopefully when he sees how hard he will get help. That is what I hope for mine every day.

PennyFromTheBlock

Wanted to come and give a quick update- son left Sunday. I had to travel out of town for work on Monday and got home today. To my empty, quiet house.

My daughter came by when she got off work- she indicated that she talked to her brother about the events of Sunday again- and how she was able to deflect when he started the whole "it's not that big of a deal, a hole in the wall can be fixed" mess-

Then she mentioned that she thinks if he doesn't learn to control his anger/temper, that this poor baby is going to grow up and be afraid of his own daddy. Well, after she left, I thought more about that and have had a good cry. It's just horrible! I mean, I'm proud of my son to the degree that like many young men, he very well could have walked away. He didn't. He does take good 'physical' care of his baby.

He mentioned to his sister that he is not going to let SweetBaby grow up and be a 'punk' like he was and get picked on all his life.

The sad thing is instead of teaching that young man some self esteem and stressing book smarts, and being friendly- he's going to basically teach him to take no **** from anyone. Why, this sweet baby will grow up and be a tyrant!

I can't worry about this. I can't. I just stay involved and my eyes open. That's all I can do.

I don't miss my son.

BusynMember

Hon, do not be so pessimistic about grandson. Many kids grow up with not-so-great parents and do well and decide not to be like their parents were, if your son indeed does not change. Did you raise your son to be the way he is? Our kids do not become carbon copies of us. And your grandson will not be a carbon copy of your son.
And you're right about not worrying about it. Grandson becoming an adult is so far into the future. Who knows what the future will hold?
Try to relax, if you can, and be good to yourself. You deserve it and you can't control your son or the future. Hugs and more hugs.

New Leaf

Who knows Penny, as the days turn to weeks, months and years, it could be the other way around, that your sons love for his child may end up teaching him a thing or two about being a responsible person and father.
The story is yet to be written.......and miracles happen every day.
(((HUGS)))
leafy