Seeing the world through adult eyes ~ Update

Kathy813

Staff member
I mentioned on Hearthope's thread that my daughter was starting to see the world through adult eyes.

Here is a case in point. . . tomorrow is difficult child's 22nd birthday. She called husband to talk to him about her car registration.

She actually remembered that she needed to get it done tomorrow and husband reminded her that she would need to get the car inspected first. She said, "Geez, how much will that cost? Having a birthday when you are adult isn't nearly as much fun as it was when I was a kid."

By George, I think she is getting it. Of course, she then asked if we would pay for her cell phone bill as a "birthday present" so she could use the money that she has saved for that to pay for the inspection and registration. This is after I had already given her money for a haircut for her "birthday."

She's not independent yet but at least she is starting to see the big picture. I guess (and pray) that the day will come when she does this all on her own.

~Kathy

DammitJanet

LOL...Jamie came to the realization that being an adult wasnt much fun the first time he came home for leave. All his friends were still "kids" and he had to go back to base after a 96 hour pass.

Of course, now he is ages ahead of his peers. They are still kids and he is such an adult...lol. I do have to admit though that for a birthday present I would pay a bill for him if he asked...but he hasnt yet. My dad still sends me money for birthdays and holidays...lol. Gotta love parents!

Kathy813

Staff member
husband did point out to difficult child that one day she will have to do this on her own without involving us at all.

She replied, "But I'm making progress."

husband's answer was, "Yes, you are, but you need to speed it up a little. Mom and I aren't getting any younger."

:rofl:

Then again, if I was like that 60-year-old lady on the other thread, she wouldn't even be born yet. YIKES!

~Kathy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kathy813</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

She replied, "But I'm making progress."

</div></div>

:rofl:

Now, that's cute!

Barbara

Sunlight

it is funny, they fight for freedom but when they get it they whine about the cost...lol hey we told them to stop trying to grow up so fast, didnt we?

Kathy813

Staff member
Well, I should have known (it seems like I start a lot of my posts like that).

difficult child did not get her car inspected or registered today. Why you may ask? She "had" to let her roommate borrow her car today and the roommate didn't get back from work until after the tag office closed.

Hmmmm, let's see. Where do I start? What could a responsible adult have done in this situation?

1) Not wait until the last day to get this done.

2) Refuse to let the roommate borrow the car.

3) Offer to get out of bed early and take roommate to work and then pick her up when she was done so that difficult child could use her car to get the inspection and registration done.

But, no, not my difficult child. She is just going to pay the late fee. husband pointed out that if she gets stopped in the meantime (which happened to her a couple of years ago in this same situation) she will get a fine on top of the late fee.

Why or why can't they ever learn from past mistakes???? I know that everyone makes mistakes but intelligent people learn from them. Or should I say non difficult children learn from them. :hammer:

We did have a nice birthday dinner at the Melting Pot.

~Kathy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, I ummmmm can't get my own tags til thursday. On friday I'll be illegal. :blush: Mine's a money problem. I think this is the only time I've been late. But here you have the whole month to do it. It doesn't have to be done precisely on your birthday.

Sound like it is beginning to sink in a bit. :grin: I love it that husband told her to hurry up you guys weren't getting any younger. :rofl:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kathy813</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why or why can't they ever learn from past mistakes???? I know that everyone makes mistakes but ntelligent people learn from them. Or should I say non difficult children learn from them. :hammer:</div></div>Our old preacher used to talk about the wood stove in the corner (I said he was old). He said, "You can tell some children that the stove is very hot and will burn them if they touch it, and they willl never go near the stove. Some children have to get near the stove and feel the heat before they believe. Other children have to see someone else get burned before they learn. Yet other children have to touch the stove and burn themselves. And some children will never learn not to touch the stove." With our difficult child I still don't know which of those last two she is going to be.