Sensory issues

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Nikki88, Feb 29, 2012.

  1. Nikki88

    Nikki88 New Member

    Can anyone give me some good places to research this? We are thinking that difficult child may possibly have some very, very mild issues and I am not sure where to start looking!!
    Thanks :)
  2. buddy

    buddy New Member THe out of sync child is a very good book and there is a companion book that helps you do activities on your own. Sensory integration therapy really needs to be on going and done right to work for some issues. So for some things, it involves helping the brain to re-wire or develop compensation for the issues.... for example people may read about the brushing/joint compression protocol and then think they can do it but it can over stimulate the nervous system, it really has to be monitored by an Occupational Therapist (OT) who specializes in sensory integration. Some things are a matter of teaching and helping a person with Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) to cope. So it is good to read about what you can do to help on your own and what you might need help for.

    Here is a list of sensory processing books...
  3. tiredmommy

    tiredmommy Site Moderator

    Are you in a decent school district? If so, I would speak to the school Occupational Therapist (OT) and ask for a recommendation on who to see for a private Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation. They usually know who's who in your community. Another option is to contact an autism network and ask for names. Or, of course, contact your family doctor/pediatrician about a referral.
  4. Nikki88

    Nikki88 New Member

    Were is a super good school , they are really doing everything that they can do and going out of the way to work with her.
    Her Dr had to order the assessments, because they were out of them, so I am hoping that we will be starting that any day now. I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible so that I know what I am looking for.
  5. HaoZi

    HaoZi Guest