So I have to ask "what is a real woman"

Fran

Former desparate mom
To build on mustang's thread about the measure of a man I thought it only fair to address what is the measure of a real woman.
Knowing we aren't perfect and usually not that easy to live with goes without saying. :bag:

Any thoughts?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
my vote is pretty much the same list as the man.

Except much less whiney when we're sick. j/k

crazymama30

A real woman takes care of those she loves, but does not allow them to walk all over her, she respects herself and others.

A real woman is not vindictive or manipulative, but is honest and upfront.

A real woman does not judge, does not gossip or spread ill will about others.

A real woman is proud and humble at the same time.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
A real woman can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never never let him forget he's a man.......

:rofl: :rofl:

Sorry. I couldn't resist. That's what popped into my head.

*clears throat*

My idea of a "real" woman may be a bit old fashioned. Ok, a LOT old fashioned.

A real woman rarely has need to raise her voice to get her point across. She is capable of killing you with kindness, stopping you dead in your tracks with a gaze, be treated with respect because she refuses to be treated any other way.

A real woman has a spine made of steel. She will protect her family even if the odds are stacked against her.

A real woman never has the need to fight over a man.

BusynMember

A real woman is a human being. We try our best to be warm and loving, because we are taught that this is our role. Often we succeed. Sometimes we don't, but that's ok. We can say we're sorry when we are. We can be homemakers, secretaries or car mechanics...the definitions of "woman" are changing :D. A real woman is an attitude more than our job or how we dress. I admire women who can hold their heads up with grace even in the face of hard times. Easier said than done, huh?:tongue:

Fran

Former desparate mom
I see women as the source of life. She is smart enough to survive and to make sure her offspring survive. It is an instinct that is fierce and automatic. She will push the little one out of the nest when it is not doing what it needs to survive. She will be a warrior mom when her family is threatened.

I like to think of the nurturer with a spine of steel and realizing the priorities. Kindness in a velvet glove but can remove the glove when necessary.

A real woman isn't looking for a meal ticket but a partner. Contributes equally to the family survival, understands that mates have different stressors and respects those as he would respect hers. Tries to create balance and stability in her home. Isn't afraid to try something new and to admit when she has made a mistake.

Self respect, sense of humor and sense of survival and looks good in cowboy boots. :cutie_pie:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
A real woman is the center of the household - holds the family together in the harshest of times.

A real woman nurtures and at the same time holds those she nurtures to their responsibilities as part of the family.

A real woman doesn't need to use her hands nor a loud voice to get her point across - it's a look, THAT look that people respect.

A real woman doesn't rescue her children - she holds the children in her life accountable with reasonable consequences for unreasonable actions.

A real woman remembers that the vows she made on her wedding day are a promise - through sickness & in health, richer or poorer.

A real woman doesn't whine - she searches for answers; talks with people who will let her just cry when she needs to cry, laugh when she needs to laugh & everything in between.

A real woman walks & talks with grace & dignity. Always holds her head high, not with pride but with a sense of esteem that no person can take from her.

Star*

call 911........call 911
A real woman.......

Is loyal,honorable, truthful, smart, compassionate, strong, determined,fierce, fearless, funny, resourceful, curious, courageous, bold, educating, loving, forgiving, understanding, insightful, adaptable, tolerant, able, tough, soft and she is all these things while her hormones are constantly changing, her family and world are constantly growing. She does what it takes to keep the house going. She buries her children and holds her head up to be an example for others who also grieve. She is underappreciated, often overlooked, more than once underpaid even thought she worked harder and was smarter at her work, she can do practically anything with nothing and make it into something spectacular, but will stand back and think she didn't do well enough, all the while cheering her friends on, encouraging her children to do better than she did, supporting her significant other, fighting for the rights of the underprivledged and never letting on that she's so tired, so hurt, in pain, in need, loves her family with all her heart, taping her shoes together with duct tape so that her kid can have a pair of sneakers and be like the other kids in school, or putting on hold her dreams of going to college so that she can buy her family a home and put down roots. She tells her child that she already ate when there is no more food in the house so he won't feel bad about eating the only food they have. She overcomes and moves forward when she wants to just lay down and pity herself just once, because someone has to set the example and take the kids to school. She ignores the stares when her child flips out in a store, she smiles when people point fingers at the fact she has no ring on her finger as a divorced woman working three jobs and not asking for hand outs and she takes jobs that men wouldn't even have so that she can save every nickle in hopes that her family will have a better life. She wipes tears from her eyes when she reads about a friend who has found out she has breast cancer, has a son who was in a horrific accident, lost a pet, found out her Mother has cancer, lost her home, can't find out why she is sick every day, why her little girl shakes so bad, lost her home, has a son in jail, a daughter on the streets, a heartbreak, a disappointment. She's there for her friends no matter what. She loves her country, she salutes the flag, she thanks a vet for protecting her freedom while she's sleeping in her bed and they are laying in some God-forsaken foreign country and she weeps when they come home in a flag draped coffin because she knows it was for her sake. She sobs at APSCA commercials because people are cruel to animals. She loves God, she believes in Jesus. She prays for her x to find God and stay away from her after years of torture and abuse, and she wrote this.

I dunno - maybe after 45 years I qualify. lol

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shoot!

This is a pretty difficult list of qualifications to live up to!

Does that make me less of a "real" woman...?

ScentofCedar

This is an interesting topic. I don't know what I think makes a real woman. Strength. A timeless lovingkindness. A generous heart. Humor and curiosity. I think real women hold the vision of their families as complete, for their families, whatever else is going on, so that the lost ones can come home. A real woman loves herself first, perhaps. We can't teach things we know nothing about, so a real woman would have to love and respect herself, first. A real woman loves food, I think ~ loves the sensuousness of it, the colors and flavors and seasonal changes of it.

I agree that a real woman tells it like it is. So, a real woman is honest. You can trust what she tells you.

Barbara

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Daisy, none of us are perfect. These are the ideals we strive toward. As human beings we are bound to be better at some of them than others. :)

Fran

Former desparate mom
Daisyface, we are all a work in progress. I don't believe any of us have all those attributes listed. Heck some I don't even agree with and wouldn't want. LOL.

This question was just a refective exercise to balance our comments on what a real man is. Having a perfect man requires us to be perfect women. I don't have that going for me. I'm horribly flawed but I keep trying just like the man in my life.

I do however admit to having cowboy boots. :rofl: Everything else said is a question mark.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I think everything already said qualifies as well as:

A real woman doesn't NEED a man to make her life complete. A good man will, however, make her life more interesting and fun.

A real woman can take care of herself and her family on her own but isn't afraid to ask for help when she needs it.

A real woman also understands that sometimes love isn't enough and you have to let go.

N

Nomad

GREAT topic Fran! AFter this holiday...yep...some woman can be tricky to work with. Ha!
by the way, its FREEZING here. Weve had temperatures here that we only see once or twice a decade. And guess what, I think I look really coooool in cowboy boots and I bet you do too. I think I might keep them on several times a year...I LIKE them.

Many of my thoughts are similar to what Crazy Mamma said:

A real woman values those she loves, and this includes herself! Therefore, she is not a doormat. She shows empathy and respect for herself, loved ones and others (perhaps in that order!).

Last edited:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ohhhhhhh I like that Busy........VERY MUCH! It may be a FRIDGE or WALL Plaque in my house. THANKS!