So much for the haircut - a vent

slsh

member since 1999
I never get a hair cut. Ok, slight exaggeration, but in the past 10 years, I've had *maybe* 5 professional cuts. Mostly it just grows. Was down to my waist 2 years ago, but ... you know what? Hair that long is a total pain. *Grey* hair that long is a pain and very depressing. Three boxes at a time of "because I'm worth it L'Oreal" is kind of... not worth it. Even though it seems to be falling out, I still have wicked thick hair - can braid it wet and it'll stay wet for days (serious). So I was quietly whacking off inches here and there for the past 2 years. This spring I got bold and got a real hair cut, to above my shoulders, slightly layered. Kind of cute, but didn't grow out great.

I wanted something short and simple. OK, I'm reverting back to my childhood... I wanted a pixie cut. So today I finished volunteering at HS early, wasn't due at work for a couple of hours, and I figured now is the time.

It's probably (quite) a bit shorter than a pixie. The girl put enough "product" in my hair to keep the cast of Grease going for months so I came home and washed it. Heaven, sheer heaven. A drop of shampoo, a once over with the towel, and voila. Maybe slightly spikish looking because it's in the "fly be free stage" after having been weighed down forever, but... it's not awful.

And then the kids started coming home. My usually monosyllabic teen son first asked me what I did to my head (that's a quote) and then informed me that "it's different". He later elaborated: "Most people don't like different." Strike one. I think I like him better monosyllabic.

Diva literally (and I mean literally) got tears in her eyes when she saw me. She told me I look like a grandma (I'd better *NOT* be looking like a grandma, darnit). Tears (hers, not mine) all the way home. Strike 2, obviously. She still can't look at me without getting this weird look on her face, part pity, part horror.

I just called husband and told him that he'd better walk in that door, take one look at me, and sweep me off my feet. I suggested the phrases "makes you look younger" "makes you look thinner" "sexy" "fabulous" and "oh baby baby". I do not think I can take strike 3.

Come to think of it, I think I have the shortest hair in the family now, aside from the half of difficult child's head that is shaved.

They'd better get over it quickly or I'm dying it pink. The girl who cut it (who was sporting an interesting combo of bleached blond, dark brown, and magenta streaks) offered to do some highlighting - suggested a "cool combination of red, blond, and (I forget the third color) in a sunburst pattern)". I may just have to take her up on it. :angrygirl:

witzend

Do the colors! They look really nice! I'm probably 50% grey now, but with the different colors, it looks good!

Fran

Former desparate mom
My hair keeps getting shorter and shorter. Now it's raggedy (not spiked). I love it. It's probably not appealing to others but I feel good.
If you like your hair then enjoy the convenience and spunkiness of it.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My daughter has never taken well to my various hair changes over the years of her relatively short life. But they adapt. After all, it's just hair. It does grow back.

I'm glad YOU like it. That's really all that matters. :D

SRL

I don't make changes often either and my kids always react like that any time I do. They were just full of comments the last time I got glasses.

Poor Diva. ;-) I suppose it's just fine if *she* gets a new style...?

klmno

It sounds like the kids just got used to "Mom" being one way and don't like change. It reminds me of the day I took difficult child to the horse races- he was upset because "his MOM" shouldn't be doing that- of course it was ok for anyone else. LOL!

Do what feels good and right for you. They'll adjust- shoot, look at all you've had to adjust to with them. I hope your husband flattered you and you look in the mirror tomorrow and like what you see. If by chance you don't, remember- it grows back out!

susiestar

Roll With It
Do you make hateful comments when they get their hair cut? It may be time to tell them a few home truths. One being you NEVER tell someone their new haircut is horrible. You don't cry and whine because they changed. PERIOD.

This is just so totally rude of them. Sounds like they need to be told that YOU are a person, not just their mom/slave/keeper. That YOU have a right to do what YOU want, and they have a right to be polite or be silent or be in major trouble.

Sometimes we let this stuff pass because we have bigger battles. It is sad, to me, because then the kids don't learn to see us as people (hard enough). They also don't learn that some things just are NOT done. To anyone. So if they do this to a boyfriend, girlfriend, bff, husband, so, alien, or some other letter combination they could end up in a world of hurt.

Manners are important. Not just because they make things "look" nice to outsiders, but because they keep you from hurting people's feelings.

Maybe mom needs to drop her manners until the kids pick theirs up off the floor, dust them off and use them.

It really IS ok to stand up to your kids when they are just plain rude. Esp by the time they hit their tweens. If Mom won't tell them off, the real world will get really ugly with them.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sue, have fun with it. The week after I arrived home from the Cleveland trip (I saw pics of how old I looked) I went out & had my hair chopped to a Jamie Lee Curtis length.

I love it - much easier (5 minutes to dry); throw out the product, with your thick hair I doubt you need it. I don't.

Didn't we try this a few years back when we met wiped out? I went seriously short - you went seriously blond but stayed long??

Abbey

Spork Queen
I just got mine cut 2 days ago. It had been a year. She only took 2 inches off, but boy did that feel good. I have the opposite problem. I have tons of THIN hair. You couldn't put enough product in it so I basically gave up on that. I pull it back in a twist/pony tail each day for work so it's kind of a mute point. I find that if I cut it short, I look a lot older. Long hair is my last ditch attempt at looking young. ;)

Abbey

tiredmommy

Sue, I understand. I had my hair cut short last year. Duckie got off the bus to exclaim "What did you do to your hair? You look like a man!"

Shut 'em down. :devil:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Baby -

IF YOU WERE BALD YOU'D BE THE SEXIEST THING IN YOUR TOWN!!!!!

Whatever you decide to do - color, non color = streak, blonde, spike, wild, crazy....stripe, mohawk......you have my blessing to just NIKE up your hair and DO IT.

THEN SEND US PICTURES......;)

THERES ONLY ONE YOU AND WE LOVE YOU NO MATTER WHAT -

AND I THINK YOU SHOULD GET SOME BIKER BOOTS, some short denim shorts and a boostier - (and a tattoo) put the kids on a busride somewhere and ......then do that phone call ALL over again to husband.....:surprise:

:tongue:

Yeah - baaaaaaabay - :peaceful:

KTMom91

Definitely do the color. I need my color done again, I love the red, and I can't decide between Sharon Osbourne's burgundy purple or Anna's (on DWTS) beautiful red. Miss KT wants aqua streaks.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Sue, what did husband say?

How are you feeling today?

I'll bet you look adorable.........and ooh baby, baby!

Suz

slsh

member since 1999
Thanks all. Diva is still ... being Diva-ish, LOL. Oh well.

husband "said" all the right things... but today he walked into our bedroom/my office twice while I was working and said, twice, "It's so weird to walk in here and see you working with no hair". Like.... what hair and work have to do with each other is beyond me but... that's okay. Maybe tomorrow I should try working with no (insert obvious choice). ;) Bet he wouldn't be complaining then. :rofl: Bet the kids would run screaming from the house. Hahahahahaha.

It's just hair and it'll grow back all too quickly. I like the cut because it's not in my eyes, on my neck, in my way. I even kinda like how the gray is so much more noticeable - almost like ready-made highlights. Sigh... whatever. Guess I should've stuck with- my Cousin It look. ;)

susiestar

Roll With It
Nope. No Cousin It for you. I have that market cornered. Right down to the glasses. It has been mine for a few years now.

You stick with the Tinkerbell look (from the movie Hook). I am totally sure it looks amazing! Ignore your menfolk and listen to us. We are your sisters and are right. They are men.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Sue, scroll down the page to see the video.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/reliable-source/2009/09/rs-wheeler22.html

Your hair is LONG comparatively. :)

Actually, I think ex-Miss VA looks better shaved than with her long hair- it accentuates her pretty face much better.

My exboss has the cutest short haircut. So does Fran. Fran's hair seemed to take to her short cut right away without needing anything else. Exboss uses a bit of product to spike it up and give it an edge. Both are very attractive versions of similar cuts.

Have some fun with it and to heck with what the others say.

Suz