Something really cool happened today...

tiredmommy

So I went to pick up fish dinners at the church around 5pm; it was very busy with traffic and tons of parked cars. I pulled around the corner to park. There are two black labs running loose and darting in an out of traffic. They were obviously friendly but nearly knocked over an elderly woman that they jumped up on (bad puppy manners!).

Now the cool part:

There were a couple of boys, maybe in 6th or 7th grade. These weren't their dogs but they were determined to keep the dogs as safe as they could. The older kid asked me to help because they were in over their heads. So the older kid checked the tags on the one dog... we called the vet and gave the rabies license #, the receptionist tried calling the number listed at the office but it was disconnected. She left a message at the other number they had.

We didn't know what to do. So I stood in the middle of the street making traffic slow down. The receptionist had said she would come and hold the dogs overnight when the office closed at 6pm. It was cold and one of the boys were under dressed for the weather. So we lucked out when a gaggle of four girls came along... one knew the dogs. They were her neighbor's. She ran home and got leashes to bring the pups where they belonged.

I was really impressed with these kids. The future is bright indeed.

klmno

That's a nice story! I'd be tempted to call the press just so something nice about kids can get on the news. I think it's great what the boys did- including that they asked you for help. For one, it showed their awareness that they needed help and that they would ask for it. Of course the girls did a nice thing too- not to mention you! If you'd been the type of person that didn't care about helping the dogs or didn't have time to deal with the kids, it really could have a lasting effect on how they handle things in the future.

I say kuddos to all of you!!

busywend

Wow! Nice to witness and become a part of the kids trying to do the right thing. It does seem rare these days.

I can tell it warmed your heart and it did mine, too!