Sometimes I hate it when they DO listen

T

TeDo

I posted about my nephew and our messed up family dynamics with my mom and sisters. Well, I told difficult child 1 and difficult child 2 about nephew not being with us for Christmas this year (he's spending it with his mom). They wanted to know why so I explained the situation to them and that grandma & aunt are withholding gifts. They made various comments and the only comment I made is "that's not what Christmas is about" in reference to withholding gifts.

Tonight, difficult child 1 was arguing with me at bedtime (after a couple of "difficult" but not unbearable days) so I half-heartedly said "You know I don't HAVE to give you your gifts tomorrow night". His response was "Now you sound like grandma and what did you say about her? Hmmmm?" I couldn't think of a thing to say.

It was a touche' moment but I wasn't about to admit that to him.:devil:

InsaneCdn

It was a touche' moment but I wasn't about to admit that to him.
You have to know your own kid, and respond accordingly.
But... with my difficult child? We started making more progress when I took these as learning opportunities, and DID admit to being wrong.

T

TeDo

I do most of the time but considering I was trying to get him back into his bed it would have just opened another can of worms that would have been counterproductive at that particular moment. Believe me, I usually do because I want him to learn that it is okay to be wrong (which he NEVER admits when he is).

buddy

HA! Gottcha! Yes, we do need to give them more credit sometimes, lol. Sounds like he wasn't really too upset, probably being just as sarcastic as you were???? They know you too well.