Sometimes I just need someone to tell me "Put Tab 'A' Into Slot 'B'..."

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Took difficult child 1 to his first therapist appointment in several years to discuss his floundering school performance due to the IBS issues.

I am actually a fairly intelligent person, but I swear I just needed this man to tell me to do this first, then this, then this. :hammer:

Yes, ladies and gents, we now have a concrete plan of attack. Between now and our next visit on the 11th, I am to round up all the various and sundry reports I've collected on difficult child 1 over the years. I am to solicit a letter from the psychiatrist and GI testifying to the impact IBS is having on difficult child 1 and his life/school/etc. Then I am to send a LET-TER to a) the principal, b) the school psychiatric (whom this therapist knows) and copy the "useless" counselor, restating the problem (that IBS is severely impacting his grades and social skills, despite having a 504 and IHP in place), remind them that he is receiving treatment from all sorts of health care providers, and request that he be placed in a Special Education resource class under the qualification of OHI (otherwise health impaired).

He further recommends that difficult child 1 drop French to fit the resource class into his schedule and consider taking American Sign Language instead because it counts as a foreign language for college admissions (at least in our state) and it's much easier to learn. He's also recommending difficult child 1 drop biology and take it again for summer school so it doesn't bring down his GPA like it's going to right now, which would jeopardize his chances to play lacrosse, which he loves and would be devastated to lose.

At our next meeting he's also going to assess the extent of difficult child 1's anxiety/depression (finally, someone sees this like I do!).

So as I'm kicking myself for not getting him in for this guy's help sooner, I am giggling with excitement inside because of the new hope I have with this new direction we will try to take. And the meltdown I had in my car last night by myself probably helped, too. :tongue:

Marguerite

If you're needing this level of help yourself, it sounds like the stress has piled up to dangerous levels in you, too. This new therapist sounds like a keeper. That's a darn good plan.

Marg

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You're right Marg. I've reached the tipping point, for certain! Probably explains in part (no pun intended) why my hair has been falling out steadily for the past 6 months!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sounds like a great plan and a great therapist! The meltdown in the car is sometimes very necessary. Hugs.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
MWM, if I have to, I'll pay this therapist to come to any meetings that get set up as a result of this. He knows our district very well and has worked with various people in it for years. In fact, he is a pyschology professor at a local university and several of our local school psychologists have been his STUDENTS!

BusynMember

Advocates know the law. Bring both...lol. The way schools try to trip up parents, I'd bring as many people on my side as I could. I'm bringing two advocates with me and I'm letting them do the talking. They know when the school district is trying to fudge the law and talk circles around parents.