starting the process-need advice

jodyp

I'm new here and I'm hoping for some advice. I started the process with the sd, and my 4 yo has been going through evaluations by the CST. Should be concluded next week, and they want to meet with us by the end of the month. I have done a lot of reading on this message board so I was a little prepared. I guess I just want to be prepared for the next meeting. If he qualifys for placement with the Special Education pre-school in town, can I insist on transportation? And when do I start making my demands? Fast background-difficult child is a fun, happy loving child with some issues. Received early intervention for developmental delays from 2-3 years old. Spoke with my pd when difficult child was 3 1/2 about "quirky" issues. Wears only white t-shirts, afraid of sounds and wind, hard time transitioning, food, etc...Got him evaluation by Occupational Therapist (OT), and has been receiving Occupational Therapist (OT) 1x a week(privatley). Occupational Therapist (OT) suggested dev evaluation. Did that(privatley) and dev pediatrician diog AHAD-CT and Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and fine motor problems. All referred to sd, and that is where we are now. difficult child has attended daycare/preschool since he was 6 months old. The sp.ed pre-school is only 2 1/2 hours a day. What am I supposed to do with-him? Bounce him around with different people picking him up and dropping him off. Not very structured for him. Ideally, transportation to and from daycare would be the best. The sd says that they only provide transportation if you live 2 miles from the school. My whole town is 1 mile. Nice. Any suggestions when and how I should start this battle?
Sorry its long winded, but I think the background history is important

Sheila

If your son qualifies for placement, the IEP should be written during that meeting. If he doesn't and you feel he should, you can request an IEE if you do not agree with the school district's evaluation FOR ANY REASON. The school district IEP committee members may ask why a parent doesn't agree, however, the parent does not have to give a specific reason(s).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The sd says that they only provide transportation if you live 2 miles from the school. </div></div>

That's a general policy.

Transportation is a related service under IDEA. If he needs transportation, general transportation policy doesn't matter. Whether the student lives 4 blocks or 4 miles from school, it's the school district's responsibility to provide transportation. (And just FYI, it doesn't necessarily have to be via a school bus.)

Parent self-education is imperative for those with special needs. Way To Go, mom!

And welcome aboard! :smile: