Struggling...

Scent of Cedar *

She is technically our step grandchild, as our son met her mom while she was pregnant.

It might help both you and the granddaughter ksm, if you can learn more about the genetics on bio-father's side. Even if the heritage predicts trouble, both you and your grandchild may be able to steer a safer course if granddaughter knows she has a genetic proclivity to depression or addiction or emotional illness.

There is a thread in Watercooler ksm on anti-inflammatory diet. There is another thread there about a book: Infectious Madness. The book is a kind of review of research on whether things like depression, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), schizophrenia even, could be caused by imbalances in gut microflora related to antibiotic use, especially in children. No firm conclusions were reached, but when someone we love is suffering, it is best to think about these kinds of things, too. Following a strict diet may help your grand, and may give her a sense of hope and control.

Our daughter is diagnosed with "a serious and pervasive mental illness". I hate that this is happening to her, and to all of us. We don't know what to do, and neither does daughter. It is heartbreaking, for us.

I am very sorry this is happening to you both.

I am happy for you that younger grand is doing well. That she is doing well may speak to the genetic aspects of older grands problems.

Ex daughter in law made our sons life, and ours miserable for a long time. Now, she has been out of their lives for five years as she moved across the country. But, she keeps things stirred up by contacting them thru FB and phone calls, bypassing us and trying to draw them back in with empty promises.

How are you handling this with the grands, ksm?

The father of one of my grands is like that. He has no problem lying to children. He has no problem contacting them when he needs to see himself as someone's father. There is a sense of decency in being someone's mother or someone's father. Irresponsible parents seem always ready to manipulate both their own children and their caretakers to make themselves look like the injured party, grieving for their abandoned children.

They use this against the children, and we are powerless, because the children wish for the love of the parent wholeheartedly. It is very bitter, when the children are repeatedly hurt and betrayed.

I try to have compassion, but it is difficult.

We did not take our grands. In some ways it was the right thing, not to take them...but in so many ways, I wish we had.

You were very brave to take them and raise them and love them, ksm.

Now, oldest granddaughter seems to be suffering from bipolar tendencies like her biomom. Also may have histrionic personality didorder. Probably has fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Plus she looks and sounds just like biomom. It is hard not to compare, to have flashbacks of biomom, when Difficult Child talks to he in the same manner.

How are you and granddaughter working through this, ksm?

You have raised the little girl since she was seven, is that right? It would be very, very hard for me to see the child's feckless, irresponsible mother in the grand's features and mannerisms.

So hard.

There are times when the only thing we do know is that we did the right thing, for the right reasons. It is hard to accept without bitterness, when our people we love are so troubled.

Thank God you were there for her. Wherever she goes from here, the love you put into her, the things that you taught her, are in there. It is hard to hold faith, but there is nothing else to do.

Is the grand planning for college?

I am probably suffering from PTSD just from dealing with the two of them for such a long time. I don't want to view daughter thru the same lens as her mom. But she is her moms mini me... And I think bio mom has convinced her to view me from her perspective.

There is something called "complex PTSD". This is the kind of PTSD that happens when we are repeatedly traumatized over time. Soon, anything remotely connected to one traumatic event keys all the other traumatic event responses. That gets to be chronic, that mindset. Here on FOO Chronicles, we believe (well, I do, anyway) that current day traumas having to do with helplessness where our troubled or G F G children are concerned key into traumatic events from our own childhoods.

We are hit with a double whammy.

I get it now why you posted here on FOO Chronicles, ksm.

My apologies.

They both seem to have delusions of how successful they will be in life. They both tell me grandiose plans of owning a farm with horses, pets, etc. One is 17, the other is almost 50.

Would it be of value do you think, to respond to granddaughter as though you were taking her seriously? I mean, to begin say, looking up farms for sale on Zillow and calculating mortgage payments and discussing how to actually buy a farm? Or, discussing maybe becoming a veterinarian, if her interest is animals?

Or have you already done that.

What I'm saying is that if I could focus on my purpose, which would be to steer the child in the direction best for her, that would help me know how to guide myself in this situation, which seems really rotten, ksm. So, the mother is allying with the grand against you. This is all so unfair. Is the grand planning for her future, for the day she will move into her own apartment or home?

And I think bio mom has convinced her to view me from her perspective. So there is always conflict...

This must be very hard.

That is what parents like the biomom seem to do. They don't want to be responsible to their children, but they want to appear to be loving parents to the very children they've abandoned. They do this, not for the sake of the child, but to glorify themselves. In this sense, they are using their own children, and doing it to the detriment of the child. You already know how that works, I am sure. It helps though sometimes, to know you are not the only one, and that the situation that exists is not something personal to you. The mother would be setting up this same dynamic with anyone kind enough to have taken her children in.

Very difficult, for you.

If you would find it helpful, would you like to post about how you keep yourself centered around this stuff? I would feel hurt and resentful. I think I would not be able to stay centered. If it were me, I would internalize the anger and internalizing all of it would leave me depressed.

It would help me to figure out what was happening to each of the people I loved. Then, maybe, I could know how to find that center space where I would be able to understand that what they do is just what they do.

That would help me let go of the anger. I would be able to tell myself I had made the right choice for my grands and myself, and that this was just another, not unexpected, difficulty implicit to the situation with the mother.

How kind of you to have taken both children, ksm.

We would be very willing to explore these feelings with you. The site is anonymous, and that is helpful for us.

I know in a few months daughter will like likely move out, but I had wanted so much more for daughter. And I hate it that things aren't better... Any one else in a similar situation? How do you cope? KSM

Have you told granddaughter these things? That you had hoped for more for her in her life? If she does move out, there may not be another time to teach her in the way you may be able to teach her, now. Even if she doesn't seem to be listening, she does hear you.

Would you like to explore how you might present your hope for and belief in her in a way that your grandchild can hear?

You will receive excellent feedback here, and on P.E. too.

Coping.... I think coping has to do with understanding that the best we can do is what we have to do. Maya Angelou writes that when we know better, we do better. Regret is not part of this. Real boats do rock; real life is where our best intentions go awry, and those we love are hurt, or we are. So, it isn't about what the mother or the grandchild do so much as it is being certain you are doing all that you feel is correct. If talking to the child everyday about where she could take her life feels right, then that is what you must do. If turning away feels right, then that is what you must do. There is no right way to do any of this, or none of us would be here on the site trying to figure things out. For me, and for my D H, the guideline we use when we literally don't know what is the right thing is whether we will be able to meet our own eyes in the mirror if the consequences of acting (or not acting) in the child's behalf are hard consequences.

There are very hard consequences any way we go, when people we love are so troubled. It is impossible, over time, not to slip into the ugliness of enabling. There is nothing easy about any of this. I can tell you this much. When I was able to say to my children (or my grands, which tore my heart out), no more money, no you cannot move home, no I will not buy any more cars or pay fines or reinstate licenses or pay tuition, I was also honest with them about why I was saying no. Basically the gist of that one was that they needed to know they could depend on themselves, and not continue to know that if the story were bad enough, someone would rescue them from themselves. I tell my kids and grands all the time, every chance I get, that I love them, and that I know they can do this. That they are bright, attractive people with incredible potential, and that they will take their lives in the direction they choose. That if they find themselves in a place they do not want to be, they can choose to go another direction any time that they want to.

So, that was a very different way of talking than the way I used to talk to them. I used to rail at the world with them. I used to pay and believe and pay, some more. But none of that worked, somehow. So, I had to change. The kids were not changing. They were behaving as I had taught them to behave. They too believed the world was treating them unfairly.

So, I had to change.

They could not change until I did.

That is how I learned to stand up.

It was amazingly hard. I always think my kids are perfect, but just in trouble, again.

For heaven's sake.

And that is all I know to tell you this morning, ksm. Please know that if you ask me something specific, I will try to respond as honestly as I can. We are all parents here, trying so hard to bring our kids and grands safely through it. Detachment theory ~ not the turning away part, but the part about the kids needing to believe, not in me, but in themselves, was very helpful for our family.

Again, I am very glad you posted to us, and apologize again for not hearing you correctly in your first post.

Cedar

ksm

Just got finished seeing Difficult Child and had a "family meeting" with social worker and another staff member, he seemed to know about medications, but the psychiatrist wasn't there. Odd, last night nursing staff informed me of the meeting, and when I arrived, day staff was unaware if meeting, but they got 2 out of 3 there. Difficult Child was still agitated. Got very defensive and interrupted my answers or contradicted me. But when they questioned her, she would have to back track, and say, well, I used to, but I don't do that sony more... (Like things from a week ago)

After the meeting she and I went to her room, she got easily agitated and said if I was going to be that way, I could just leave. She was upset that I brought two pair of white sports low rise socks instead of the bright lower rise colorful socks. I told her it was all I saw in the drawer. Well she put all the socks she likes in a fabric pouch bad hid them so little sis couldn't find.

So I went out to the staff /public area and waited while they finished inspecting the clothes I brought. Difficult Child had wanted her Pink Chiffon hand lotion. I couldn't find it, little sis sent her favorite lotion, and she immediately went eww... Take it home... I can't stand that lotion...

So I left early and headed home... 60 miles, again, to see a very agitated Difficult Child. KSM

Toughlovemom

Hi KSM, welcome and thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. I am sorry for what you are going through.
How much you have sacrificed. How brave and wonderful you are.

You have taken in your grands, this is the ultimate sacrifice KSM, in the winter of our lives, starting all over again.
The question you asked is a deep one, and the answer is, one doesn't. It is impossible.
One simply does the best we can, under difficult circumstances.
There are no promises in this. We try our best to forge the new path.
Ultimately, the paths our children and grands decide to walk, is their own.
Amazing how the influence continues, even from afar. I suppose it is what I have had to realize in doing the opposite, not taking my grands in again, because our circumstances are different.
In that horrible realization that my grands were being raised to witness upfront and personal, the crazy their parents have chosen, came the realization that these grandchildren would always be tied to their parents.
No matter what.
That is life, and reality, that they would yearn to know their parents, no matter what.
Whatever picture they could conjure up in their minds to satisfy that inner most need to connect with their parents, would always be there in their minds.
I have no control over it, and neither do you.
And so, with your granddaughter approaching 18, you are faced with this conundrum all over again.
You made the ultimate sacrifice to raise her.
You did the best you could.
And she will still be what she will be.
It is a double blow KSM.

You are remembering KSM. In this second time around, you will do better I pray, to take care of yourself, to not be hard on yourself, to draw the boundaries sooner, and not lose yourself in the drawing of them.

So much conflict, so difficult and unfair.
My new mantra is
The past a lesson, the present a gift, the future unknown.
Who knows where all of this will lead to?

The one predictable, controllable factor you have on your side is the knowledge that the only thing you can control is your reaction and response.

Our hopes and dreams and wants and needs for our children and grands are not dashed upon the shore in the waves of their choices.

We can continue to hope and dream, but realize that it may not happen in the timeframe we had imagined.

I cope, by giving them all to G-d. I cope by turning my awfulizing around to wonderfulizing.

By giving them back to G-d I have entrusted them to a most powerful being.

Then I can work on myself, and take steps to work on my endless possibilities.

By doing this, I am showing myself, and my children and grandchildren that every second of every day, we have the ability to change, to make things brighter and better.

In this, they may, or may not, take those steps themselves.

We have no control over their lives and choices.

But we do have control over our response and reactions to them.

I cope by realizing that our lives are fraught with struggle,
but we are meant to continually work towards inner peace.

We are meant to know our self worth and value, and through the knowing of it
we emanate a grace and power beyond imagination.

We show our loved ones by loving ourselves
the importance
of loving themselves.

Good day to you KSM.
Do something incredible for yourself.

Leafy
Wow that was exactly what I needed to read today. Exactly what I have prayed about today. Thank you so much....

New Leaf

Thank you, it is just what I needed to read again to quiet myself.
I may not have if it weren't for your post.
G-d works in mysterious ways does he not?
Thank you TLM!
(((HUGS)))

ksm

It might help both you and the granddaughter ksm, if you can learn more about the genetics on bio-father's side. Even if the heritage predicts trouble, both you and your grandchild may be able to steer a safer course if granddaughter knows she has a genetic proclivity to depression or addiction or emotional illness.)]

Biomom has only given us a first name, Brian and a town. Said she lived with him and his parents for about three months. Can't remember last name. But, when she was expecting, my son told me that the child would be bi-racial, fathered by a guy who was now in prison for murder. Well! that wasn't true! I think she just made up stories for sympathy. When Difficult Child older brother was birn, she named three men who was possibilities. Luckily, that child won the daddy lottery! After foster care, he went to live with bio dad (DNA testing) and his new wife adopted him at age 8 and has been wonderful to him.

QUOTE. They use this against the children, and we are powerless, because the children wish for the love of the parent wholeheartedly. It is very bitter, when the children are repeatedly hurt and betrayed.

Biomom acts like the girls are her bragging rights. She was never a real mom to any of her 4 children. She just wanted to show her girls off to her friends. Once she even brought two grown men over to our house when she had been invited to see them. She wanted to take them upstairs to the girls room to hang out! I know they drove her, but these were random men! Even if her friends would drop her off, she would have them wait so she could parade "her babies" In front of them. Makes my stomach turn.

QUOTE. You were very brave to take them and raise them and love them, ksm.

I used to think I was super grandma... We did all the activities in our community, got involved in children's theater, took music and voice lessons, we travelled and did volunteer things with them, spent two summers in San Antonio helping an organization where youth groups volunteered in the inner city, then a summer in Hollywood with the same organization, and the next summer 6 weeks on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation helping with a church camp. Now she doesn't want to be I the same house as us. She despises our religion, which is a fairly liberal Protestant church. Nothing way out there as churches sometimes are... And only Sunday morning service, not multiple services a week.

Quote: You have raised the little girl since she was seven, is that right? It would be very, very hard for me to see the child's feckless, irresponsible mother in the grand's features and mannerisms.

Not only does she act like her, she has the same mannerisms, voice, laugh, and a warped sense of need for attention. The last straw was when she came home and dyed her pretty blond hair red... Just like biomom.

QUOTE: Is the grand planning for college?

In her mind, yes, but they have been offering ACT and SAT testing the last three years at high school, and she has never followed thru and took the test. She has barely passed most her required courses. Her grade point average is probably a D+ or C-

QUOTE: Would it be of value do you think, to respond to granddaughter as though you were taking her seriously? I mean, to begin say, looking up farms for sale on Zillow and calculating mortgage payments and discussing how to actually buy a farm? Or, discussing maybe becoming a veterinarian, if her interest is animals?

I guess I am too much of a realist. It seems like playing games or getting sucked in to their delusions. I doubt that she can keep a job. She gets I. To too much drama at both her previous jobs.

QUOTE: So, the mother is allying with the grand against you. This is all so unfair. Is the grand planning for her future, for the day she will move into her own apartment or home?

So far she has only mentioned moving in with friends... Which I think will lead to a life time of couch surfing, She is not good with money. Even now, I put a months worth of money on her school lunch account, but they offer things like cappuccinos and cookies and chips that are not part of the lunch. So usually after the first week or two, she has completely used up her lunch money for the month. She is a senior and this has been happening almost all the way thru school. I refuse to add more until the next month. So I know she goes hungry, and she doesn't remember to take food from home.

QUOTE If you would find it helpful, would you like to post about how you keep yourself centered around this stuff? I would feel hurt and resentful. I think I would not be able to stay centered. If it were me, I would internalize the anger and internalizing all of it would leave me depressed.

It used to help to lean on my faith, but even that isn't helping much at this time. husband and I seem to be drifting apart, like there isn't enough energy left for each other. It is hard to feel loving towards him at the end of a terrible, anger filled day with Difficult Child. Our younger DGD is also suffering. No one wants to be around Difficult Child, she seems to suck the joy out of any situation. The past two years we have cut short our family spring break trip because who wants to spend money just to get yelled at at a different location??

QUOTE. Have you told granddaughter these things? That you had hoped for more for her in her life? If she does move out, there may not be another time to teach her in the way you may be able to teach her, now. Even if she doesn't seem to be listening, she does hear you.

I tried the other day to explain that I had hopes that they would find something they enjoyed and put effort in to. She replied that I just wanted her to be in the popular crowd. I explained that wasn't it at all. Then she said I wanted her to be a goody two shoes. Nope. I tried to explain that I wish she and her sister would find one thing that they were passionate about and pursue it, maybe school, or a sport, or an activity like music, or singing, or a hobby. Something. She didn't really grasp it. She just wants to hang out with friends who gave dropped out, don't have a job, pregnant, etc.

Quote. Would you like to explore how you might present your hope for and belief in her in a way that your grandchild can hear?

Well, it won't be by talking... If I say something she takes the opposite side! Sometimes if I change and agree with her, then she will flip and support my original statement!

QUOTE If talking to the child everyday about where she could take her life feels right, then that is what you must do. If turning away feels right, then that is what you must do. There is no right way to do any of this, or none of us would be here on the site trying to figure things out.

Right now, I am detaching. Maybe it is wrong, but she doesn't want me involved in her life. Maybe if the medications make her calmer we can interact more. Think she will have a rude awakening if she moves in with friends. She is a slob and does not help around the house.

Quote. So, I had to change.
They could not change until I did.
That is how I learned to stand up.
It was amazingly hard. I always think my kids are perfect, but just in trouble, again.
For heaven's sake.

I am really going to try and get my life back. I feel like I have sacrificed myself for them. It is hard to explain... I felt like I had to keep juggling every ones needs and emotions so that no one else would get upset at each other, like some referee who tried to keep the game going but with no one fouling out or getting hurt, and everyone felt like a winner. So everyone got the same playing time. But I can't orchestrate that. KSM.

Again, I am very glad you posted to us, and apologize again for not hearing you correctly in your first post.

Cedar

ksm

Oops, somehow my attempt at using the quote feature didn't turn out how I expected. My answers to Scent of Cedars post are above, but you have to do the click to expand. I did use a bold font on my replies... KSM

ksm

She was dismissed last night. We picked her up and they gave us an Rx for Depakote to take at night. They couldn't give us one pill, and being from out of town, I need to get it filled today.

So far so good. We have appts with the psychologist today after school. That makes 5 trips in 5 days to the town 60 miles away. I had left her a message last week that her agitation levels were increasing. She called back and said she would check on "personality disorder testing" but it isn't covered by insurance, and it done by the state university medical school. Anybody heard of it? Next month we are having a fetal alcohol screening done. Depending how expensive, it may have to wait... I guess we could wait and see how that screening goes.

KSM

She was dismissed last night. We picked her up and they gave us an Rx for Depakote to take at night. They couldn't give us one pill, and being from out of town, I need to get it filled today.

So far so good. We have appts with the psychologist today after school. That makes 5 trips in 5 days to the town 60 miles away. I had left her a message last week that her agitation levels were increasing. She called back and said she would check on "personality disorder testing" but it isn't covered by insurance, and it done by the state university medical school. Anybody heard of it? Next month we are having a fetal alcohol screening done. Depending how expensive, it may have to wait... I guess we could wait and see how that screening goes.

KSM
My son had testing for personality disorder, but I can't tell you a whole lot about it. He was diagnosed as having conduct disorder. The testing was done while he was in the hospital for 9 days having a mental evaluation. Before the testing for personality disorder, he had been diagnosed with ADHD, and later diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Personality disorder testing was done after all the treatments for ADHD and bipolar had no affect on him.

InsaneCdn

Next month we are having a fetal alcohol screening done. Depending how expensive, it may have to wait... I guess we could wait and see how that screening goes.
If she does have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE)? Then that would pretty much override any other diagnosis. So, if you have to pay for personality disorder testing, I'd be tempted to wait until after the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE) screening.

ksm

On her discharge paper work they used conduct disorder and alcohol abuse. There was one instance of getting drunk, about 6 weeks ago, so that is probably why.

InsaneCdn - I was thinking the same thing, wait for the FA screening... Maybe it isn't bipolar, or HPD, or any other set of initials and diagnosis codes. Maybe her brain just isn't wired to cope with everything a teen has thrown at them... Successful teens struggle too. But the struggle started in grade school and has just gotten worse.

So far, she has been on good behavior... And for that I am thankful.

KSM

InsaneCdn

I don't think Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE) responds to any medications. And personality disorders don't either (although some side effects can be medicated). So, if she is responding well to medication changes... it's just so TOUGH with these complex kids!!

New Leaf

Hang in there ksm. You are so strong, so tough, in plodding on through all of this.
I am emboldened by your example.
Thank you for being who you are, for your patience, love and kindness.
It is a true testimony for all of us, of handling a tough situation with fortitude, grace and dignity.
Thank you for sharing your journey.
I am sorry I have no answers for you on this end, the medications.
I am glad there are those that do.
Hang in there ksm!
(((HUGS)))
leafy

Scent of Cedar *

It used to help to lean on my faith, but even that isn't helping much at this time. husband and I seem to be drifting apart, like there isn't enough energy left for each other. It is hard to feel loving towards him at the end of a terrible, anger filled day with Difficult Child. Our younger DGD is also suffering. No one wants to be around Difficult Child, she seems to suck the joy out of any situation. The past two years we have cut short our family spring break trip because who wants to spend money just to get yelled at at a different location??

Read more: http://www.conductdisorders.com/community/threads/struggling.61269/page-2#ixzz3qcQQHUc5

Is it possible for you and your husband to drive away for an overnight, or a weekend?

Do you know about NAMI? National Alliance for Mental Illness. There are local chapters throughout the country. You mentioned a Texas city in your post, so I referenced Texas NAMI for you, here. NAMI is parents (and grands) and sibs and those suffering an illness, learning from and supporting one another.

https://www.google.com/search?q=NAMI+Texas&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Right now, I am detaching. Maybe it is wrong, but she doesn't want me involved in her life. Maybe if the medications make her calmer we can interact more. Think she will have a rude awakening if she moves in with friends. She is a slob and does not help around the house.

Read more: http://www.conductdisorders.com/community/threads/struggling.61269/page-2#ixzz3qcRA48lU

Detaching is the right thing, for us and for the kids, too. Helping turns into a dynamic in which the kids learn that if their situations are dire enough, and if they are blameless enough, we will help. In other words, we teach them, not to rely on themselves, but to rely on lying to us. In years past, we called our difficult children Gifts From God. One of the moms here came up with the term "differently wired".

Both those observations are true.

Our difficult children are differently wired. They need to be parented differently. Detachment parenting is not about turning away or letting go so much as it is a crucial part of that way we need to learn to see ourselves and the difficult children we love so we can respond to them differently and stick with it. Because the kids tend not to take responsibility, we need to change the way we think about parental guilt, and especially, about money.

Our differently wired kids need a different kind of parenting.

They will still go off in all the wrong directions, but with the tools we learn through detachment theory parenting, we will have given them a skillset. We will have given them a set of values that will be clear both to ourselves and to them. The lying to justify our helping them will have to be stopped at some point if the kids are ever to pick up. The more we help, the more entitled the kids feel, and the more belligerent they become. In the kind of parenting called detachment parenting, loving them doesn't feel much like loving them, but it is. For these kinds of children, it is. And detachment parenting isn't going to look like we love them to anyone else, either.

We will be judged harshly.

But giving money and time and things seems not only to come to nothing, but to be exactly the wrong thing to do because it teaches the kids to lie to us so we will help.

We have to say: NO MONEY

Welcoming them home seems to result in their flipping off school and finding the worst possible compatriots and in us somehow becoming the enemy even while the kids are living in our own homes. In our own homes, we become afraid. We lock our bedroom doors. We protect our money and our belongings lest our money be gone and our belongings stolen.

Our troubled kids see things and people differently.

Very dangerous people suddenly know where we live and when we are or are not home.

At some point we have to say no. It is better to begin this kind of parenting sooner than later. If there is impulsivity, there may be a susceptibility to addiction. It would be best to help your grand now to prepare herself for what could happen.

Addiction is a terminal disease.

It would be best to warn her of the genetic component in addictive behaviors and teach her now how to be her own best mother as she moves into the world and creates her life.

I don't mean to be harsh, or to sound like I know it all. But I wish I had known the very things I am telling you now when my daughter was younger. I think you have done something amazing in keeping your grand in school.

People told us, as our oldest child, our daughter, began acting out, to pay special attention to our youngest. They were not specific. The youngest child will be coping with abandonment issues. Even if you and the grandfather are there every day (as my D H and I were) the younger child's life will have changed, will have become a lonely place where he or she is not celebrated in the way she was before the older child became unmanageable.

Nearing forty, my son was still enraged ~ especially at me ~ for abandoning him when our daughter became so troubled. Though my D H was there and doubled up on all things having to do with fathering his son ~ brought him on excellent vacations with his uncles, even...my son's life had changed.

His family, all at once, was a sad and broken thing.

His father could not be the mother he needed because he needed us both.

So, I just wanted you to be aware of what happened to our younger child.

One day he was working, running for Student Council president and the next, he wasn't.

I never really saw my son, again. He would come home to dry out and succeed ~ that is how strong the character is in this boy that I raised, and I am proud of him for that. But he would always fall again. One more time, I blamed myself. I tried harder. (D H did, too.)

But the only thing that helped our son was when we stopped helping and he got it that he was on his own. And there was nothing easy or right about it except that the other way, the kind way, was destroying him, and all of us.

I feel badly for us when I remember how awful and how sad and hard and horrifying this has been.

And what was lost, and was never recovered.

The lunch situation is a typical situation for our troubled kids. This can be an excellent lesson for the grand, and there is still time before the end of the year for you to learn detachment theory well enough to use it to teach your grand ~ in a way that will seem cruel to you and to her, but in a way she will at least hear ~ about money. I think the grand will continue to do as she does but there will come a day when she remembers what you taught her.

With very difficult Gifts, telling them the things we know they will need to know as they embark upon their chaotic lives is our job.

I don't think they behave as they do intentionally.

I wish with all my heart that I had known about detachment theory when mine were still in school. Instead, I felt guilt. I tried harder. I wondered where I had gone wrong and accused myself of a thousand missteps.

This did not work for us, and it did not work for our children.

When my kids were approaching their mid-thirties, I "got" detachment theory parenting.

And that helped us.

Not just D H and myself, but my kids.

Detachment parenting, for me, is about learning to detach from the emotions. From guilt especially, but from kind and sometimes, from loving and accepting and understanding. We need to set a firm line for our kids who are differently wired. In order to parent in the ways they require, we need to be very, very strong, ourselves.

Pretty much, we need to do it without support.

Everyone will judge us harshly, including our children.

But it seems to help the kids.

As you are here with us longer, you will develop your own theories of detachment, and of how best to teach your granddaughter how to face and manage her illness and create her disciplined life.

There is nothing you need to do, right now.

You are here with us. You will learn over time from our stories, and from sharing your own.

Impulsivity is a piece that our troubled or Gift From God kids need help with. It is impulsivity that is at the root of the lunchroom issue. If you can help her recognize and sail firmly through that "have it now" place in her mind, that will help her in all of her life. A part of the lunchroom issue may be that she treats herself to the special coffee because school itself is so hard for her.

Anxiety at the level our Gifts From God feel it is not something we can understand. They hear and feel and know things we do not. Whether those things are real to us is not the issue.

Those feelings are so very real, to them.

I learned that from my daughter. How courageous a battle they fight just to do the normal things.

Even so, these are feelings your grand will experience all of her life.

If you can learn more about what she will be faced with because of her genetic heritage, then you can help her with these things now, while she is still at home.

It is never too late. It is never wrong to tell them we love them. The issues should be presented, I think, as just the genetics involved. When you are ready and you present the information to your grand, it is good to remember too that those are the same genetics that account for incredible business success, for the courage to explore, for the ability to think so outside the box that new ways of life are possible for all.

Because these things are equally true, for our blazing, outrageous, Gift From God kids.

Cedar

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

my son was still enraged ~ especially at me ~ for abandoning him when our daughter became so troubled. Though my D H was there and doubled up on all things having to do with fathering his son ~ brought him on excellent vacations with his uncles, even...my son's life had changed.

Cedar's story - back a couple of years - was a major wake-up call for me. We were headed down that very path. It's been extremely tough, and the end of the story isn't written yet, but... I started putting significant effort into Kid2. Which made our more difficult older kid even harder to live with. But we could not allow his "difficultness and difficulties" to make it so his sibling didn't have a life and future.

ksm

but... I started putting significant effort into Kid2. Which made our more difficult older kid even harder to live with.

Difficult Child is already jealous of younger sis... Because she is our sons biological child, and she doesn't know who her bio dad is. It doesn't matter that he was there before she was born and still considers her his dtr. He has been a parent to her more so than bio mom. And to be honest, with out DNA I can't even be sure if little sis is his bio child... Biomom was rather, uhh, active?

She also gets mad that little sis seems to have more friends, school comes a bit easier. Little sis also suffers from anxiety... But is very pleasant to be around, most the time, little sis always feels that Difficult Child gets away with more things, is more outgoing, can talk to anybody, is a size smaller, has blond hair, etc.

I know our time and energy has been directed at Difficult Child, and little sis sees it too. But Difficult Child only feels like the opposite. KSM

Our son has conduct disorder. This throws his perception of reality off. Any attention given to our other children he sees as ignoring him, and not loving him as much. I know it sounds a little silly, but difficult children, like those with conduct disorder, respond well with structured activities. We learned during intense home therapy over the summer that even teens respond well with schedules. Those schedules don't have to be limited to chores. They can include scheduled, uninterrupted, one on one time with each child. Balancing relationships with more than one child when one is difficult is a challenge. The scheduled time I allow each one to have my complete focus really helps my family.

InsaneCdn

But Difficult Child only feels like the opposite.
Been there done that. Do they EVER take it that way. It's taken most of two years (from when I put my foot down) for my more difficult child to even begin to understand that his sibling does NEED attention and interaction just like he does.

I understand... It doesn't always work with me either. My difficult child's siblings are old enough I gave them cell phones just to use for wi fi to play games and things. Often, I will send them personalized sweet messages from work using messenger. They really like that.

Scent of Cedar *

Back in the day, underlying belief system was that children acted out based on something wrong at home. In this time, we are tracing genetics and understanding more about genetics. In that time, I was the mom at home. It had to be me. That was how I saw it. I don't know how anyone else (social workers, treatment centers, therapists and etc) saw it. But because I believed it, and because I couldn't figure out what it was I had done or where I had gone wrong, I was not able to parent confidently. Here is an example. We had a framed print out of The Poopie List in our bathroom. It was funny, describing different kinds of poopies. I took it down and threw it away, thinking maybe that kind of irreverence was what happened to us. I wasn't easy, anymore. I didn't laugh with the kids, anymore. I felt I had failed, or had hurt my daughter and I did not know what I had done and I did not want to hurt my son.

That is the abandonment my son felt. It was the worst thing that could have happened to our family.

The most important thing I know is that unless someone can tell you, specifically, what you did wrong as a parent, then you did nothing wrong enough to justify the kinds of things that happen when we have a troubled child.

Our child would be diagnosed multiple times over the years to come. I refused to believe it.

I believe it, now.

I wanted to add that important piece about parents and confident parenting, and how much our children, even our troubled kids, but especially our other kids, need us to be the strong, confident parents we were.

Cedar