Success

Kitty

AlwaysSearching
Our son is 20 years old with a diagnosis of Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/not otherwise specified, Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), anxiety, depression, auditory dyslexia, and mild Tourettes. When he graduated from high school we enrolled him in a program where he could go to college with a support program, and live in an apartment monitored by that program. The program turned out not to be what it advertised and because of our son's inefficiency's in self regulation the program did not work out. We contacted an educational consultant and she suggested we send our son to a wilderness camp. My first impulse was no way, he won't be able to survive and they will be too tough on him. I learned that there are many wilderness camps out there and some are excellent. We decided to send him and it was the best decision of our lives. He spent 81 days at his wilderness camp and during that time became self sufficient, confident, and improved his coping abilities. He is now at an aftercare program learning to apply what he learned in a community setting. He has progressed in ways we never thought possible. :D

husband: 23 years wedded bliss
difficult child: 20 yrs. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)/not otherwise specified, Asperger Syndrome, ADHD, anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), depression, auditory Dyslexia, and mild Tourettes. Abilify and Vyvanse
easy child: 19 yr. son at University

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Welcome Kitty,

It sounds as if you've found a good fit. That's wonderful! What brought you here- how can we help you?

Suz

N

Nomad

That is wonderful! How long has he been in the aftercare program? How long is he expected to stay?

Perhaps you can give us an update in the coming weeks and months. I think the rules prohibit the name of too many specific details about the program...but I think you can tell us what he is doing, progress he might be making and hopes for the future, etc.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm not sure why my post doesn't show so I'll post it again...

Welcome Kitty,

It sounds as if you've found a good fit. That's wonderful! What brought you here- how can we help you?

Suz

C.J.

Welcome Kitty - and thanks for posting your good news.

When I first joined this community, I found myself venting more - with little good news to share. As mine got a little older (legal adult now), things got a little better, little by little. While not perfect, the stress and tension in my home has gone down considerably.

I'm so happy your son found this program worthwhile.

everywoman

Welcome. It is always great when our kids get to experience success. It is my opinion that each little bit of success leads to more confidence and that leads to greater successes. You are probably like me. When my difficult child was little I had dreams of attending his medication school graduation. That is not who he has turned out to be. But, the more he grows into the man he will be, the more I like who he is.

maril

Good for him and you! I hope he continues to do well in the community. I can imagine how thankful you must be.

I have no experience with wilderness programs, am always willing to listen and learn, and it is good to hear your son's success story.

BusynMember

Wow. Great! I can see a WIlderness Camp being wonderful for an Aspie. I have a son who is like yours and unsure of himself about his self-sufficiency. Maybe something like that would give him confidence as well.

Thanks for the good news :)