Text message ignored this morning......

My son text me this morning. First time in over 6 months. He was in jail for 5 of those months and he's been out for a month. No contact whatsoever before that for quite some time. Haven't seen him in person in nearly 4 years. His text was this:

Is there any places hiring and any cheap places to rent around there right now?

That's it. After all this time? Really? It was right when I got to work too and walked into several problems so it was good I didn't have time to respond. Needless to say it upset me and it took me a while to calm down but I was proud I didn't react like I used to. As a matter of fact, I never responded and he never text again. Now what? We wait. Either for the other shoe to drop or for him to finally get it. I'm so wore out with it and I've done it alone for far too long.

All of the things I could have said or suggested have already been said and suggested so many times. Yet, the guilt of knowing you can't help them when you want to so bad is the hardest part. I must make him become self sufficient on his own. He's 28 years old and does nothing with his life but stays obsessed with getting a truck and driving on a license he's never, ever obtained. He's never medically been allowed to have a driver's license. A license that's also has been revoked for years. He may very well be to the point he can never have one he's been caught driving so many times. Like pouring gas on a fire, the epilepsy will only get worse and not better with him drinking too. Thankfully he's had only one DUI in 2017. None of his arrests while driving and/or getting jail time has involved any alcohol since then. That's shocking to me but I'm grateful.

My one friend said it's like beating a dead horse trying. I say like a broken record. But still, deep down inside you feel guilty because you're scared to not try again. I've made it clear, rehab is a mandatory and a halfway house would help him find his way. His insurance would pay for it too but he refuses. He just wants me to find or buy him a place to live so he can be alone (he can't get along with anybody) and still drink. He also smokes cigarettes and that combined with alcohol and epilepsy is asking for a seizure or passed out with a cigarette in his hand. I will not facilitate that. Then I think but what if that's all he needs? Yes, and what if he gets drunk and dies of a seizure in his sleep? Or gets arrested for driving again then then I'm stuck with a lease or figuring out what to do with his stuff? I just really am so sick of it.

This is the hardest thing in life I've ever had to do. That's even including years of epilepsy and a brain surgery. He is my only child and it just makes it that much harder. I don't understand why God has put us all in these positions. I feel defeated too often because of it. Thank you for letting me share. It's been a hard day.

Last edited:

ANewLife4Me

I think that you should be proud of yourself and how you’re handling this. 🤗 That text was a test from him to you seeking a response. If he had gotten one he knew you were hooked and he could attempt further texts asking for money or a place to stay at your home. As you said you have told him about places before so he knows what’s around in your area. My daughter has done similar things with me starting a conversation off with, so you like the room now that I am not there? What did you do with it? Right there is an opening of her hoping we will say she can come back if she wants. They are so sneaky aren’t they? When we had our blinders on we could not see the manipulation but oh, do we see it now!

Holding firm onto his entering rehab and then a half way house would really show you he wants to change his life around. Sadly for many that is not the end of the story as they relapse or leave the home. Just when we think it’s over, it might not be. Because of his refusal to do this I don’t think you should have any feelings of being defeated because the power is in his hands, not yours. Only he can make choices for his life and we the parents just have to let them do so. We know what’s best for them but trying to force our opinions on them is only going to be met with resistance. It’s a darn shame they only come to us when they need something, no contact until then. We should really think hard on what that is saying to us, they are using us. Understandable that with his drinking can cause seizures or that lit cigarette a fire causes you so much worry. But as I tell myself more and more these days, has my worry changed anything? Did my hovering over my daughters every move after she cut her wrists stop her from ever doing it again? No. For our sanity, we have to let go and move on unless they show us real improvement. 🤗

Today I went out and had a nice lunch, my heart was not into shopping but not because of my daughter’s situation but because of me. I drove past the jail where she is and did not have feelings of panic, of dread. Today it was another building that I drove by. Even though it’s taken awhile I am coming to terms with letting her learn the really hard lesson of life that I sheltered her from for so many years. Do I worry she will commit suicide? I do but, nothing in my power will stop it if that’s what she chooses. I pray that God will help our children as like you, it’s too much anymore to handle on my own. My own depression, panic attacks, health issues…I don’t want it.

No. For our sanity, we have to let go and move on unless they show us real improvement. 🤗
SO TRUE!!!

I think that you should be proud of yourself and how you’re handling this. 🤗 That text was a test from him to you seeking a response. If he had gotten one he knew you were hooked and he could attempt further texts asking for money or a place to stay at your home. As you said you have told him about places before so he knows what’s around in your area. My daughter has done similar things with me starting a conversation off with, so you like the room now that I am not there? What did you do with it? Right there is an opening of her hoping we will say she can come back if she wants. They are so sneaky aren’t they? When we had our blinders on we could not see the manipulation but oh, do we see it now!
ANewLife4Me you nailed it! It's a way to hook me back into the same old conversation. Beating that dead horse. A way to hook my guilt by knowing I will feel sorry and worry for him that he needs a place to go. He was with his dad the first year or so (that's where I dropped him 4 years ago) but I know his dad put him out. He got a taste of what I've lived. I think they even tried to put him in a three day psychiatric ward at Vanderbilt for alcoholism. I can read all of the medical notes online from all the years he was at Vanderbilt as a kid with epilepsy. He was just angry in the notes as usual and he left. He's been living with this old gay guy for the last few years and he is lucky he keeps letting him come back after jail. I am proud today that I didn't respond. I was running on empty yesterday so, after a night of rest, I feel better. Thank you for being proud of me.

My son went to rehab one time. Stayed the 28 days, moved to the halfway house and then refused to follow the rules so he got kicked out. He had been there about three months. Rent and everything was $100 a month! He had transportation, food, everything he needed. He's refused to try again at the cost of having no place to go. Our initial plan (before the drinking started) was to put a tiny home on the lot I own next to my house for him to live. He could afford that with his disability check. It would have been the perfect set up but I refused to do it when the drinking began. He knows all he has to do is go to rehab. His choice, his consequence.

I so know what you said about driving by the jail. The jail here is just about a half mile from my house. I'm so glad you were able to ride by there and not have any feelings about it. I'm grateful I don't have to do that here now since he's two hours south of me. He got out of jail down there this time with $4,200 in the bank. Social Security kept paying him this time and didn't find out he was incarcerated until after he got out. I received the letter in the mail since he's still not changed his address with them. Another broken record. So he's got money but he's probably already ran through it as usual.

Thank you for taking the time to be here for me. I really appreciate you! I somehow know that if you and I were to ever meet in person, we would become fast friends! I'm wishing you a Happy Friday! I'm off work today so I'm going to stay busy at the house.

Last edited:

ANewLife4Me

ANewLife4Me you nailed it! It's a way to hook me back into the same old conversation. Beating that dead horse. A way to hook my guilt by knowing I will feel sorry and worry for him that he needs a place to go. He was with his dad the first year or so (that's where I dropped him 4 years ago) but I know his dad put him out. He got a taste of what I've lived. I think they even tried to put him in a three day psychiatric ward at Vanderbilt for alcoholism. I can read all of the medical notes online from all the years he was at Vanderbilt as a kid with epilepsy. He was just angry in the notes as usual and he left. He's been living with this old gay guy for the last few years and he is lucky he keeps letting him come back after jail. I am proud today that I didn't respond. I was running on empty yesterday so, after a night of rest, I feel better. Thank you for being proud of me.

My son went to rehab one time. Stayed the 28 days, moved to the halfway house and then refused to follow the rules so he got kicked out. He had been there about three months. Rent and everything was $100 a month! He had transportation, food, everything he needed. He's refused to try again at the cost of having no place to go. Our initial plan (before the drinking started) was to put a tiny home on the lot I own next to my house for him to live. He could afford that with his disability check. It would have been the perfect set up but I refused to do it when the drinking began. He knows all he has to do is go to rehab. His choice, his consequence.

I so know what you said about driving by the jail. The jail here is just about a half mile from my house. I'm so glad you were able to ride by there and not have any feelings about it. I'm grateful I don't have to do that here now since he's two hours south of me. He got out of jail down there this time with $4,200 in the bank. Social Security kept paying him this time and didn't find out he was incarcerated until after he got out. I received the letter in the mail since he's still not changed his address with them. Another broken record. So he's got money but he's probably already ran through it as usual.

Thank you for taking the time to be here for me. I really appreciate you! I somehow know that if you and I were to ever meet in person, we would become fast friends! I'm wishing you a Happy Friday! I'm off work today so I'm going to stay busy at the house.
Thank you my friend! I do believe we would get along so well as we share a lot in common. 🤗 I am screaming here though at the idea of putting up a house for him on your property, I almost did it too. Since he does receive money from SS at least he has that for a start. But to give our children a home as well? Yes it would give us a sense of peace, we know where they are and are safe? I use a question mark there because he would be enabled to continue drinking, even under your watchful eye he could still have a seizure. Can you image the daily torture you would go through? Running out of money and demanding it from you, potential violence when you try to be firm and say no. I beg of you to not give it a second thought and if his Dad or gay friend won’t take him back in well……this also is your very last bit of letting him see the full implications of his actions, being on the streets. It’s terrifying for me to even think about how living with no shelter can be but, have we not tried everything? Sacrificed everything? If this does not wake your son up or my daughter, I don’t know what will. My daughter will have no money when she gets out and yet I am going to keep my word and let her figure it out. Your son has a bit of money, the house with everything for only $100. is crazy! Sign me up am moving in! 😁 I keep using the, the want their cake and eat it too. So okay Mom your part in my life is to feed my addictions and give me a place to stay. Anything else in my life you are not a part of and you will let me do as I want, bring strangers to your house, keep you worried and unsettled each day. I find joy in your unhappiness. As an example when my Gizmo died, we put her to sleep, when my husband came back home with an empty blanket, some fur and her paw prints. I immediately lost it, wailed like I never have in my life! He had to get to work even though he did not want too. Just me and my daughter, she comes out of her bedroom and yells at me to stop! she was trying to sleep and had to be at work soon. I was shocked! Told her to leave me alone! She then says….awwww look at you, crying fake tears…your so fake. If there ever was a moment that I could of physically hurt her badly, this was it! Instead I screamed for her to leave me alone! I could not think or have the strength to argue because of my grief. This! is what they are truly about, their own agenda and not a care in the world about us. My daughter did nothing to help around the house, even asked her to mow the lawn, she saw how we struggled and finally had to buy an expensive ride on mower. Then! she says she would help mow the law. H*ll no! Not touching an expensive thing you will ruin. Unfortunately we have to remember the bad they did to us in order to keep strong. We deserve this so much, we are still good parents with open arms waiting should they choose to help themselves and respect us. 🤗❤️

Happy Friday to you as well, have a lovely day off from work! 🥰

Wow! Bless your heart on your daughter talking to you like that when you just lost your beloved pet. Those little fur babies are the best and I so relate to how it made you feel about your daughter when she acted like that towards you. Mine threatened to send the police to my office and have me arrested over some money. Plus the day he hit me? It's how I felt many times with my son here attacking me as well. I so get where you're coming from. A lot of times I think, "Why didn't I just have a dog?" That's so awful but so true. I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Gizmo. They are the absolute best. Always loving, loyal, happy, obedient and truly little gifts from God.

You're so right in what he would be doing here had I done the tiny home. How many days would I be over there checking on him to make sure he's not dead? After every single day of going into his bedroom in the morning to give his medications from 10 years old on? Always praying to God I wasn't going to find him dead from a seizure in his sleep. Like I said, add alcohol and it's way more dangerous to happen. My son has no clue what I endured prior to alcoholism. My dad and my sister both major alcoholics. I cannot deal with it and I don't have to now. I wasn't putting myself in that position anymore. The epilepsy was hard enough as it was. I have major PTSD from it.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to be here for me. You have no idea how much this is helping. Sending you much love and many hugs in gratitude. ❤️❤️❤️ :hugs:

ANewLife4Me

Wow! Bless your heart on your daughter talking to you like that when you just lost your beloved pet. Those little fur babies are the best and I so relate to how it made you feel about your daughter when she acted like that towards you. Mine threatened to send the police to my office and have me arrested over some money. Plus the day he hit me? It's how I felt many times with my son here attacking me as well. I so get where you're coming from. A lot of times I think, "Why didn't I just have a dog?" That's so awful but so true. I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Gizmo. They are the absolute best. Always loving, loyal, happy, obedient and truly little gifts from God.

You're so right in what he would be doing here had I done the tiny home. How many days would I be over there checking on him to make sure he's not dead? After every single day of going into his bedroom in the morning to give his medications from 10 years old on? Always praying to God I wasn't going to find him dead from a seizure in his sleep. Like I said, add alcohol and it's way more dangerous to happen. My son has no clue what I endured prior to alcoholism. My dad and my sister both major alcoholics. I cannot deal with it and I don't have to now. I wasn't putting myself in that position anymore. The epilepsy was hard enough as it was. I have major PTSD from it.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to be here for me. You have no idea how much this is helping. Sending you much love and many hugs in gratitude. ❤️❤️❤️ :hugs:
Thank YOU for being here and continuing to share, even if it’s painful. I hate that what we share is such a horrible thing though. 🤗 Also thank you so much about Gizmo, she was an amazing girl and is definitely missed. ❤️🌈 I grew up in a home affected by alcohol, my Dad. When he was not home was pure bliss, weekends and evenings I retreated to my bedroom and hid only coming out for the bathroom or something to eat. So I do understand how much torture this can be for both you and him. It tends to run through down the family line as my grandfather too was a hard alcohol, alcoholic. His was so bad that most days he had a second home out in the shed so drunk by the time he came inside he would fight and hit his wife. My sister for awhile was drinking everyday but then stopped for fear of health issues. I drink at times but am so violently against it because of my past but my husband at times will get me so mad such as at the BBQ he had too much.

I am so glad you agree and see how bad an idea that would have been to have given him a home on your property. My husband is actually the one who made me see the sense of why we could not do this for our daughter, she would feel entitled to do anything she pleased in her own “home” I have even had thoughts of buying her a junk car just so that she had some sort of shelter. Nope, I would have to tag and insure it and any damage to it or another would fall on us including being taken to court for compensation. You see? We mean well, we really do but…..who is left time and again to pick up the pieces?

My plan is to steer my daughter towards getting a transit pass and telling her to go to the area where they feed the homeless, will give her a tent if needed. I will not confront her myself but will talk through my Ring doorbell camera. If violent of course the police. I even changed my phone number earlier this year because every time my phone showed the jail, sent me into an instant panic attack and talking about why? why would she call us? what did she want? On and on to my husband and of course we had no answers.
With his violence do you too happen to have a plan if this or that occurs? I think it’s a great idea as one book mentioned to think of every scenario and how you might handle it in a way that your in control, not them. 😊

My plan is to steer my daughter towards getting a transit pass and telling her to go to the area where they feed the homeless, will give her a tent if needed. I will not confront her myself but will talk through my Ring doorbell camera. If violent of course the police. I even changed my phone number earlier this year because every time my phone showed the jail, sent me into an instant panic attack and talking about why? why would she call us? what did she want? On and on to my husband and of course we had no answers.
With his violence do you too happen to have a plan if this or that occurs? I think it’s a great idea as one book mentioned to think of every scenario and how you might handle it in a way that your in control, not them. 😊
Yes, I worry about him buying a truck with that money and showing up here. I do think he would be very reluctant to drive two hours to my house without a license and epilepsy though. Let's hope he wouldn't anyway. I think your plan is good to steer your daughter away. Get her to an area where she has access to resources. A friend of mine did that with her daughter. Also, not answering the door for me too. Act like I'm not home. It's sad we have been put in these positions by our own flesh and blood. We must protect ourselves though. I did block my son from my phone for almost 3 years. I should have kept it that way as nothing has changed.

Alcoholism is the worst. I'm sorry you had to grow up like that too. My grandfather on my mother's side was so bad he had a little shed type house out back and literally laid in the bed drinking straight from the bottle all day. Would just pee himself in the bed and keep right on drinking. I remember my mom would go there to check on him and she would make me stay on the front porch. I never, ever was allowed to go inside. I could hear him in there yelling at her while I waited for her so we could leave. I so get it. I will have a few drinks while on vacation but I never drink at home. Not even a drink out at dinner. It's like drinking liquid poison to me.

I would definitely call the police on my son if he tried to get into my house. No worries there but I really don't think he would chance it. I'm praying your daughter will go elsewhere. When is she supposed to be released? It's so much easier when they are locked up. We can relax knowing they can't show up at our doors.

ANewLife4Me

Yes, I worry about him buying a truck with that money and showing up here. I do think he would be very reluctant to drive two hours to my house without a license and epilepsy though. Let's hope he wouldn't anyway. I think your plan is good to steer your daughter away. Get her to an area where she has access to resources. A friend of mine did that with her daughter. Also, not answering the door for me too. Act like I'm not home. It's sad we have been put in these positions by our own flesh and blood. We must protect ourselves though. I did block my son from my phone for almost 3 years. I should have kept it that way as nothing has changed.

Alcoholism is the worst. I'm sorry you had to grow up like that too. My grandfather on my mother's side was so bad he had a little shed type house out back and literally laid in the bed drinking straight from the bottle all day. Would just pee himself in the bed and keep right on drinking. I remember my mom would go there to check on him and she would make me stay on the front porch. I never, ever was allowed to go inside. I could hear him in there yelling at her while I waited for her so we could leave. I so get it. I will have a few drinks while on vacation but I never drink at home. Not even a drink out at dinner. It's like drinking liquid poison to me.

I would definitely call the police on my son if he tried to get into my house. No worries there but I really don't think he would chance it. I'm praying your daughter will go elsewhere. When is she supposed to be released? It's so much easier when they are locked up. We can relax knowing they can't show up at our doors.
I understand your unblocking his phone number as I have done this with both of my children. In doing so there is that moment of hope that they have changed but the truth is always the opposite and very same. It is sad as you said that we have to hide in our own homes if they should come around. My daughter will definitely know I am home though as my car is always in the driveway.

We are not sure of a release date, the lawyer will not communicate with me and the court documents I can read online say she has another appearance on June 16th. They may say time served as it’s been 6 months now. I guess that just have to wait and see. 😊

Going to go push myself now and get my exercise done. This is the hard part, getting up and doing it. Okay, okay….I am going. 🤗❤️

Going to go push myself now and get my exercise done. This is the hard part, getting up and doing it. Okay, okay….I am going. 🤗❤️

Praying she's learned something and will come out wanting to make a change. I say enjoy your time right now while you can until she gets out. Even if it's exercising! That last line was too cute and too funny! :laugh:

ANewLife4Me

Praying she's learned something and will come out wanting to make a change. I say enjoy your time right now while you can until she gets out. Even if it's exercising! That last line was too cute and too funny! :laugh:
I had a small break down during my exercise, it’s because of that used to be her bedroom. But…put a timer on it, 20 minutes is all she gets. Even though we want to be strong there still is much sadness…sadness of what could have been. We are learning though aren’t we my friend that we both deserve a life too! So thankful for you and for this board being here. 🤗❤️