The best bad day I've had in quite a while.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
To cut to the chase, Wee fell apart today in music class.

He did fine til the last 10 minutes of class, when they started learning a new song. Shortly into the new song, he took himself to what is called the "safe seat", which is a chair off by itself where the teacher sticks kids who aren't behaving in class. Wee crawled under the chair.

We've known for several years that Wee doesn't handle new songs in music well. So not a shocker. He also can't read, which he is very self-conscious of. And how do 3rd graders learn new songs? By reading the words... uh...duh...

Instead of leaving him be, the music teacher made a big stink about him being under the chair instead of on the chair and ended up giving him an ultimatum - in the chair, or rejoin class. The para did not intervene. Wee left the room. The para followed, and Wee asked to go to the SpEd teacher. He was flapping his arms. The para asked him to stop. He asked to go to the SpEd teacher. The para wrapped his arms around Wee to stop the hand flapping.

And then the fight was on.

Wee kicked the para repeatedly. Another teacher went to the SpEd room to get the SpEd teacher. SpEd teacher intervened, and took Wee back to her room. After allowing him space to calm down, he told her he got angry in music and hid, and then no one would leave him alone, and largely described the events that followed.

She then talked to the para, and later, to the music teacher.

AND SHE WAS THOROUGHLY FRUSTRATED WITH THE ADULTS IN THE SITUATION!!!!

She got Wee pulled together, and he rejoined his class and completed the day.

After school, she talked to the para and explained why Wee hid under the chair. Then she talked to the music teacher. She asked the music teacher to implement a visual schedule, and in the future, if Wee removed himself from a situation, to leave it alone unless he was being disruptive!

The music teacher claims to have agreed (she's also been the music teacher from the git-go, so...who knows) but SOMEONE STOOD UP FOR WEE!!!!

And they didnt' call me to come get him!

And they didn't even call me at all til the end of the day!

And she put things in place to hopefully prevent the situation from happening again!

AND SHE PUT HERSELF IN WEE'S SHOES AND UNDERSTOOD!!!!

OMG. Do I dare hope?

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!!!

WTH is wrong with-people, anyway? Makes me just want to smack everyone.

Wee made perfect sense.

Yes, you can dare hope. As long as that Special Education teacher is in the bldg, at any rate.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Shari - that is GREAT! Not that Wee fell apart but that SpEd stood up for him. That makes my heart smile.

The other adults are just like the people who said we should give BM custody to stop her antics (yeah, look what's happened to my kids so far), or who tell us our kids will behave if we are tougher on them. They've not lived with our kids!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am in shock...initially absolutely horrified by the adults' reaction to Wee's perfect handling of removing himself from the situation...and then by the SpeEd teacher standing up for Wee and calling the others to the mat on his behalf. Amazing! And yes, you can dare to hope because at least you know there is ONE person in Wee's corner.

Good for him for taking himself to the chair. Shame on his ignorant music teacher for making a big deal out of nothing.

Yay!!!

Lothlorien

SpEd teacher should be given a kiss from all of the board mommies here! That's fabulous! It's even more fabulous that Wee told the teacher what was wrong. The para needs to be given special instructions on how to deal with an autistic child. It sounds like she hasn't a clue!

Jena

wow that's great and a long time coming. yea hope away. you gotta ride the good stuff not just the bad, and you have had enough bad :) enjoy it! how did wee feel about this, was there that realization like wow someone stood up for me or was he not aware??

this is going to sound bad yet i would of kicked her too :) stupid woman, kid goes in chair knows where he's at and she blows it out of water.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am thrilled. Saw the principal this morning, briefly, and not a word was said of the incident. No repurcussions.

The way it should be.

Mallory is resurfacing again...she apparently sees Wee on the playground. I emailed SpEd teacher about that this morning. Hopefully we can head that off before its a problem like last year.

For now, I'm going to go eat kiddie cereal in celebration. Then I will probably go to sleep.