The Furnace/AC broke... :(

witzend

Our gas furnace is 30 years old. I have had it checked and tuned up a couple of times and they tell me that it burns clean and the fan works fine, but that the bottom of the sealed pan is rusting away and when it rusts through there would be a hole where the hot (or cold) air would blow into the garage instead of the house. Today, the air coming through was warm. It's the warmest weather of the year of course. I want to check the gas or whatever is inside it to be sure it doesn't need to be topped off, and check about holes. I have heard both that they can and can't be repaired.

Has anyone replaced a gas furnace lately? How much did it cost? Or did you consider doing it yourself? We have a one story house of about 2,000 sf, with a heat pump that we never use which runs through the furnace fan anyway, so we still need the furnace fans. Any experience ideas with this?

Thanks!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We had our gas furnace replaced about 8 years ago because we found out it was defective (fire hazard). Plus it was already about 15 years old. My brother in law got us one from his H/AC company a little above cost and I think we paid about $1,500 for it... I'd guess you're looking about about $2,000 to $3,000 now, installed.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Yuck, Witz!! I've never replaced one. I move too often. ;) I just wear them out then leave.

Hope you can find something affordable. That's a good chunk of dough.

Abbey

4sumrzn

May 2004......$2600. We never considered doing ourselves & didn't know anyone personally to do it. Oh, I forgot, the house "air cleaner" unit was installed then too......haven't found that to be effective ($300 & very expensive filters).

Wiped Out

Staff member
Witz,
No fun! Two summers ago our ac went during a record heat streak and this winter our furnace went on the coldest day of the winter. Our furnace cost about $3,000!

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG YOU ARE MY SOUL SISTER..............

MEEEEEEEEE TOO - ant it is currently 101 in the house and NO a/c -

Frosty the snow Swede is melting and in a great mood. It's actually cooler outside - so I thought - HEY I'll go lay outside - started raining.
-stopped raining and I thought - Okay back out we go.
-HUGE HUGE stag beetle landed on me...not afraid but still I'm trying to rest. I am not running beetle rescue at 11:30.

FRIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG this house will not let me go.

Pray for us (as we do for you) that you will find a cheap solution.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:whiteflag::whiteflag: