This is disturbing!

Christy

I was searching for something online to help my difficult child when I hit on a youtube video. Curious I watched it and it was a woman vlogging about her special needs kids. Interesting. Then, the video ends and I see that she has another video entitled Austin's Tantrum. Okay that's in poor taste to publish a fit on the internet but I'm curious so I watch it. Then, when it ends, I see that there is a whole string of "tantrum" videos posted by different people. Are people out of there minds? Are they so desperate for help that they are advertising there child at their worst on the internet, or worse yet, do they actually think that it's entertaining?

Had to share,
Christy

Star*

call 911........call 911
I don't know about the videos. I think and would hope that it's more of a means to make people aware perhaps?

I say this because the rest of the vlog for that woman is under special needs. ???

I have a video of Dude shooting an arrow at me - you think I'm going to put that on the web? I only showed it to his psychiatrist.

Todays society has become very open. So maybe to the parents who posted it - it's like asking for help???

I dunno.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I wasn't even comfortable posting difficult child's tantrum video here, tho I did post (and delete) the other. Yiikes. That's messed up.

Lothlorien

I suppose it would be people looking for help.

I haven't seen those videos. I do know that when I was looking for help and was told by a "professional" that Missy was just having a normal temper trantrum and that I just had to deal with it, if I could have gotten her rages on video, I might have shown them to anyone in order to get answers. Before I came to this website, I called her rages fits. I didn't know the lingo and couldn't convey or get the professionals to understand that these were not your typical tantrums that a 2 year old would have. These were 45 minute long(and longer) outrageous screaming and destroying her room kind of fits.

I'm not even going to try to find these videos, because it would probably bring on a major attack of PTSD.....as my daugter is raging in her room as I type this.

Christy

Yes. I can understand video taping an episode to show to a therapist or other people of your choosing but to broadcast of the web is just wrong!

klmno

All I can say is that I REALLY hope these parents are not doing that to show their kids and humiliate them thinking it will punish them enough to make them stop. It is definitely different to do it to have other experienced people (including other parents) give an opinion, but not to exploit their kids, in my humble opinion. I know this forum is public, but I still view it a lot differently than putting our worst moments out on the most public places, in photos no less.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
agreed I have wanted to record difficult child's for proof for the professionals but not for public viewing! Sad and sick

Sara PA

I think people who do that are trying to gain sympathy for themselves. Perhaps they want to be seen as victims, perhaps as martyrs. Seems like one step above Munchausen by Proxy and one step below Munchausen by Internet. Whatever the motivation, it's about the parent, not the child.

meowbunny

I think Sara said it well. It is a form of seeking attention. To my mind, it's no different than the vid fights that kids are posting all over the place. Wrong, inappropriate, sickening.

N

Nomad

I think it can be parents seeking attention. It can be parents seeking help. I do think most parents would hesitate to post a video though, because it really is too revealing of the family...of the child's identity. I can have sympathy for a parents desperate need for help. Surely, a parent can get into a desperate situation. However, a video seems like a questionable way to go about getting that help.

DammitJanet

I dont know. I hate to point fingers because many might be a bit suspicious of the fact that we sit here and talk about some pretty private and intimate stuff dealing with out kids and families. Maybe you just stumbled into the video equivalent of this website. Or maybe not...

Sara PA

Janet -- BIG difference between this site and youtube. Big difference. This site draws people looking for help and support with problems in their families. youtube is the ultimate LAM!* site for people who post personal videos. There's no help or support there, just attention.

*Look At Me!

DammitJanet

Christy...we dont post photos or names? Have you looked in my signature? Those are all my real names. I have posted links to pictures of my family and if it wasnt against the sites policy I would use them as my avatar. I simply am not afraid of anything that I have posted here on this site being used against anyone in my family. I havent said anything untrue and as they say ...truth is the best defense.

I dont do you tube because I have dial up internet and it takes me too long to download so I have no idea what is out there on that site.

TerryJ2

Okay, the diff is that we EXPLAIN that we are seeking help.
We are only guessing why the tantrum video parents are placing their videos online.

Having said that, I googled "Austin's Tantrum" and came up with-this:

>On my friend's blog, she noted that her son has had increased tantrums and wondered if it could possibly be due to gluten withdrawals. Today, Austin had 3 tantrums but could this be the cause already? Or was it a combination of that and lack of nap because huge, loud trucks kept driving down our street and woke him up early?

So maybe at least some of the videos are legit, so to speak. If we're going to pass judgment, IOW.