This sure is a long and bumpy road.....

toughlovin

Hi all,

As many of you know my son has been in and out of rehab forever..... Last July was the first time he seemed to really want it for himself (not for us or the courts). He did well and then relapsed a couple of times. So recently he has been in yet another sober house and going to an IOP and seemed to be doing ok....but last week he didn't go to IOP a couple of days which got my suspicions up. We decided to split up when we give him money for expenses (while he looks for a job) and make it contingent on going to the IOP. He seemed fine with that.

So today I checked and once again he did not go to IOP.... And he is not responding to texts and has not been on FB since Saturday. Arghh.... So now I am very very suspicious, these are signs he is relapsing again and I am ready to say forget it you are on your own. I was sitting here preparing myself for him to be homeless again. I really hate him being homeless and really don't want to go there, but honestly maybe it is time to just cut him off completely.

And then he called us. He is back in residential for a week to get back on track! He talked to the sober house folks and they all agreed this was his best bet. He was honest about having relapsed again and why....and although it is a another step back, this time he did figure out what to do himself, got help himself, got himself back into residential and wants to move forward again. And since he doesn't have a phone or FB right now he didn't see my messages asking what is going on and just called us.

So I am relieved that at least for now I dont have to picture him homeless again.

TL

InsaneCdn

TL... he is going to make it. Maybe this time, maybe not. But each time around now, he is coming out of his "dip" at a higher level. It's a good sign. Also a good sign that he is doing the right things independently.

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
I know it is stressful and worrying, but I agree that it is positive that he was able to "catch" and redirect himself. Baby steps are at least movements forward...

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
TL, I'm glad to hear he is trying to get back on track. Oh the ups and downs, they can be so draining.
I hope you are taking time for yourself to be good to yourself.

New Leaf

And then he called us. He is back in residential for a week to get back on track! He talked to the sober house folks and they all agreed this was his best bet. He was honest about having relapsed again and why....and although it is a another step back, this time he did figure out what to do himself, got help himself, got himself back into residential and wants to move forward again.
Oh TL, it has been a bumpy ride, but this is good news. He is trying. Prayers going up for you and yours......
(((HUGS)))
leafy

AppleCori

I am impressed!

He is learning valuable lessons: resiliency, determination, self-reliance, responsibility, coping skills, self-respect, and many others.

He is doing well.

I am so happy for you all.

Apple

Jabberwockey

Just try to remember that relapse is a part of the process. I would consider the fact that he appears to be coming out ahead of the game to be a positive thing.