tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy

crazymama30

Has anyone had these procedures as an adult? How did it go? husband will be having one either next week or at end of October.

donna723

I haven't myself but my daughter had her tonsils out when she was 15. Her adenoids were taken out when she was four when she had tubes put in her ears. It was rougher on her at 15 than it would have been when she was younger, but I'm not sure how typical her experiences were. She was supposed to go in the hospital very early in the morning, have her surgery, then go home in the afternoon or early evening. Her surgery went fine, but she was still very groggy for a long time. Medications tend to have a strong affect on her and take a long time to wear off. She had some bleeding and the bleeding caused vomiting, which had to be pretty rough. She wasn't supposed to get up by herself but the minute I left the room she tried to go to the bathroom by herself and passed out in there! We ended up letting her spend the night in the hospital and bringing her home the next day. I didn't feel comfortable bringing her home that same day since she had had the bleeding and vomiting.

She bounced back very quickly though and was eating potato chips two days later!

crazymama30

Potato chips???? Oh, that sounds painful. So if it is bad at 15, it won't be good at 41 will it? lol. I am leary of having the surgery at an outpatient surgicenter. If it is at the hospital then they can just wheel a gurney up to a room. That sounds better than arranging transport.

donna723

My daughters' was done at a regular hospital in the "short stay surgery", not one of the separate outpatient centers. I would be a little leery of those too - what if there are complications? Probably not, but there's always that possibility.

tiredmommy

My thought is that he should be at a hospital if he will be under general anesthesia, too many things could go wrong. As for the actual surgery, I seem to recall hearing that the adult recovery can be more difficult and somewhat longer than for children. Kids heal faster!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
His recovery may be longer. Good thing is that nowdays it's done via laser. So hemorhage (can't spell tonight) risk is MUCH lower. Adults have a tendency to bleed way more than kids.

Soft foods for awhile ought to help alot. No ice cream. Dairy products tend to "hang" in the throat and make you want to clear your throat or cough. A big no no.

Hope it goes well for him.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I had both taken out at about age 35. It wasn't too bad, but that was in the day where they kept you in the hospital for a few days. Lots of jello!!:D

It was one of the best decisions I ever did. Sinus infections are a thing of the past. (knock on wood)

Your adnoids serve a purpose to hold junk, aka bacteria. In a normal person, they hold and slowly release. Mine didn't release, hence lots of colds, ear infections, etc.

My daughter had them out at age 4 and was running around in a few days. Me...well, I'd say a week or so.

I would certainly counsel someone to have the adnoids taken as well as the tonsils.

Abbey

M

ML

I know two kids (18ish) that just had this done and it was pretty painful for them. It took almost 2 weeks to feel better.. But they feel so much better now and are glad they had it done.

everywoman

I had mine out at 18, my senior year, over spring break. I think my family was scared I'd go to Ft. Lauderdale or Daytona and never come home, lol. It was rough for a week---but much better never having strep throat again!!!!

Fosterdaughter had hers out about a month ago---she is 25. She had a hard time. But she is a hypochondriac, drama queen anyway.

donna723

That's why my daughter had hers out too. From about age 10 on up she had one case of strep after another! They'd give her antibiotics, she'd take it all, and she got better for a while, then a month later she had it again! It never really went away. Still they waited till she was 15 to take them out! I really wish the ENT doctor had taken them out when he put the tubes in her ears and removed her adenoids when she was four! Her cousin had the same surgery a few weeks after my daughter did - she was five and had the same doctor. Only he went ahead and took her tonsils out too. She bounced right back from it, much better than my daughter did at 15!

One good thing about the adenoids - when she had hers out she didn't even seem to notice it! He took them out when he put the tubes in her ears at age four. That same afternoon she was back to playing like normal and didn't seem to be in any pain at all.

K

Kjs

I was 17. I was awake. They did all these bleeding tests and said I bleed to much to put me out.

It was like sitting in a dentists chair. I remember every minute, but won't give you the details.

Mine was out patient. Gave me pain medication for ten days. It was right up to the tenth day until I felt better. At that time I thought it was the most painful thing I ever went through. I can laugh at that now.

easy child had his out and was put in a room, then sent home. (His Dr. didn't believe in giving pain medications to kids. Tylenol only. When I called the next day saying he was throwing up and shaking all over, I was told I was just an over reactive mother) He was 7.

difficult child had his out due to hearing troubles. They kept him overnight. They told me then they are keeping kids overnight in case of complications, and to ease up on the anxiety. He was also 7.

donna723

About the vomiting - this is kind of gross but it's what they told me when my daughter had it. If you have bleeding from the surgery site and the blood goes down in to the stomach, it's GONNA come back up! No two ways about it, it's coming back up! Vomiting right after you've had throat surgery doesn't sound too pleasant to me. But if they do the surgery with lasers now and if that reduces the bleeding, that should prevent or at least minimize the vomiting. I wish they did it that way when Allison had the surgery!

crazymama30

husband hates vomitting, so I am sure vomitting after throat surgery will be horrible. Thanks for your input, now the surgery has been bumped back to the end of October, so I do not feel so rushed.