Uhm.....like am I the only guy here?

Marg's Man

Gday Parker,

Marg's Man here. I've just caught up with this thread.

You obviously asked your questions becasue you wanted to talk about 'male' topics apart from the main topic of this website the Gifts from God that are our children.

To the shame of our sex most men cannot cope with the problems and leave handling them up to their wives or partners. Many simply abandon the family. Most(All?) of the women here are very strong; many are just as keen on cars and sport as most blokes.

Me? I'm an Aussie so to me football is not the game played in body armour that Americans enjoy but is Rugby League where the players LOOK like they wear body armour but don't. There's a story that Tina Turner was out here singing 'Simply the Best' for a promotion of the game. She was taken to the locker after the game to meet some of the players and was amazed when sh realised that what she thought was the padding was ALL them. These guys are built like brick outhouses!

Baseball is meaningless to me, we play cricket here. I've never understand why a game played in only one country can claim the competition is a "World Series".

Cars are to me just a mode of transport. Reliability is more important than performance. With petrol costing about $10 a gallon; fuel economy really DOES matter so we drive economical vehicles. I have just retired a 25 year old Suzuki van with over 500,000 km on the clock. It gave a fantastic fuel consumption. We changed over to a Prius(!) in January which doesn't give much better fuel consumption but is a MUCH more comfortable ride. Marg loves it but still drives our Mitsubishi people mover - we cannot afford to replace it yet even though it too big for our needs these days now our eldest three kids have left home.

So welcome from another bloke but I am afraid I won't give you much of a conversation about your favourite topics. As you have discovered the ladies here will give you that.

Marg's Man

InsaneCdn

Marg's Man... Baseball isn't limited to ONE country... It's big in both Canada and the US... But we are on the same continent...

Haven't seen you around much lately, glad you're still with us!

DammitJanet

I am a huge, huge, huge NASCAR and football fan...probably more fanatic. I was actually counting how many people answered with yes to football because I think there enough of us to do a fantasy team next year! Yippee! All we need is 8.

Down here, your choice of team to pull for in no way lets anyone know where you live..lol. While I do pull for the home team, I am also a fan of the Miami Dolphins and the Texans right now. I have loved the Dolphins since their undefeated season when I was in fifth grade. I will argue anyone down who says they still dont hold that title.

I am also in the camp who isnt a Cowboy fan and I hate hate hate the Phillies because they signed Michael Vick.

As far as NASCAR, I am a Joe Gibbs team fan. I would say I am glad Jimmy Johnson didnt win again this season but I hate the guy who did win more so now I wish Jimmy won. Brad is a jerk.

Yes I am into my racing...lol.

Parker

Hello Marg's Man, nice to meet you. I'm just as hands on with my kids as my wife is....real men don't run when things are ****thank you, good to hear you haven't either. I respect all sports and don't compare them to other sports...apples and oranges, you know. They may have the same name but that is the only thing they share. With regards to the "World Series", the baseball series was once sponsored by The World Weekly News and the name "World Series" just stuck.

katya02

Solace
Hmmmm.....you must be a Roughriders fan.

Lol - I grew up with the Roughriders. Lived all over Ontario during young adulthood and no longer live there, although I miss Muskoka ... haven't been out to Alberta yet but hear it is not to be missed. For now, living expatriate, which is good also. There are good people everywhere. :)

katya02

Solace
With regards to the "World Series", the baseball series was once sponsored by The World Weekly News and the name "World Series" just stuck.

Addendum ... I've never run across this piece of info, but it explains a lot. Everyone I know assumes the 'World Series' is just hubris. This makes MUCH more sense. Thanks!

H

HaoZi

To the shame of our sex most men cannot cope with the problems and leave handling them up to their wives or partners. Many simply abandon the family. Most(All?) of the women here are very strong; many are just as keen on cars and sport as most blokes.

And even those that are supportive are less likely than women to look for a support group like this one and some just aren't online types of guys but more hands-on type of helpers. There are plenty of fathers involved in their kids' education, but even regular PTA groups are still mostly mothers.

P

PatriotsGirl

Janet, I am a huge fantasy football player!!! I have trophies.... :) I have three teams going this year, but it is usually more...

InsaneCdn

And even those that are supportive are less likely than women to look for a support group like this one and some just aren't online types of guys but more hands-on type of helpers. There are plenty of fathers involved in their kids' education, but even regular PTA groups are still mostly mothers.

I keep mine "in reserve". There's no way he can get the time off for ALL the meetings and appointments, so I go. But... if I feel like I'm being fed to the lions, I bring in my "lion tamer"... and yes, he does "shut the mouths of lions".

Parker

Here's Gertie

76192_10151400466912985_1347681540_n.jpg

386531_10151400466752985_1712364597_n.jpg

598387_10151400466327985_530860352_n.jpg

witzend

Marg's Man... Baseball isn't limited to ONE country... It's big in both Canada and the US... But we are on the same continent...

Haven't seen you around much lately, glad you're still with us!

I understand that the Japanese, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and a few others like baseball, too. ;)

Marguerite

husband (Marg's Man) didn't say much about our Prius. It took me a little while to get used to the silence, but we've had some fun moments with it.

1) People who think the Prius is gutless, who discover that it's got AMAAAZING pick-up when you need it. We can tromp the accelerator and sail past on the freeway, then settle back to cruise control.

2) Pulling up at the lights to have it shudder into silence, and see the amazement on the faces beside us. Especially when the lights change and they realise we haven't stalled after all!

3) A couple of social climbing snobs we know (and try to avoid) have been looking down on us because we're poor and they're rich. Then they saw us at the local store one evening. husband pulled away from the kerb on battery only (ie silent moving) and next time I saw this couple, they were gushing over our "new and revolutionary electric car". I felt almost disappointed to tell them it was not full electric, but a hybrid. We've got a second-hand budget version without too many bells and whistles. But yes, it does feel like a 747 cockpit with the computer display...

4) Perhaps the funniest moment - soon after we got the car, we were driving through "the bush" (Aussie forest for the northern hemisphere people) and a flock of cockatoos took off nearby. Some of them knew we were there, but one cockatoo just flapped along lazily, along the road. It didn't know we were there. The Prius is so aerodynamic, the bird didn't even feel the pressure wave. We had to slow down, for a cockatoo! Then the bird glanced over its shoulder and suddenly sheered away, and we could get back up to speed.

Our road to "the mainland" is through bushland for 30 km. No street lights, no traffic lights, lots of winding road with rocks, trees, streams... a beautiful drive but a lonely one. If the road is flooded, we can find ourselves facing an unexpected detour which can leave you running out of fuel. The Starwagon needs a full tank of fuel to get us to Canberra, then another to get around Canberra for a few days, then a third tankful to get home. The Prius will go to Canberra, travel around it then come home, all one one tankful. Love it! I want the techno model that has solar cells on the roof that power the air-con when it's parked in the sun, to stop the car from heating up to lead-melting temperatures in the Aussie summer.

Marg