Update on Difficult Child

tryagain

COM, I've been in something of a time warp for the last half year. I couldn't even get on here bc then I'd have to talk about the nightmare I was dealing with, and it would be too much. I'll probably never be able to talk on here about it.
So imagine my surprise to read of your son's great progress. I'm so very glad.

Copabanana

PASA, I am wondering how you and your son are doing. I do not recall a recent thread. Is no news good news?

I hope you are well. Tell us.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Friends, thanks for asking about Difficult Child. He continues to make progress (as far as I know). I only know what I can see.

He is working a new job as an electrician-in-training for a large construction company. This has been going on for about three weeks. He is making $2 more an hour than at the last job---boat manufacturer---$11 an hour now---but he has to drive 30 minutes to get there. So he has more gas to buy. But that's okay. He's on the career track he wants to be on now. They like him, and have scheduled him to take the OSHA 10 training. They are encouraging him to go back to school for the one-year certificate program he has been planning to go to. He is also still working part-time at the boat manufacturer. He basically works and sleeps and that is good for right now.

I see all of this as a huge step in the right direction.

I talk to him by phone once or twice a week. He is coming over this morning to help us move our stuff from our current storage unit to another one.

He is sweet and kind and says thank you when I talk to him.

My ex-husband (his dad) and I have said we will help him a little bit when he starts school. I don't know how much either of us will help but I am very cognizant of not doing too much. He needs to carry most of the weight, and yes, it will be hard. But I am willing to help a little with rent or gas or something like that for the year that he is in school.

The girlfriend got arrested again about mid-July for her second domestic assault charge involving my son. She is in jail. I am hoping and praying that this is the last time they will be together. She is a very troubled person, bipolar but doesn't take medication, lots of family issues, little to no parenting. She is 20. It's very sad and I feel for her, but I can't save her, and if he keeps on with her, I don't think it will be good for him. However, I do see how the relationship has helped him along the way. I just hope now it's over. There is a restraining order right now. We'll see.

My son doesn't go to AA or anything like that. I will admit that scares me. Can he do it "alone"? I know people do but...

Anyway...again, I didn't cause it, I can't control it and I can't cure it.

I am very grateful today that his life is on a much better track and I pray it continues but I also know that anything can happen. I am working on me and trying to celebrate one day at a time.

in a daze

He is working a new job as an electrician-in-training for a large construction company. This has been going on for about three weeks. He is making $2 more an hour than at the last job---boat manufacturer---$11 an hour now---but he has to drive 30 minutes to get there. So he has more gas to buy. But that's okay. He's on the career track he wants to be on now. They like him, and have scheduled him to take the OSHA 10 training. They are encouraging him to go back to school for the one-year certificate program he has been planning to go to. He is also still working part-time at the boat manufacturer. He basically works and sleeps and that is good for right now.

Awesome!