Update on Larry Bird

M

ML

So Larry is a real trip. He and kitten are great friends and both sit on us (shoulder and lap) contentedly. Having said that we never take our eyes off them.

But the real kick is that Larry (tiel) like to show affection to our hands. I don't know how else to say it delicately. I had no idea!

ML

janebrain

Okay, I thought you had an update on the basketball player so I was a little confused to hear about him being friends with Kitten and sitting on you! At least you woke me up for a minute! :)

susiestar

Roll With It
It isn't as uncommon as you would think to have a cat and bird be friends. Our Freckles, who died 2 years ago, was bff's with Jessie's bird. Freckles would go to sleep pressed against the wire bars of the cage. Goldi, Jessie's bird, would fall asleep right on the other side of the cage, pressed up against the cat!! It was the cutest thing. Goldi mourned the loss of Freckles in a major way. I finally was able to find a family that wanted a bird and had a cat that liked birds the way Freckles did. Their cat was in mourning still for the bird they had lost to old age. We were not the best bird home (I am somewhat afraid of them and husband refused to even try to train it to behave - and it kept biting Tyler and Jessie, though it was Jessie's bird.) and I knew she would be better off in another home. It took over a year of solid looking, but the lady I found checked out with the humane society and animal control, and sent updates and pictures for almost a year.

I have heard of a LOT of cats and birds being friends. Somehow my parents' cats have always left the cardinals alone. They are told that they cannot hunt "red birds", and they don't. Not even their fiercest hunter would go after a cardinal, though they went after other birds, simply because my parents asked them not to. It may sound goofy, but animals understand us FAR better than we understand each other, in my opinion.

I hope you enjoy your bird and cat, and that they enjoy each other!