Update on my Son

LauraH

After getting kicked out of rehab he called me to let me know that he has a job that starts on Tuesday. Not sure exactly what it is, something in a call center. He has to be at work at 8 which means he'll have to get up around 5 or 5:30 since the job is in Chicago and he's in Elgin and has to take a train or bus or whatever. I don't see that lasting for long but I'm not going to even try to cross that bridge until we get to it.

But today we were chatting on Facebook while he was at the library, and at one point he said he had just submitted an online application for a new AT&T call center opening (or recently opened) in Chicago. Within 30 - 45 minutes after submitting the application, he was invited to do step two, which I have no idea what that entailed. Not long after that he got an invite for step three, a video interview. He said he's doing that tomorrow.

So at least for now things are looking up, jobwise anyway. Another little ray of sunshine and praying it will keep shining for the foreseeable future.

Origami

That's great news! I know any ray of hope is a good one. My son, who is still in rehab, supposedly is in a job program in Chicago but hasn't actually started working yet. He seems to be better at getting jobs than keeping them. Anyway, I'll join you in hoping our sons will be doing better with this.

LauraH

That's great news! I know any ray of hope is a good one. My son, who is still in rehab, supposedly is in a job program in Chicago but hasn't actually started working yet. He seems to be better at getting jobs than keeping them. Anyway, I'll join you in hoping our sons will be doing better with this.

Could you post or PM info about the program in Chicago? I don't know if my son would be interested or eligible but would like to pass the info to him at least.

LauraH

Well the job fell through, I'm not sure why. As far as I know he's still pursuing the AT&T call center job. And possibly a flight attendant position with a major airline. But he was going to do the video interview portion of the AT&T app today and didn't, say he hadn't been feeling well. So who knows where this will lead.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't know about AT&T, but as a former call center mgr, I can say that that's a VERY high-stress job with rigid performance requirements. Flight attendent positions usually have pretty tough requirements regarding past drug use. I wish him luck, but he may need to set his sights a bit lower to start out with.

BusynMember

I am sure flight attendants are drug tested. Doubt even pot is tolerated. I do t think that can ever happen.

Many jobs drug test.

Last edited:

LauraH

Hi Laura,
I sent you a message about the rehab center.
Got it, thanks. He said he's been talking to them and I think he said he's on a waiting list. He said he's on several waiting lists, actually, and will probably take the first one that has an available bed.

I'm always hopeful but always skeptical that he's using rehab facilities as a way to avoid being homeless. Only he knows what's really in his heart and mind. But in my opinion if he's going to rehab for any other reason than to get clean it won't work. I hope I'm wrong.