Update

Feeling Sad

Pasa, his youth IS on his side. I have worked with students with brain damage, brain tumors, and seizures. I myself recovered from brain surgery. You are a retired special education teacher. You have witnessed improvements in students first-hand.

There is a good liklihood that he will regain some, most, or all of his abilities. It depends on the area of the brain that was damaged and, of course, the extent. You know this. But the waiting is unbearable.

Other parts of the brain can take over for the damaged area.

I had issues after my brain surgery, but I have recovered very well. Lights bothered me. I felt like I was on a roller coaster when I was riding in cars as a passenger. I would literally scream with fear and freak my sons out. I would lose feeling on my right side. Now, I am fine and I am much, much older than your son.

My brother had a cardiac arrest and was 'dead' for a while. He had brain damage. He was talking like he was a child. He was seeing things that weren't there. He was confused where he was. He had zero short term memory. I would tell him what had happened and where he was. I waited for 2 minutes and he would forget again. Today, he is back to the way that he was before his cardiac arrest.

My father had 3 strokes. He forgot who I was, how to use the VCR, who the president was, and the month. It all came back and he was in his 80's.

But, your son is young. With immediate physical and occupational therapy, new interconnections can be made.

They had me return to teaching just 4 weeks after my craniotomy. It helped my brain heal. I had a large gap in my brain, about the size of a cherry tomato, after they removed my tumor. It showed up as a dark area on the MRI. Just 2 years later, the neurologist said that it looks 'normal' again and has 'filled' in. He can just see my titanium plate.

Yes, the waiting is horrible. But, he has his youth on his side. He also has you. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

pasajes4

I want to thank everyone for their prayers. Yes, it is my youngest. He is about to turn 19. He is at Baylor Medical about 2 1/2 hours away. I am doing a daily commute. I have dr. visits here in preparation for surgery for myself. I am totally overwhelmed. The minister at his hospital was very comforting yesterday. He said he would sit with him for awhile each day.

Scent of Cedar *

Holding this special son in my prayers, Pasa. I remember that he is so tall that he needs his shoes specially made. And how frustrated with him we all were when he disappeared and then, turned out to be just fine and living elsewhere without even saying so to his own mother. Oh, we were so upset with him then! But so grateful that he was fine after all, and doing so well.

Prayers for him, and for you, Pasa.

Cedar

AppleCori

Pasa,

I am so sorry.

I am praying for a full and speedy recovery.

Is this related to the problem he had when he was brought in a week or so ago?

Apple

Kalahou

Pasa dear,
I am following along also. Thoughts and prayers are with you. This is surely a challenging time for you to be present with this new thing that happened to your son. Just know that you are going to be alright. Bless. ~ K

Copabanana

Other parts of the brain can take over for the damaged area.
I found this post by Feeling remarkably reassuring. I did know that right after a stroke/accident the brain is in shock. And I knew vaguely about the brain regenerating and other parts taking over. But reading all of it together, felt so hopeful.

I will hope and pray that he regains every function.

COPA

Childofmine

one day at a time
Pas, please know we are all here for you whenever you need us, and praying and hoping both you and he get stronger every day.

Warm hugs. Much love coming your way.

nlj

I'm so sorry Pas. I've only just seen this thread. Sending all good thoughts your way. Will be thinking of you. Please keep us updated if you feel able to.

Love x

pasajes4

I want to thank everyone for their kind words. You have no idea how much it means to have friends become who understand the the struggle.

I am able to show my son the love I have for him in a way that I can't when he is the obnoxious, drugged out, bipolar mood swinging pain in the backside. You are the only people I know who will get that.

Nancy

I am so sorry and I'm sending good thoughts that he recovers quickly and completely. And I get that you can now show him the love you have always had for him that was covered by his other issues.

JMom

Pasa, I'm praying hard for you and your baby. I know you must feel so small right now. You are strong and are there. You are by his side and that is something special. Please keep us updated. We love you and will keep praying.

pasajes4

He is medically stable. They will move him to a Warm Springs Rehab center tomorrow. He has a chance to turn things around in his life. It is up to him and him alone. I will offer moral support, but I will remain realistic as to what I can do for him after he completes physical rehab.