Vegan yogurt?

Lil

I've seen it in the "health food" section of my local Gerbes store (which are Dillons or Kroger stores in other states). I assume it's made like almond milk or something. In fact, I'm pretty sure I tried Silk brand yogurt (Gerbes has a "free Friday" coupon) though it might have been another brand, and it was good, but nothing I'd pay extra for since I don't have a problem with dairy.

AppleCori

I have tried to find a "real" vegan yogurt, without success, in my area. I think, I need to go out a little farther, to a bigger area, to find one.

I would like to limit my intake of dairy, not because I have any problems with it, but because of the antibiotics, etc. I love dairy, and consume way too much! I use Almond or Cashew milk now, but haven't found a substitute for yogurt or cheese!

I found a vegan site that lists these:

Kite-Hill plant- based yogurt
Daiya Greek yogurt
Nancy's cultured Soy yogurt
So Delicious Dairy-free Cultured yogurt
Stonyfield O'Soy yogurt
Almond Dream non-dairy yogurt
Amande Cultured Almond yogurt
Yoconut Dairy-Free
Coconut Grove yogurt
Trader Joe's Soy yogurt

None of these are sold in my area.

Let us know if you find one, and how it tastes!

Apple

BusynMember

Thank you. I wonder if myseLf good store would order for me.

I am trying not to eat anything animal based plus plant base eating is healthier. I love animals. Surprised so haven't thought of not eating meat years ago.

Lil

I found a vegan site that lists these:

I wonder what is in Silk that keeps it off that list?

Update: Bothered me enough I looked it up. Silk's website says:

Our almondmilk, soymilk, coconutmilk, cashewmilk, blends and creamer products are completely vegan! There are no animal products, by-products or derivatives in these products, and the calcium we use in these products is derived from natural limestone. All other vitamins and live cultures used to fortify these products are vegetable-based.

We are currently unable to label our Dairy-Free Yogurt Alternative products as vegan due to the complex journey that some of our ingredients take on their way from the farm to the store shelf.

I have no idea what that means. Hmm.

Last edited:

AppleCori

I wonder what is in Silk that keeps it off that list?

Update: Bothered me enough I looked it up. Silk's website says:

I have no idea what that means. Hmm.

I don't quite understand what this means, but the label of ingredients on my Silk Almond Milk and Cashew Milk both say "skim dairy milk".

Lil

I don't quite understand what this means, but the label of ingredients on my Silk Almond Milk and Cashew Milk both say "skim dairy milk".

The physical label in the fridge? Because their website ingredient list sure doesn't.

The cashew says: INGREDIENTS: Cashewmilk (Filtered Water, Cashews), Cane Sugar, Contains 2% or less of: Almond Butter, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid.

The almond says: INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Contains 2% or less of: Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

Ohhhhh!!!!! At the bottom...in teeny tiny letters...it says:

"We work hard to keep the information on this website up-to-date, but please check the label on your product for the most current ingredient statement."

Wow! That's ridiculous and absolutely misleading to sell nut milk with dairy in it, especially when their FAQ section says it's Vegan. I see a lawsuit coming.

Last edited:

AppleCori

The physical label in the fridge? Because their website ingredient list sure doesn't.

The cashew says: INGREDIENTS: Cashewmilk (Filtered Water, Cashews), Cane Sugar, Contains 2% or less of: Almond Butter, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid.

The almond says: INGREDIENTS: Almondmilk (Filtered Water, Almonds), Contains 2% or less of: Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum.

Ohhhhh!!!!! At the bottom...in teeny tiny letters...it says:

"We work hard to keep the information on this website up-to-date, but please check the label on your product for the most current ingredient statement."

Wow! That's ridiculous and absolutely misleading to sell nut milk with dairy in it, especially when their FAQ section says it's Vegan. I see a lawsuit coming.

I have both the sweetened and the unsweetened here, and they both say dairy milk.

Lil

I'm absolutely shocked. You know that lots of things aren't what they claim...but when people depend on something as a dairy alternative and they sell it as a nut milk...for it to be dairy??? Wow.

I've never, ever read the ingredient list on the carton because the website says it's vegan!

AppleCori

I'm absolutely shocked. You know that lots of things aren't what they claim...but when people depend on something as a dairy alternative and they sell it as a nut milk...for it to be dairy??? Wow.

I've never, ever read the ingredient list on the carton because the website says it's vegan!

I didn't read the label before, either, but I did read on the vegan website the part about 'can't guarantee the Silk yogurt is vegan'. I didn't connect that to the Milk, but the packaging doesn't actually say vegan, now that I look at it closely. Then I actually read the ingredients.

I chose Silk brand because it has the least amount of fat than any of the other brands in my local grocery. I was looking at the labels for fat and sugar content, didn't even consider that it would have dairy milk in it!

I am confused, because at the top of the package, it has "dairy and lactose free", yet in the ingredient list, it has "skim dairy milk". Really confusing. Is there a way it could be dairy-free, while having skim dairy milk as an ingredient?

AppleCori

Ok, I put on my glasses, and I think I just made a big mistake!

I was looking at the wrong part of the label!

I think it is comparing the calcium content to regular dairy milk.

So sorry!

Lil

Ok, I put on my glasses, and I think I just made a big mistake!

I was looking at the wrong part of the label!

I think it is comparing the calcium content to regular dairy milk.

So sorry!

Oh I'm so glad! LOL

I was going to run home and read the label. I don't have a problem with dairy. In fact, I fully embrace my omnivore nature :p but I do have a big problem with companies that lie about their products, especially when they're being touted as healthy.