What book are you reading?

BusynMember

I just finished "The Fifth Vial" by Michael Palmer, which is a medical thriller. If you want a GREAT, FAST read with a surprise ending, this one's for you.
What are YOU reading? I need some suggestions...:)

Lothlorien

I am listening to an audiobook. It's the third in the Bartemeus series. It's a young adult book, but it's quite amusing and funny. When I'm finished with it, I'm going to start The Highlander.

trinityroyal

I just started The Virgin in the Ice by Ellis Peters. It's #5 (6?) in the Brother Cadfael mysteries. Long treasured, I've read it before. My collection of Cadfael books was lost many years ago and they're all out of print now. husband spent months combing second hand stores and eBay, and assembled a complete set for me at Christmas (the darling man), so I am reading and savouring them. He's never read them, so he's reading them in order.

We got so many books at Christmas that I"m spoiled for choice right now.

Penta

Water for Elephants...mesmerizing! My dyslexic girl is reading it too and says it is one of 2 novels she has ever read all the way through.

muttmeister

The weather here has been so rotten that I'm on my 24th book for the month. One of them was A Thousand Spendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (the guy who wrote Kite Runner). It was sort of depressing but very good.
I also read the last 4 books in The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun. I definitely did not like the last one. The author is 94 years old and I'm wondering if that will be the last one in the series.
I'm a great Hamish MacBeth fan and I read the latest one of those plus an Amanda Raisin book by the same author. I wasn't as impressed by Amanda Raisin.
I'm working down the list of 100 greatest modern novels that Time Magazine put out a couple of years ago and I just finished Naked Lunch by William Burroughs. Weird. It was not my thing.
I've read a couple of William Faulkner books this month and I finally got around to Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. I had seen the movie but the book was wonderful.
Tonight I will read Creature Discomforts by Susan Conant. I love her books because the detective's dogs help her solve the mysteries.
I've also been reading the spring garden catalogs hoping for spring!!!

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm reading Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich. It's a between the numbers light reading.
I just finished listening to Full House by Janet Evanovich on the drive down and have started Running With Scissors.

LittleDudesMom

I loved Running with Scissors - the movie did not do the book justice!

I'm actually reading three books right now! I usually work on a couple at a time depending on what mood I'm in when I have time to pick up a book. I'm reading "Strong at the Broken Places", by Richard Cohen, "Love in the Time of Cholera", by Gabriel Garcia, and "Delta of Venus" (a womans erotica book that was recommended by a friend and it's pretty graphic and I just started!), by Anais Nin.

Sharon

mstang67chic

Going Green
I just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. It's a very good read and has a twist at the end that I didn't expect. (probably should have) It's about a 13 year old girl, Anna, and her family during a time that Anna sues her parents for medical emancipation. Anna was genetically engineered and conceived to be a perfect genetic match for her sister Kate, who has Leukemia.

everywoman

I'm reading The Serpent Seed. It's written by a local man who used to be circuit court judge and my family attorney. He sent a signed copy home with husband. It is okay---but so far very typical---almost formulaic in tone. We'll see.

Jena

hi,

ok i never knew this part of the board existed.......lol i just shrunk my screen and saw it....how funny am i??

anyway i'm reading and have read books by the author Sophie Kinsella. Their quite funny shes' very real, some of the stories you can def. relate to. I read a book every few days now.

jen

busywend

The Fundamentals of Business Statistics

and

Financial Investigation and Business Accounting

Man! What a life I lead! I bet you are all jealous!
:student:

Right this minute I am re-reading Whirlwind, by James Clavell. (About Iran.)

I just finished Bay Buchannan's book on Hilary ~ what an incredible read that was.

I also just did one on Cheney called "Cheney" but I cannot remember the author's name. That one was all right.

And I read two books about chefs. I don't know why, really! There they were, so I picked them up and enjoyed both immensely. :)

The Devil in the Kitchen, and Out of the Frying Pan.

They were fascinating books, really ~ and so different from the things I usually read!

I had picked up that new one about Einstein's politics but had to return it before I got a good handle on anything and will have to read that one again.

Muttmeister, have you read Taylor Caldwell and Susan Howatch yet?

I think you will enjoy both writers very much.

Barbara

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
My Sisters Keeper was great!!!
I am reading
Crazy by Pete Earley
"A father's search through America's mental health madness"
It is incredible, I would highly recommend this book, as a must have if you have a child in the system, in jail, if you have a child with mental illness, are involved with special needs. Think your child could ever end up in an institution or jail.
It is scary, covers a lot of history and tells his story about why he felt and needed to tell this story. His son is mentally ill. He spends a great deal of time researching for this book. I have had to put it down a few times, out of disgust it has brought me to tears. But I have learned so much.

muttmeister

Scent of Cedar: I haven't read Susan Howatch but I did read some Taylor Caldwell last year. I enjoyed Dear and Glorious Physician and Grandmother and the Priests but I wasn't thrilled with Tender Victory. I guess I should go back and try some more,
I read James Clavell's The Whirlwind sometime last year. That was a good one. I really enjoyed his Hong Kong books although I think maybe the first (Tai-Pan, I think) was the best.

happymomof2

I am reading Black Notice by Patricia Cornwell. It's kinda gruesome though. I usually only get to read before I go to sleep at night. That is why it takes me so long to finish a book!! Some nights it's a chapter before I zonk sometimes just a page.

Our library has a cool section. They have paperbacks that you do not have to check out they are on an honor system. You just take them back when you are done.

My favorite author is Mary Higgins Clark. I know I haven't read all her books but quite a few. Her daughter writes as well but I have not read any of hers yet.