What is the sense?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Just filled out another job application -

And another CREDIT application for the job?

I don't understand why. Anyone care to shed light on this.

DammitJanet

I dont have a clue either. Im not wanting to borrow money from a job...lol. I can understand maybe in certain very unique positions that deal with finances such a stock brokers or bankers or even credit managers that credit ratings might be important but working for normal places like Walmart or a normal company? Nah.

H

HaoZi

A lot of places do it for a lot of reasons: to see how responsible you've been, if you're in serious debt and therefore a potential risk, etc. Just got in this month's Reader's Digest and one article in there is 50 Secrets Your HR Person Won't Tell You, and one of them is "Yes, we look at your credit as part of a background check. And if you've got bankruptcy or if your credit score is below 650, you'll have a hard time getting a job. [But] background checks are expensive. Sometimes we bluff, get you to fill out the form, and don't even run it. "

DammitJanet

Good lord...if I had to have a credit rating above 650 to get a job...I dont think I would ever work! Not that I even know my score but I am pretty sure that for most of my life my score hasnt been very good. I never used credit and what little I do know about it is that if you pay your bills late...such as paying a power bill late, it goes against you...so Im pretty sure mine is not good.

H

HaoZi

Yeah, I know mine is terrible. It's more of an issue in highly responsible positions (think middle management and higher) or jobs dealing with high money flow, confidential information, pharmaceuticals, etc.

donna723

I can understand this for certain positions, and when the economy was better. But in times like this, so many good, responsible people have been out of work through no fault of their own and have gotten behind in their bills! If you were one of those who ran up a lot of bills for silly, frivilous things and then didn't pay them, that would be one thing. But when someone lost their job and had trouble paying for the basics, it shouldn't go against them when they apply for a job. If they do this, then the people who need a job the most won't be able to get one.

Along those same lines, what the &$%# does your credit rating have to do with your car insurance rates? I have driven for FIFTY ONE YEARS and have never had an accident, never even got a traffic ticket! Yet I pay more for my car insurance than I should have to because my credit rating, while better than it used to be, isn't all that great!

klmno

Isn't it a catch 22? I mean if they bothered to look in detail and it shows that you pay your bills when your employed and had good credit until the economy bombed and you ended up unemployed, wouldn't that be a person you'd want to help instead of refuse to hire??

I feel your pain though- I felt that way for months and have a feeling I'm headed straight back to it.

I just am more concerned about what I believe in than CYAing myself and never learned that lesson my step-father tried to teach me- that it can be taken too far and get to a point where I am just digging myself in deeper. LOL! And my son is the same way. Lord help him.

I'll keep fingers crossed for you, Star. I was thinking business is picking up a little, although still growing at a snail's pace.

KTMom91

I imagine they want the option to run a credit report for people who may be dealing with large amounts of money, or someone applying for a management position where they would have control over deposits and/or inventory. People can be very creative in their theft.

Steely

Don't even get me started on this. Both my old boss and me were terrified we would not get a job with this certain retail company because our credit stinks so bad. Oddly they offered us both jobs even though they mention that they may run a credit check. My guess is that they bluff a lot.
The concept makes me furious!!! My personal life should be no ones business!!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Here's one for HaoZi's kiddo:

bureaucracy 1818, from Fr. bureaucratie, from bureau "office," lit. "desk" (see bureau) + Gk. suffix -kratia denoting "power of;" coined by Fr. economist Jean Claude Marie Vincent de Gournay (1712-1759) on model of democratie, aristocratie.
That vast net-work of administrative tyranny ... that system of bureaucracy, which leaves no free agent in all France, except for the man at Paris who pulls the wires. [J.S. Mill, "Westminster Review" XXVIII, 1837]​
"leaves no free agent!!!!"​

K

Kjs

One job I interviewed for I told them we hit some hard times and had some credit/bankrupcy problems. I asked if it would affect the job position. I was told, "No, not the position I was applying for". I was told if it was a position that dealt with money or accounting, then yes that would be a factor.

It just doesn't make sense. You need a job to pay your bills, but you can't
get a job because you were late paying your bills. Just doesn't make sense.

Good Luck.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - this was for driving a garbage truck......(go ahead - I'm laughing too) - what are they afraid I'm going to take? I just sat there looking at that thinking - Um........Okay - I found OUT about the job when I came in to pay my bill - (late) because I forgot to pay my bill when they didn't pick up my trash last week. (ROFLMA) Sign on door said "Hiring 9 drivers must have CDL" sign on door said nothing about - MUST HAVE GOOD CREDIT.

I filled it out anyway, thinking to myself - you numnertz - if I've been out of a job for about a year doesn't it occur to you that my credit may have GONE in the 'garbage'? ----And now they have all my information anyway - but also have my permission to run a credit application. I'm not very comfortable with that, and if I'm not hired? I'm asking for the application back. I don't like information like that floating around. I've had my identity stolen once -but how do you get that across in a pre-hire without sounding hinkey.

klmno

That's probably why they have 9 openings. When people comment about there being job ads all over the place and there being no excuse for a person being unemployed a long period of time, it's things like wanting "perfect" applicants that make this happen- it isn't that people aren't trying to find a job. I'm just mentioning that because I heard comments and felt I must not be trying hard enough the entire time I was unemployed.

H

HaoZi

It's an employer's economy right now. So many people out of work and desperate for anything they can bide their time to find the best person who will take the lowest pay in most industries. Not going to see many companies using incentives and high pay grades to bring in bodies.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When I first started working here in April 2003, I had to fill out paperwork for a Secret clearance. The Security Manager told me that my bankruptcy (in 1997) might be an issue... But we would see what we would see. (That, and she got very upset because I did not have a current address for my XH. I figured, he was USAF - if the government couldn't find him, why would they think I could?!)

So nothing ever came of it, still working here, found out in late 2009 that I never got a clearance - the SM never turned in my paperwork. So at the time, I no longer needed a Secret, only a Network Access. Came through fine.

Then last summer it ended up needing to be a Secret after all. Again, came through fine... But the bankruptcy was 13 years old, and my credit had rebounded nicely.

Funny thing though... husband had a clearance, and even though he had HORRIBLE credit, that wasn't what stopped him from never getting a call back after the interview. It was all the false allegations made against him by BM. When the court ordered those closed and sealed, it was no longer an issue.

As far as driving a garbage truck... What more perfect way to scope out what people have just bought, see trashed credit card offers, etc.? Chase bank wants me BAD - if I didn't shred all the offers, I can imagine someone could have a FIELD DAY!

4timmy

I'm wondering if this isn't something that employers have just started to do in recent times. My husband has applied for CDL positions and they've never mentioned a credit check.... but then I wonder if it isn't in some fine print somewhere during the application process and they just never tell you.

P

PatriotsGirl

I have AWFUL credit and have definitely had credit checks done to get jobs and somehow I still got the job! LOL

But, I work in the Accounting field as a Senior Analyst. I would expect it...

Star*

call 911........call 911
well when I was applying for positions as a Sr. Level Administrative Executive Assistant? I could see it - But never had one of those at that time - NOW I'm applying for CDL positions and I get this....I'm just rolling along and have filled them out, but I swear I think for the jobs I'm NOT going to get hired for? I'm going to go back and ask for the credit apps returned. These places mostly just toss them in the trash and THAT information just gets out there and I've already had my credit info. stolen once THAT is my point in all of this.