What should I do or expect now?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by Chaosuncontained, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. Chaosuncontained

    Chaosuncontained New Member

    Today the county Special Education Diagnostician called me and had me pick up paperwork to have the doctor fill out (OHI).

    So, now I know they are finished with their testing. Now I wait and see the results. But what if they say no? I think they will say yes, but maybe only for his ADHD (which I think is NOT his real problem or ONLY problem).

    So, if they say no? What do I do? If they say yes...and he gets into see a Psycologist that we hire--and he/she finds something else--can we get it revised?

    What should I ask for if it's ADHD only? I know he should have more time to finish work, maybe bring it home to finish? Shorter tests/work? I am so confused. And worried (small, nervous lol).
  2. buddy

    buddy New Member

    ADHD isn't a category in and of itself anyway, as you said it would be OHI, and no matter the disability areas, the category simply makes them eligible for an IEP. You then start the process by listing strengths and weaknesses, mostly you list AREAS of need.... then you figure out how to address those areas to help difficult child catch up to developmentally appropriate norms. (most IEP's state a plop or plep=present level of performance for each goal area, then a goal is written, then objectives for reaching that goal). In addition to goals the level of service (mostly mainstream, resource room for a certain % of time, mostly resource room, separate sp. ed. room, separate sp ed building....a decision that is based on his needs and the least restrictive setting to meet those needs) is decided. Related services will be decided, such as Occupational Therapist (OT), Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), etc. You also need to decide if bussing is needed, will his disabiity affect his ability to be on a typical bus?? If his program is not in the neighborhood school then he may need a sp ed bus to take him to another school anyway (my son went to a typical elem. school for example, but there was no CIP program in the neighborhood elementary so he went to one a few blocks east of it, just a different boundary but same kind of school). You will also need to think of adaptations and accomodations for him.... does he need sensory help like using a weighted vest, using a ball for a chair to help with movement/wiggliness , special pencil adaptors, visual cues to do things, help organizing his work every morning and night, a scribe to write things for him in certain settings (as he gets older they might need a note taker which can just be having copies of anotehr students notes so he can concentrate on the teacher) so many different ideas and they must consider adaptive/assistive technology.
    Behavior goals should be IEP goals. Dont let them skip this (usually under social/emotional/behavioral section). Then if he needs a specific behavior plan to address behavioral procedures, that is added through a positive behavior plan. Goals keep track of data and helps with accountability for gaining skils not just managing his behaviors. The pbip allows for appropriate management of behaviors/methods for teaching those skills and also for how to handle if he needs management for meltdowns, refusals, and other behavior that interferes with his or other students learning.

    If they say no/doesn't qualify, you can ask for an independent evaluation at their expense. You will likely get a list of providers. Around here it is usually university and other well known providers so they dont have a conflict of interest. I can imagine that varies in other places, especially smaller communities, but they are supposed to be unbiased of course. I know a mom here who went thru that and the independent evaluator thougth the SD was off their rocker and the kiddo got tons of services in the end.

    Nice thing about OHI and adhd is it is so broad that it is associated with lots of related providers including Occupational Therapist (OT), Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), psychiatric, counselor, social worker, dape etc...whatever meets the needs of your child. Given the behavior issues it is likely he will have someone like a licensed EBD teacher (emotional and behavior disorders). They often are very good advocates for kids in mainstream settings as well as being good direct teachers. (again everything depends on the individual community and teacher).

    I am excited it is completed and anxious to hear how it comes out. You are so many steps ahead of other parents, you will do well I am sure.
  3. TeDo

    TeDo Guest

    Buddy put it all in there so I really can't add anything. I would start making a list now of things that might help him in school. Write down anything and everything that you think might help including ways you handle behaviors that DO work.

    If they refuse an IEP, make sure they put in writing what specifically makes him ineligible for one. Then go out and get an independent evaluation in those areas you disagree with.

    Yes, the IEP can be revised ANY time you or they see something isn't right or isn't working. Don't worry about that.