Whatcha all cooking in this heat?

Mattsmom277

We've been doing a lot of meals on the bbq (thanks to all for the hints on ideas for bbq'ing!). Tonight we made chicken fajita wraps from boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips and seasoned. The other day I pulled out the crock pot to make roast beef, which we used for hot beef sandwiches.

Wondering what you all are cooking that isn't heating your houses up, aside from traditional outdoor cooking on a grill. In other words, give me indoor non heat provoking cooking ideas purdy please! I can't manage somehow to make heavy crock pot dinners, since they feel wintery and I love the lightness of summer meals during hot spells.

H

HaoZi

We're having a lot of cereal lately. I do recall my Dad making a fair amount of pasta salads in the summer. Don't forget some ambrosia, fruit salad, jello...

klmno

I'm not sure I can help you much. I'm having left-over delivered Chinese food tonight but I cooked BBQ pork ribs on the grill tonight so I can fix some potatos and salad to go with them and eat that as a meal the next couple of nights. Next will be grilled chicken, asparagus with cheese fondue, etc. I minimize the time the stove is on in the summer.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Tuna salad sandwiches is good when it's hot. I just saw tuna on sale this week. Yay.

We used to eat a lot of egg salad sandwiches too.

These together with cole slaw and potato salad were frequent meals during hot summer days because it was still nutritious but all served ice cold.

Jello with fruit or orange jello with grated carrots. Lots of watermelon.

BLT's are good cuz you can do the bacon in the microwave instead of the skillet if you want. (ok.....now I'm gonna look see if bacon is on sale somewhere lol)

Salads. We'd really load up salads in a big way with all our fav fresh veggies, plus boiled eggs, and cheeses. Done that way it's basically a whole meal in a single bowl.

Tonight later I'm having peaches n cream. YUM!

klmno

I guess my answer to the question of how to eat during hot weather without heating up the kitchen and not counting the grill- order a pizza or something and fix a salad to go with it.

DammitJanet

Order out...lol.

You can grill a pizza.

I like pasta salads..I make one really simple one with just macaroni, tuna and raisins and mayo. Thats it.

I also take that Suddenly Salad or the store brand one...and add fake crabmeat, cucumbers, grape tomatoes and mayo and that is a meal.

Sandwiches and chips. Hotdogs and mac and cheese.

keista

In our house it's lots of salads microwaveable food and clod beet soup! Mmmmmmmmmm just remembered my Aunt's marinated cabbage recipe. It's like coleslaw but with an oil and vinegar dressing instead of mayo - has a much 'lighter' taste to it.

husband has been working late all weekend so it's every man for himself! Someone's eating hoagies, someone is eating microwaved mac and cheese, I cut up a watermelon and filled my fridge with baggies of that...everyone can take that to work. Microwaved baked potatoes are good...after I microwave one I put some tomato sauce and a slice of cheese on top and micowave it for 1 minute more, I add red pepper flakes and it's my pizza! Also I boiled 2 pounds of shrimp earlier, I got a 2 lb bag for $3. It was on sale for 12.99, then I had 2 different $5 coupons for it, and they both worked. Tomorrow will be a shrimp ceasar salad for dinner.

crazymama30

Wee stock with the bbq. Tonight out will be leftover pizza and chicken strips. Tomorrow I have some trout I might try on the bbq......any ideas as to how to cook whole trout on the grill?

tiredmommy

Skillet Squash Medley

1 lg yellow squash
1 lg zucchini
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

Slice yellow squash & zucchini into 1/4 inch thick diagonal slices. Place olive oil in skillet over medium high heat. add yellow squash, zucchini & lemon peel; stir fry until just tender-crisp. Toss with lemon juice, salt & pepper. Serve immediately.

Now, instead of tossing out the left over lemon: cut it in half and put it in a pitcher of cold water. Add other fruit such as oranges, limes, strawberries, pineapple or mango. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. strain the fruit out and enjoy a refreshing glass of fruity water.

witzend

Lots of BBQ. But that's because it's cheap and easy, not because it's hot. It's not hot. I've been making a nice cold salad a couple of times a week to eat with whatever meat or burgers or whatever, and I've been putting tater tots in a pan on the grill. I spice them up with a bit of cajun spice, and oooh yum!