When it rains, it pours...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
With all this new found free time on his hands, husband wanted to take the kids on a little overnight fishing/camping trip at a local reservoir yesterday. They were going to leave around 4pm. I had an event to go to from 4-6, so I was going to meet them later.

We both got in the cars and prepared to leave. husband's car would not start. Just a clickety-clickety-clickety-clickety. Great. The car is fully loaded with camping and fishing gear, with firewood piled under a tarp on top of the car!

We tried to jump start the car, but I told husband I thought it was the starter or something like that, because if it were the battery, we wouldn't be hearing that sound. Sure enough, our attempt at jumping the car was pointless.

The kids were understandably miffed, but they eventually accepted it. This happened to us about two years ago when we had the van loaded and ready to head out on a long roadtrip for a week's vacation.

(Sigh).

So this morning while husband is at his old office cleaning out his cubicle, I'm calling around for repair quotes, and then we'll have to call AAA for a tow. If it's just the starter, it's probably going to run us about $250. I just hope it's not anything more on top of that. :(

Mattsmom277

It certainly does seem things like this happen at the absolute worst of times. I hope its just the starter , although even $250 and a tow fee is alot at layoff time (My fiance is laid off too, since Feb. so feel your pain! He's joining the military not because he wants to, but because its about the only way to get job security, his trade is so affected in this economy). Hope that some bright light shines on you soon, something fun and nice and out of the blue!

Andy

Oh how frustrating! We have a family trip coming in two weeks and the "Maint Req" light is coming on in the van! So, I say to husband, "husband, the maint req light has flashed a few times. The van is overdue for an oil change. Do you think that could be it?" "No, I will look at the van."

So, today, "husband, the light came on again this afternoon. The van is overdue about 2,000 miles for an oil change which I will get done in Fargo on Wednesday after difficult child's therapist app." "What? The van is overdue for an oil change? That could be why the light is flashing once in a while as a warning." Isn't that what I suggested yesterday?

I hope it is just an oil change that is needed. We just had a very expensive after hours plumbing job done yesterday.

difficult child wants a helicopter ride today and is begging husband to pay for it. I think it will be $35.00.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Turns out it WAS the battery. So not $250, but $100. Oh well. We are fishing at the reservoir now and camping overnight. I hope the kids behave. Everyone was so uptight just getting the gear set up...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ack!...on many levels. Car problems, fishing, Fargo, to name a few. ;)

I know I had to replace my battery twice a year living in Vegas. The heat just zapped them quite easily. Now I have no car so it's not a problem!!

Abbey

crazymama30

Hugs. We leave to go camping tommorrow, and I hope it goes without a hitch. The kids are so excited.

Hope your adventrure went well.

M

ML

I was so happy to read the upate to this! I hope the rocky beginning to your trip transitioned into a wonderful time.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's just a one-night thing. Discovered we were missing 2 of the 5 tent poles (difficult child 1 broke one), one of the 4 air mattresses had a leak and the cap for another didn't seal... a strange sqwaking bird "serenaded" us from 3 to 5am... then there was the steady growl of cars on the freeway that this reservoir is next to... the spiders that sat precariously close to my head as I attempted to squat in my most lady-like manner in the port-a-potty... the constant bickering between the kids...

But on a positive note: husband gave me his working air mattress at 3am (you don't really realize how much your back hurts sleeping on a rock until you get to move to a comfy air mattress)... difficult child 1 caught the one and only fish (a catfish, which we threw back)... there is a Starbucks on the other side of the lake, and husband was sweet to hop the fence to get coffee for me... we had a nice cozy fire from all the wood husband harvested after the wildfire... the weather was balmy and the wind was enough to keep bugs away... easy child got to play with the animals in the "petting zoo" (this the place where we got Herbert)... and this place is only minutes from home so I'm not long away from a nice warm shower, my toothbrush and some clean clothes. :bigsmile:

Andy

I am very proud of you. If I was minutes away from my bed, I would have been there at about 10:30/11:00 with a note to husband that I will return with the coffee and breakfast in the morning.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad it ended up being fairlly minor. :D ANd that you got to enjoy camping.

Around here right now it's camping at your own risk. I'm beginning to think I need an ark.

DammitJanet

Oh you are a better woman than I! I only camp at the motel 6. Now I am perfectly happy to wave good-bye to the menfolk as they drive away to do their macho camping but I just am not cut out of that woodsy cloth. My guys used to love to go camping. Cory and Tony still do.

It is hilarious, you cant get Jamie to go camping anymore for all the tea in china. He says after having to do it for a living, they took all the fun out of it...lmao. Now he is like me, if he doesnt have a roof, a bed and a bathroom...he isnt going! Oh...and electricity too.

donna723

The only (and last!) time I went camping, my son was 18 months old ... he is now 28, if that tells you anything! I HATED it! brother in law had picked out campsites right next to a big lake ... I was awake all night with visions of my toddler son wandering out of the tent and into the lake! It rained most of the night, the wind almost blew the tents down, everything we had got soaking wet. Absolutely miserable! And people do that for 'fun'? No thank you! I want a roof over my head and a hot shower and a soft bed and lights that come on when I flip the switch! And cable TV!

Star*

call 911........call 911
You are BRAVE porta potty woman - not just for spiders within heads reach - but as I remember the last time you went camping you brought back a SHErbert.

This time - just a great load of memories for when everyone is older.

And that pirate hopping the fence to go to Starbucks for you - AARRRRRRrrrghhhhhhh tis a fine lad that would fetch coffee and brave spiders, and trout for his lady. ARgggggg.

(yeah it was really hot here yesterday how did YOU know?) :tongue:

lovemysons

Glad you survived the camping trip.
I for one am not into anymore.
Had 2 camping trips that both ended in disaster.
One of em we were stuck in a ditch for 19 hrs before help arrived. I think my difficult child's were around 4 or 5 yrs old, it was muddy and awful.

Nope no more campouts for me...I'm with Janet Motel 6, lol.
Tammy

mstang67chic

Going Green
Glad the car issue was worked out cheaper than you thought it would. For future reference, you obviously can get the clicking noise when the battery is going out. It's only when it's completely gone that there is nothing. Ditto with the starter....when that is bad, there's not any (Or much) noise....it just doesn't do anything. Sometimes though, if you beat on the starter with a hammer or something similar a few times, it will start. You don't want to kill it but a few good whacks will sometimes baby it along for a short time.

My back can't take sleeping on the ground now but I love to camp! As long as I have a decent tent and I'm not required to eat roasted marshmallows, I'm good! (When I was a kid, I over did it on the marshmallows and barfed all over myself and my pillow in the middle of the night)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yup. Survived the one night. Now husband wants to just pack up the car and GO... wherever... for about two weeks since he won't get any vacation time for a while after he starts whatever new job we hope he'll get this summer.

So today we got the car serviced (ugh... that wasn't cheap -- but it was necessary) and ran around getting supplies that we need. Oh. And he bought another kayak. And a hitch-mounted bike rack. And a bike. (Well, at least his company is reimbursing us for up to $400 in athletic equipment... the very last of the perks before he's off the books on 7/10 -- so that will cover the bike and the rack, or the bike and part of the kayak).

Tomorrow we'll start assembling the fishing gear, boats, bikes, camping stuff, etc. while his parents stop in on their way to sister in law#3's and then back to Vegas (!). Wednesday I'll pack clothes and groceries. And with any luck we'll hit the road on Thursday.

I may need to take difficult child 1 to the doctor's tomorrow as a precaution since he started with his nasty asthma cough yesterday and it sounds worse today. :(

I've got a neighbor girl lined up to take care of the critters and water the vegetables, though! I'm gonna be sad if we come back to dead tomato plants and bare fruit trees!

So if you don't hear from me much for a while, you'll know why. :D Please pray for peace -- road trips manage to bring out the worst in all of us at some point or another!