Where do you put your keys?

AppleCori

OK, we are overdue for a really important, life-altering thread.

Do you have a specific spot where you put your keys when you come in?

Do you always put them there, or do you come back later and realize you laid them down somewhere and have to hunt for them?

What does the spot look like? Describe it if you wish!

Pink Elephant

Dear husband and I are nightstand people, but we also have a dish in the entry, and on busy days if we're in and out, we set our keys down inside the dish, that way their right there and right handy.

Our spot is a split-level entry, small table off to one side, with dish on table top. behind the table is a series of coat hooks for hanging jackets, etc, and we even have a built-in boot/shoe shelf, which is especially great for keeping footwear off the floor.

Love being organized this way, because I hated the way I used to be... leave keys (who knows where in the house), and when it was time to leave, I'd go on a hunt in panic mode wondering where my keys were! You live and you learn, and then you get older, and the you smarten-up, well, at least most of us do. LOL!

I really like those wall-hanging key-boards, where you hang all your keys from, just like you do coats on hooks. Think that's so handy, too.

AppleCori

Dear husband and I are nightstand people, but we also have a dish in the entry, and on busy days if we're in and out, we set our keys down inside the dish, that way their right there and right handy.

Our spot is a split-level entry, small table off to one side, with dish on table top. behind the table is a series of coat hooks for hanging jackets, etc, and we even have a built-in boot/shoe shelf, which is especially great for keeping footwear off the floor.

Love being organized this way, because I hated the way I used to be... leave keys (who knows where in the house), and when it was time to leave, I'd go on a hunt in panic mode wondering where my keys were! You live and you learn, and then you get older, and the you smarten-up, well, at least most of us do. LOL!

I really like those wall-hanging key-boards, where you hang all your keys from, just like you do coats on hooks. Think that's so handy, too.

Your built-in shoe rack sounds great!

That’s a great idea. If we ever build a house I might put one in.

Did the house have that originally or did you put it in?

Another question: Do you usually come in through the front door or the entry from the garage or another way? Do you enter a room or a hallway?

Pink Elephant

House came with it, Apple, and we've used it from day one. In the winter months, we set our footwear down on a large towel so the soles and outside dry, then place them on the shelves. Everything organized, out of sight (for the most part), and clean-looking, and with painted shelves, I just wash them down with a cloth and cleaner when needed.

We seldom come or go out the front. Our side-door is and has always been our favoured entry and exit to use. It's under our carport and is covered, so when it's miserable out or pouring down rain, we can drive said vehicle into the carport and unload whatever it is we have in dryness and comfort. Hate getting poured on.

What about your place, Apple? Are you front, side, or back-door users? Am also curious as to your entry way, and, where you keep your keys. :)

See what you've started! LOL! :laugh:

Pink Elephant

And speaking of keys, seeing how we're on the topic of... I still have an old diaper pin attached to my key-ring. I don't know or even remember why I have it on my set of keys, but I'm thinking I thought it was fun at the time when the kids were little, and there it stayed.

Hate, hate, hate those bulky key-fobs... and totally hate too many keys on the ring!

Okay, that's my vent for the day. :)

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Mine always go in the front pocket of my purse. My husband on the other hand, well lets just say we make a game out of finding his keys. I've given him a basket by the door that he has gotten better about using but he is usually going in fast mode and not thinking about the "small" details.
My favorite was many years ago, he was in a rush to leave for work one morning and of course, couldn't find his keys. I stop what I'm doing to assist in the hunt. I found them! I called to husband and he came in the bedroom where I was. I told him, "I found your keys", he says "where are they?", I tell him "I'm looking right at them", he says "quit messing around I've got to get to work", I say "you see that little lump on the bed?"
He was the last one out of bed so he made the bed right over where he had laid his keys.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
After that incident, anytime he would misplace his keys, I would ask him if he checked the bed.

AppleCori

And speaking of keys, seeing how we're on the topic of... I still have an old diaper pin attached to my key-ring. I don't know or even remember why I have it on my set of keys, but I'm thinking I thought it was fun at the time when the kids were little. :)

Why am I not surprised by this?????

AppleCori

We usually enter through the garage, since that’s where we park the cars.

I have a shelf with key hooks that I always put my keys on. It’s blue and has a mirror. I have pictures on it. The shelf has an item each of my kids made when they were young. Ceramic animals.

It has a hook for my purse. I had keep the dog leashes there, too.

My hubby leaves his keys in the ignition. We park in the garage, so I assume it’s safe enough, but I just can’t do that myself.

I have a container on the kitchen counter for step-son’s keys, wallet, and work badge, and have had luck with getting him to use it. I don’t like random things left on the counters.

I have a funny key story, which I will come back later to tell....

Pink Elephant

Thanks, Apple. I have always enjoyed reading and hearing about other people's homes. I have one of those... I like everyone else's homes better than mine, problems. :)

Wish we had a garage. Dear husband contemplated building one many years ago, but it would have taken up a good portion of our backyard and altered the way we could lay things out, so it was decided that our carport would have to suffice.

Yeah, yeah... always keeping us in suspense! LOL! :)

Lil

Mine used to go in my coat pocket...

Or my purse...

Or the kitchen counter...

Or the dining room table...

After about 17 years of that (in this house) and the ensuing daily search, I finally put a nail in the wall next to the place on the kitchen counter where we put our mail and now I hang them there every day - usually.

Sometimes I still search.

BusynMember

We have hooks right after we enter and hang them there. The house doesnt have one so we are ordering one we have a small foyer with a shelf for shoes and will put the key hooks above it.

Last edited:

KTMom91

Hubby and I have key hooks right by the front door. Hubby would lose his keys every day without a specific place for them.

AppleCori

I didn’t start this thread to tell this story—I didn’t even think about it till Tanya posted her funny key story, but now that I thought about it, here goes....

One evening a few months ago, I went out to the truck to go somewhere or other, and the keys weren’t in it. I hadn’t seen them on the key hook, so I assumed they were there.

I went in and went through my purse, looked around a bit and still can’t find them.

Now, most of the time this isn’t a big deal because usually vehicles have a second set of keys, but since my hubby dropped the other set IN THE LAKE not long after we got this truck, we have been making due with the one key. I was determined to find it. I mean it has to be here somewhere, right?

Well, I asked hubby if he had the keys but he said he didn’t. We figured I was the last one to have them, since the drivers seat was where I keep it (I’m 5’2 and hubby is 6’3, so it’s pretty obvious who drove last).

I searched the house over, looked through coat pockets, under furniture, in the recycling bin, everywhere. I was wondering if something was wrong with me since this is uncharacteristic of me to misplace my keys!

Hubby meanwhile, called the dealership to get another key and was told we had to bring the vehicle in before they could make one!

Well, I was searching the inside of the truck, yet again, when hubby came out with key! He mumbled something about them being under the bed or something. I was late, so I had to rush away and we really didn’t talk anymore about it. I was still a bit worried about myself because I had looked under the bed thinking they might have fallen out of a pocket when I changed clothes or something, and I didn’t find them.

A few days later, he was scrolling through the TV and saw an old rerun of ‘The Jeffersons”. I haven’t seeen that in decades, so we sat down to watch. Well, Weezie was hiding something or other secret from George and the neighbor Tom was hiding something from his wife in the episode, and the truth came out at the end of the show.

Hubby looked at me and said—you remember when I told you that I found your keys under the bed? Well, I remembered that I had gotten the keys to unlock the bed of the truck earlier. They were actually in my pocket the whole time. I was too embarrassed to tell you.....

OMG—I thought that was hilarious!

I love it when I can give him a hard time about something. I really had fun with it!

Pink Elephant

Apple. Sort of like when you open the fridge, a cupboard, or the pantry up, because you are going to get something, but as soon as you open the door, you forgot what it was you were after.

Or when you remove the carton of milk from the fridge, pour what you need, then walk past the fridge and into another room of the house to put the milk away! I've caught myself doing both!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Hubby looked at me and said—you remember when I told you that I found your keys under the bed? Well, I remembered that I had gotten the keys to unlock the bed of the truck earlier. They were actually in my pocket the whole time. I was too embarrassed to tell you.....
Too funny! It's good he fessed up.

Many years ago when my son was in grade school, the school called (this was before I dreaded calls from the school) to tell me my son had a really bad case of hives and that I needed to come get him. I was getting ready to leave work to go get my son and I realized I didn't have my house keys. I have always kept my car key on a separate key ring. This was before cell phones. I called my husbands company and told them I needed to get a hold of my husband to get his set of house keys. His boss told me to meet him in the lobby of the building my husband was working on. I get there and meet his boss, we go over the elevator, we go to the roof of the 52 story building. The boss walks over to one side of the building and says "there over here". My husband used to hang on the high rises to do maintenance on the buildings joints. So, I walk over to where his boss is. There is a ledge that comes up to about my knees, I look down and vertigo set in, I am not a fan of heights. I quickly dropped to my knees and hugged the ledge. The boss has a two way radio that he uses to call my husband. Now mind you they are on a scaffolding at least 15 stories down. It would take time away from their work to have to bring the scaffolding up so the boss gets a thin rope and ties a wrench to end of it, drops it over the edge down to my husband who ties his keys to the rope.
I got the keys and the fright of my life!:916wildone:

I will never understand how my husband could do that kind of work.

AppleCori

Apple. Sort of like when you open the fridge, a cupboard, or the pantry up, because you are going to get something, but as soon as you open the door, you forgot what it was you were after.

Or when you remove the carton of milk from the fridge, pour what you need, then walk past the fridge and into another room of the house to put the milk away! I've caught myself doing both!

I was especially worried, because there is absolutely nothing under my bed, ever, except an occasional item that the dog drags under there to chew up, usually a food wrapper or something similar.

I thought I was loosing it!

And I don’t have all that much to begin with!

He’s lucky he is such a wonderful guy!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My "using" key ring, which has my house key and master car key on it, lives behind my laptop.

My "full" keyring, which has valet car key, house key, mom and sister's house keys, and Bast only knows what else on it, lives in my purse most of the time.