Who Said Small Tpwns Don't Have Excitement??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Our lil town has just made cincy news.

We have a massive downtown fire, in an abandoned lumberyard no less. Caught the supermarket across the street on fire too. I *think* they were able to contain the market and get it soaked enough to prevent another "catching". Details are still sketchy. Back up units have been called in from all surrounding communities. It's still burning and this has been more than an hour now. And I do mean BURNING. Massive flames and tons of black billowing smoke.

The lumberyard shut down in April due to our nice economy. It made me upset as I like it. The market is where I shop several times a week. It's not that far from me. No clue if anyone was hurt or not. I'm glad all that nasty thick black smoke is blowing away from me and not toward me.

IF they can't contain it.......well. most of our downtown buildings are well over a century old, fire traps to say the least. It catches one of them and the whole downtown will go up in flames.....all the buildings are connected. Last I looked it wasn't looking so great. They were using a ladder truck to try to get higher than the FLAMES, not the building.....the FLAMES. OMG! I hope they drowned the new dollar store and the very old building on both sides with tons of water.

It's probably gonna burn a while.........last I looked it still had a LOT of lumber in it. :faint:

Mattsmom277

Hope they can bring it under control without it spreading.

Our downtown lost a historic building this past week too. They sprayed more than 18 hours to get it totally out. It was -37 Celsius which made it a bear to try to control. A real loss of a building that is nearly original to this city.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thankfully they kept it from spreading. The roof of the market across the street did "catch" but they did get it out and there was no major damage. easy child and I drove past there around 10 ish and it was still smoldering.....firemen were watching to make certain it didn't burst into flame again.

This first opened as the ice company. It was rather huge. When it made the switch to lumber co, they just used the original buildings......all made of wood, and that made it go poof! It could be seen miles out of town. Ten different communities sent trucks and equipment. Water had to be brought in by tanks. Our newly voted in Mayor (Drew Hastings) was a bag of nerves. This was only a block from downtown, all stores there are connected, so yeah. Could've been much worse. Took them 3 hrs to get the flames down to embers.

Two firemen were sent to the hospital. One for smoke I believe, the other had a wall fall on him. Both are ok though.

Two teens have been questioned by police. Arson is suspected as the teens were seen running from the building shortly before the fire was spotted. Small town, didn't take long to know who those teens were. They're bringing in an expert to check for arson.

A real shame. The new owner, who owns another lumber co here, was using it for storage until he could get together the extra funds to use it for something. He'd bought it because he didn't want the landmark torn down. :(