Why would my neighbor be taking a picture of MY yard after a storm?

TerryJ2

We have begun a bit of neighbor wars ... a neighbor named TG bought a house near the water. He had heard about neighbor Mr. F-word cutting down a tree that bordered our properties, hadn't said a word to us, and how I ran out in the middle of it and stopped the crane operator.
So TG called to tell us what a good neighbor he was because he was doing work in the yard of the house he bought, and would change the drainage to improve it and would cut down an old willow tree and save us lots of money. AND he was telling us in advance.

The bulldozer guy cut in half a brand new weeping Japanese miniature maple tree for starters. Then the runoff fill dirt and grass came into our yard. The swale we had cut was obliterated, and the runoff now comes into the yard completely instead of being controlled. As water will do, this most recent storm carved a completely different path.

We waited 9 mo's and no other "improvements" were made, so, because it's on a public easement and is in a drainage area that runs onto protected wetlands, I called the city and asked for their opinion. They came out and did a new survey last wk. (Oh, I forgot to mention, that the survey stakes were all in the wrong spot and that the permanent metal stake was removed.)
TG called and bit off husband's head because the city was on his property (not exactly true ... it's a city easement that flows into the creek). Last we heard from him.

The other night, I was outside taking pics of the "new improved drainage" and coincidentally, TG was out there with-his truck and saw me.

Yesterday, after a humungous storm, I waded out in rain boots to take photos (I think that was Susie's idea) and this time, Mr. F-word was out taking pics ... of OUR yard. Say what? I guess he's in on it, because he wants a clear view of the water and is buddy-buddy with-TG.

I did not say a word to him, but I did call my dog, because this guy earned his nickname because one of our dogs, yrs ago, chased him on his motorcycle and he stormed over to the house, hammered the doors and windows until I came out, and told me that if he ever saw my dog on his property again, he'd kill her. Every other word started with-an F. So, we just stay away from him. He's nuts. And mean. He and his wife are either A) Throwing a party on the deck and in the above-ground pool; B) Fighting and swearing; or C) Putting up garden flags and other yard signs about Jesus and Christianity. Alrighty, then.

I'll try to post a photo later today.
Too bad I didn't think to snap a photo of him on our property, taking a picture. I really, really, really don't think it was because he admires our mini Japanese maples.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yep, what Buddy said. He's trying to manipulate and intimidate you. Good for you for pursuing legal and appropriate avenues to rectify the situation. What a F-Face.

T

TeDo

They both sound rather childish to me. "You took a picture of his so I'm gonna take a picture of yours" type thing. Another thought is that they think you're taking pictures to prove "damage" so they're taking pictures to prove it's not affecting your yard. I don't know, these guys are just creepy jerks (would LOVE to use a different term but can't).

TerryJ2

I agree.
I emailed my own pics to the city today. I wanted to show them how much of the runoff comes from the street behind, and how much comes from the neighbor's yard, so he can see the difference.
He said that the neighbor, TG, had called and told him not to go on his property again. I told the city guy that it's an easement and we told the neighbor that. He seemed relieved and even surprised. I sure hope the neighbor doesn't intimidate him to not do anything.
Usually, you hear horrid stories about the govn't or even neighborhood covenant groups riding roughshod on private prop owners. This time, it's the city being a bit of a wuss. Sigh.

We plan to re-dig the swale and put in some rocks. But I want to see how far our tax dollars will go first. :)
I'm not telling the neighbor diddly squat. He ( and the other guy) can go live in their fantasy worlds and think whatever they want.

I'm also going to learn how to record on my ans machine while I'm talking. I used to know but can't recall. Just in case one of them calls to chew us out again ...

witzend

Figure out where your property line is and build something on it. Make it a 12" cheap-o picket fence if you have to, but build something on it. Imminent domain.

L

Liahona

After all this is done and over with I'm thinking a big fence on both sides would be a good idea.

TerryJ2

I would love that. Except that it will never stay in one spot. The land is totally dry in July and Aug, rock hard, and then when hurricane season hits, it turns back into wetlands.
Plus, since it's wetlands, we cannot build anything permanent.
But we can plant trees and shrubs that are native to the area. :)