Would anyone be interested in meeting at a hotel like we once did

nlj

Fly to Heathrow, then head west on the M4 motorway. Let me know once you've crossed the Severn Bridge and I'll drive out and meet up with you somewhere.

Looking forward to it! X

Lil

Fly to Heathrow, then head west on the M4 motorway. Let me know once you've crossed the Severn Bridge and I'll drive out and meet up with you somewhere.

Looking forward to it! X

Now, you should have to travel a little. How about Ireland? :)

Origami

I just now saw this thread, but I'm in the Chicago area and would be able to meet up here or within driving distance, like Wisconsin or Michigan.

JMom

That sounds so comforting and fun. I'm near Fort Worth, Texas if anyone has a hankering for some BBQ and sunshine.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
o_OLet's try to choose a "basic" inexpensive hotel. Maybe one of the chains that serves breakfast?

Hotel prices in the Milwaukee area are lower than in the Chicago area; speaking from personal experience.

Also, let's give people the option of single rooms. At least one of us:rolleyes: isn't comfortable rooming with others.

Origami

I've stayed in Milwaukee quite a few times since my son went to college there. We like the Plaza Hotel, which runs about $150 a night (www.plazahotelmilwaukee.com) and the Marriott Courtyard (300 W. Michigan St.), which is about $250 a night. Wow, their price has gone up since the last time we were there! Anyway, the Plaza is very nice with a great breakfast restaurant attached. Each room has it's own kitchenette, also. As for common space where we could meet up and chat, probably not so much. It's a short drive to downtown and other restaurants, the lakefront, etc. The Marriott is attached to a shopping mall and is right downtown. It has a pool and serves breakfast. Parking is free at the Plaza, $25 at the Marriott.

Lil

I can't imagine Jabber and I getting off work...especially with the distance and boarding the dogs - it would likely be too pricey for us these days. :(

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It's a good thing I LIVE effectively in Milwaukee as there is no way I can afford those hotel rates.

There are cheaper hotel rates if you are willing to stay somewhere other than downtown.

Also, the mall you mention is the Grand Avenue Mall. It is beautiful, and was a lovely mall when it first opened. Unfortunately, it has become a very dangerous place. Lots of muggings and purse snatchings. Most attacks are along racial lines, which is a damned shame.

Do remember, if you come to Milwaukee, that it is one of the most segregated cities in the country, with all the anger and resentment that entails.

I chose to live (barely) in the suburbs for that reason. The apartment complex I live in is very diverse, which I prefer.

BusynMember

I will stay away since my two Wisconsin kids are black. Not sure Wisconsin has active racial hste groups bit not ancious yo find him.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Northern WI, where I lived before moving downstate, had a lot of militia and White Supremacist groups.

I haven't seen much evidence of organized groups down here, but then again, I haven't really looked for them.

Milwaukee is sort of your typical Rust Belt city, so lots of formerly middle class blue collar families, most of those were white. Milwaukee proper has a large Hispanic and Black population. They live in segregated neighborhoods known as "the Barrio" and "the Ghetto", which tells you a lot about white attitudes right there.

There is not a large Jewish population in Milwaukee, most fled to the suburbs and out of state many years ago.

There are quite a few Muslims, many belonging to splinter sects, and we have a Sikh temple in Oak Creek that many might have heard of as it was the site of a shooting where several Sikhs were killed and more injured. Why? The shooter saw the turbans and thought they were Muslims.