writing our first IEP this week or next - need advice!!!!

C

cboz

difficult child (grade 2) is being moved to an e.d. classroom until he can regain some control (he's now in therapy & we're still tweaking medications). We are writing his IEP soon (it's only for emotional disturbance; he doesn't have learning disabilities that impede his academic success). Here are his difficulties that can cause him to have explosive/violent outbursts:

- transitioning from one mind-set to another
- considering the likely outcomes or consequences of actions (impulsive)
- expressing concerns, needs or thoughts in words
- considering a range of solutions to a problem
- expressing concerns, needs, or thoughts in words
- managing emotional response to frustration so as to think rationally
- chronic irritability that impede capacity for problem-solving
- attending to and/or accurately interpreting social cues/nuances

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

-

H

HaoZi

We have another IEP mtg this Tuesday to go over a draft IEP for kiddo. A lot of her issues are similar though they intend to keep her mainstreamed. When I have it in my hands I'll let you know what they've found works (or expect to work) for her. While anger management classes were a fail for mine, you might want to try them if they're offered in your area. Kiddo's therapist is trying to work with her on recognizing her anger/frustration and getting it calmed herself before she blows, but she's very resistant to it so it's not doing much good. You could also trying meditating with him as a form of "daydreaming". Not much help on the IEP, but some extras you can try.

T

TeDo

My son was put in a Social Skills class in school. In that class, he works on identifying and expressing feelings, learning how to handle them appropriately, ways to de-stress, and how his actions come across to and affect other people. There is a special curriculum they work with in that class. He has made great strides already in the 5 weeks he's been in there. From the issues you listed, are you sure your difficult child isn't on the Autism Spectrum somewhere? That sounds SO much like my son. You might want to look into that more. Their thought processes are so very different.

C

cboz

From the issues you listed, are you sure your difficult child isn't on the Autism Spectrum somewhere? That sounds SO much like my son. You might want to look into that more. Their thought processes are so very different.

We are currently waiting for results from an autism evaluation, oddly enough. He's definitely "off the beaten path" in all kinds of ways.

JJJ

Make sure that all the goals are SMART

Specific
Measureable
Action Words
Realistic and relevant
Time-limited

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/iep.goals.plan.htm

Good goal: Given a 5-minute warning, Cboz will transition to the next activity with less than 2 prompts by June 2011 at least 90% of the time.
Bad goal: Cboz will stop having problems with transitions.