Your favorite and least favorite reality show (if any)

BusynMember

In general, I don't like them, but some of the food shows are interesting. I have a longer list of reality shows I can't stand.

1/Say "yes" to the dress. This is Jumper's favorite show. Even her boyfriend mentioned it. I have learned to detest it maybe because of overexposure.

2/Any Bacherlette/Bachelor shows where you supposedly find true love on a show. Has it ever worked once??

3/Dance Moms (give me the barf bag now)

4/Little People, Big People, My 600 Pound Life...shows that gain notoriety by taking people who are different and wanting the audience to gawk at them because they are different.

5/Any celebrity's life show. I don't care about their lives.

I don't know if anyone else cares enough to comment, but just thought I'd start a more fun, lighter thread and if somebody disagrees with my pciks, i really don't care :)

Lil

The only "reality shows" I really like are the home-improvement shows. Property Brothers, House Hunters, the house-flipper shows. I don't hate the Pawn Stars show...it's okay...we may have to go there when we go to Vegas, just because. Say Yes to the Dress is pretty good too - mostly I like looking at the dresses. The cooking contest shows are okay...like Chopped. Some of the "rescue shows" where they go in and change a business to save it...I don't know what they're called...they're not bad.

I pretty much hate any of the "survivor" shows like Big Brother. BOOORING. I don't like any of the celebrity shows either. I'm proud to say that if it weren't for the internet I would have no idea what a Kardashian is. lol

Scent of Cedar *

I was absolutely addicted to Beverly Hills Housewives for a long time. Daughter was so sick, and I would watch Beverly Hills Housewives for as many episodes as were on.

I would just sit there on the sofa and watch Beverly Hills Housewives.

"The higher the heel, the closer to God."

:O)

And the funny thing is, we don't watch television very much, at all.

But boy, I watched that show, in those sad days.

Cedar

BusynMember

Cedar, I think we all find distractions during hard times.

One of my hardest, saddest times was during my first divorce. I as devastated and conflicted.

While going through it, I have to thank Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls for giving me some respite. I never missed a game and as long as the game was on, I didn't think about my problems.

I don't know what I would have done without the Bulls. I worked full time, was exhausted physically and emotionally, and needed the resting on the sofa and to take my mind off my sadness. I get it, Cedar. I get it completely.

by the way, Cedar, from what you have told me of your very creative, talented and perhaps, like me, differently wired daughter, I think I would like her very, very much. I had to get that in somewhere and I forgot to put it down on the FOO threads.That doesn't mean I don't understand how hard it was for you. But she seems as if she has a golden heart. To me, that matters the most in a person's character.

AppleCori

I like some of the shows on HGTV--Fixer Upper is my favorite, style-wise. I like Buying and Selling too.

The other day we watched a show on Discovery or Animal Planet (or maybe some other channel) called Alaskan Bush People. The family lives in the Alaskan Bush country. I think that our Difficult Child would have been much better off had he been raised like that. He is (was) an avid outdoorsman, and maybe if he was out there he would never have been introduced to drugs. And he was never able to sit still and concentrate in school for long periods of time. School didn't suit him. That was what interested me about that show.

Do you ever feel that your Difficult Child would have been better suited to a different lifestyle, maybe a different time-period in history?

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I pretty much love anything on HGTV. I cannot stand any of the celebrity or so called celebrity shows. I don't care for survivor or the bachelor. They say they are all unscripted but I just find it hard to believe.
I do however like American Ninja Warrior. I like that it's every day people who have incredible athletic abilities. When I'm watching it and the person is struggling to get through the obstacle course I find myself leaning towards the TV like I can somehow help them get through the obstacle. o_O

Lil

Do you ever feel that your Difficult Child would have been better suited to a different lifestyle, maybe a different time-period in history?

Suited? Probably not since he's SO lazy. But I have wished I'd raised him differently. Maybe if we'd lived on a farm and I made him work in the garden and feeding the chickens etc., from the time he was little, he'd have developed a work ethic? But he was NEVER outdoorsy. The few times we took him fishing or camping, he really didn't like it.

I do however like American Ninja Warrior.

Never saw the show...but I saw THIS on Facebook...WOW!

Jabberwockey

I used to like Survivor but haven't watched it in several seasons. Same old BS popularity contest. You want to make a Survivor I'll watch? Drop them on the island with nothing but the cloths on their back, camera's placed everywhere, and an emergency medication station. No voting out who you don't like. You vote yourself out. Last person standing wins. Have the occasional challenge to give them the opportunity to win some helpful stuff but that's it.

donna723

I watch very, very few of the reality shows, especially the ones based on celebrities or wanna be celebrities. I simply don't give a rat's rear what those people do! They all seem to be scripted and the people seem to get trashier and trashier! One that I do watch is "The Little Couple". Not a bit trashy or contrived. It's a nice couple, both dwarfs, she's a doctor, he's a businessman. I feel like I know them! It's followed them through their struggles to have a child, then through their journeys, first to China, then India, to adopt two children. I love that show! Another one I love (I guess it qualifies as a "reality" show) is Gordon Ramsey on the BBC channel! He goes in to struggling restaurants and tries to rejuvenate them. I dearly love to watch him go in to one of his famous rants at the clueless restaurant owners!

DoneDad

I used to like Survivor but haven't watched it in several seasons. Same old BS popularity contest. You want to make a Survivor I'll watch? Drop them on the island with nothing but the cloths on their back, camera's placed everywhere, and an emergency medication station. No voting out who you don't like. You vote yourself out. Last person standing wins. Have the occasional challenge to give them the opportunity to win some helpful stuff but that's it.
I like Naked and Afraid. This season they have teams. Not really a competition just surviving with nothing in very harsh environments. I'm surprised no one has died on the show yet. Last week three guys were sleeping and a jaguar was in their camp looking around. They also caught a huge electric eel. I agree Survivor is stupid and is more like junior high school in the woods.

DoneDad

Another one I love (I guess it qualifies as a "reality" show) is Gordon Ramsey on the BBC channel! He goes in to struggling restaurants and tries to rejuvenate them. I dearly love to watch him go in to one of his famous rants at the clueless restaurant owners!

Kitchen Nightmares is a favorite of mine too. He practices tough love. He breaks through their denial by showing them the facts. Your restaurant is clean - let's take a look at your walk-in refrigerator. Your food is good - lets serve 100 people and see what they think. Once they acknowledge reality they can address their problems. He's had some absolutely delusional people on there.

pasajes4

I love the 'Little Couple'. They are amazing people. Her struggle with infertility and then her battle with the cancer that resulted from the treatments was inspirational. I think the fact that she is a renowned physician and he is a business man shows that physical issues do not need to be barriers to living a productive life. I had the privilege of meeting Dr. Jen at a conference in Houston. She is brilliant.

KTMom91

The Little Couple, DWTS, Chopped, Shark Tank...I like TV.

I do not like anything Kardashian, or shows where people are screaming, or Survivor.

PatriotsGirl

I watch several - love the hgtv ones, any real housewives, bachelor/Bachelorette, survivor, American ninja warrior, and most definitely big brother! There are probably lots more I didn't list. I just like watching...lol.

Copabanana

Yes. The Wild West when they slept outside with just a bed roll. And acted crude and rude around the fire. And hung out at the Saloon and got into senseless brawls. There was no real law or if there was it could be ignored. They rode out into the sunset with no destination in sight. They left their mothers all alone on the farm or ranch with all of the work. And did not write home.

Last edited:

SuZir

I have eclectic taste when it comes to reality shows. The latest one I have watched was maybe closer to documentary than reality show, somewhere between. But anyway, it followed our Special Olympics team in their road to Special Olympics, Los Angeles 2015.

One I also liked really a lot was a British series several years ago, maybe a decade, where a person had couple weeks time to learn a new skill and then there was a competition with two experienced people with that skills and judges tried to guess who was the one who had started 2 weeks ago. That was probably my favourite reality of all time.

But I do like also the really trashy ones like Toddlers with Tiaras and some local absolute rubbish realities. That is intriguing like watching a train wreck in action.

Survivors, Barchelors etc. have been dead boring for longest time. When they were new there was some interesting and different, bu5t not any more. They are all the same and their script is so rigid that you always know what will happen next long before it does.

BusynMember

Now that I think of it, I used to LOVE American Idol. I stopped watching the year after Carrie Underwood won. Got some great stars from that show.

But it needs Simon.

witzend

I'm guessing that not only am I in the minority on this, but alone. If you mean some sort of contest I have never seen a "reality" show. I can remember L turning on "Real World" in it's 1st or 2nd season once and it took me about 10 seconds to figure out that I had no interest in how low people would go to shaft each other in their bid for winning some title or prize.

on the other hand, I tend to enjoy documentaries. That's reality tv.

InsaneCdn

I'm guessing that not only am I in the minority on this, but alone. If you mean some sort of contest I have never seen a "reality" show.
Nope, you're not alone. From people I talk to... if we are a minority, it isn't a small minority. Lots of people don't have time for these shows.