Your favorite and least favorite reality show (if any)

donna723

I don't know why everything has to turn in to a competition! Even the cooking shows! Some of the cooking shows I enjoy, seeing how they do things, pick up some new ideas. Like watching people baking things or decorating cakes. I want to see how they do it. I don't give a rat's patootie about who can do it the fastest! Who cares!

svengandhi

I am a very lowbrow TV watcher. I love true crime or as H calls it "How to Murder your Spouse." on the other hand, I can't watch shows like Criminal Minds or CSI or Hannibal. I love some of the Housewives (Beverly Hills, NYC and New Jersey, I have only just begun watching OC) and I dropped everything for Celebrity Apprentice. Never could stand Bachelor, Survivor or that ilk. I hate house shows, probably because mine is in such disrepair and H refuses to do anything but paint the walls white.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Late to the party, but:

Absolute, hands-down, favorite: Project Runway - I love Tim Gunn. I am so happy a new season recently started! I'm kind of partial to Ghost Hunters too, although after watching every season since the beginning I don't care much any more. I mostly watch for Steve and Tango ;-)

Least favorite: just about all of the other ones, although I'll occasionally tune in while channel-flipping out of morbid curiosity.

Kathy813

Staff member
I'm a Project Runway fan myself. I am always amazed at what they can create from a piece of cloth (or hallmark cards this season).

I also watch the Bachelor and Bachelorette since I like to see how the spoilers play out.

~Kathy

susiestar

Roll With It
I really like the Little Couple. They seem like a great couple who really cares about each other and their kids.

I loathe Survivor because none of them would survive if they were really stranded and acted that hideously. It encourages treating each other horribly, in my opinion.

I love the true crime shows on Discovery ID. The Lockup shows fascinate me because I keep thinking about how we could make prison more about true rehabilitation and less Crime University. I got started after hearing about my stepMIL's work in prisons (she teaches Reality Therapy in prisons worldwide! the concepts are part of what truly helped turn Wiz around, in my opinion, along with Love & Logic).

I don't know why, but that show about the Duggars truly creeped me out. I have a feeling that there is a LOT more ugly stuff under the facade that they show.

I really like a lot of HGTV and Food Network shows, but I watch more FN based on what they are cooking than who is cooking.

I HATE the various Alien shows but my husband loves them.

Say Yes to the Dress is fun.

I really don't like the shows where they treat each other badly. I think that coach on Dance Moms who has a show of her own (or did) should be prosecuted for child abuse. The parents who allow their daughter's to be treated so badly and accept being treated badly also should be charged with allowing the abuse. That coach is a great example of how NOT to teach and motivate people. I would love to see the girls work with a truly good & professional coach and see how they improve when they are well treated.

I used to like New Jersey Housewives but it got to be a bore with all the strange Theresa stuff. After about season 3 I stopped watching.

I caught some of Dancing With the stars and it is great - I wouldn't have watched but y'all talked about it so much that I watched to see what you were talking about. something my husband likes is on at the same time so I don't see it regularly.

donna723

About the prison shows ... I don't know if you've seen the one called "The Squad" but it is absolutely real, not contrived like some of the reality shows. It follows the institutional Internal Affairs officers working in the Tennessee prison system. It was originally filmed by A&E as a limited series of about 20 episodes and more than half of them were filmed at the prison where I worked while I was still there! Those people were underfoot for months and we'd find ourselves ducking and dodging them so we wouldn't accidentally be caught on camera. It was filmed about six years ago but is still being shown in reruns on some of the cable channels. It's so strange now to watch it and see all those places that were so familiar to me for almost 25 years. I know ALL of the staff members they show and many of the inmates! There's a new show out now called "Rookies, the First Year" about new Correctional Officers in their first year on the job. It too is a very accurate representation of how it really is on the inside and the things they have to contend with.

Kathy813

Staff member
Susiestar . . . how could I forget Dancing With the Stars? I love that show. I will always think of DDD when I watch it. She was quite a Derek fan.

~Kathy

Lil

I have decided my least favorite reality show is called the 2016 US Presidential Campaign. :sick: I'm already sick to death of it.