I Am Sooooo Attractive

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Story of my life.............

I can attract some of the oddest people, but also the lonliest.

Bad enough when this was in person. I'm too much the "nice guy" sometimes. But it's just plain weird that the exact same thing happens online!

I've been playing Farmtown on facebook. Fun and very addictive game. I hired someone to work my farm. A very nice lady, stress the nice part because she really is, who also happens to be a very very lonely lady. From what I've gathered in speaking with her......her main social is online and this game. Ok. That's fine. At least she's not a real odd ball or anything.

But.........But my problem is that this very nice person now pops into my farm everytime I'm on and talks. And talks. And talks. And talks. She popped in tonight while I was planting.......she kept me there talking for 2 hours. Several hours total yesterday. Now that's fine and dandy......uh sort of.......if I'm planning to be on that long anyway. But alot of times I want to just pop in do what needs to be done and pop out again. Which is what I meant to do tonight.

I do not want to be mean to her. She truely is a very nice person. Granted with too much spare time on her hands.......but still. I don't want to hurt her feelings.

Lordy. Somehow I suddenly find myself in these situations. My girls make fun of me that if there is a needy, or a lonely person within a 100 mile radius they will eventually find me. :tongue: And then I have to find a kind way to distance myself from them so as not to hurt their feelings.

Well, one I just completely stopped contact with. She had made up her mind she was going to move in with me! :surprise: (granted she's one of the difficult child ones)

My kids say I am simply too nice. Maybe I am. But sheesh, am I supposed to be mean and rude to people?

Am I the only one who draws these people to them like flies?

I think one thing that is freaking me a bit is the lady is pouring it on way too thick for only being aquaintances. It's not all her fault it has me back peddling and wanting to push her away. It's just that "oh I am now your bestest and dearest friend in the whole world" when I met you 2 days ago online.......really gives me a mega case of the willies. I have not had good experiences with these types of people in the past. She may become a good friend over time.........but I'm already feeling smothered by her.

easy child said to delete her as a neighbor and friend. I think that's a bit harsh. She hasn't really done a thing wrong. I'm just having issues. Know what I mean?? Granted, it may have to come to that. But I'm hoping she'll settle down after a few days and some heavy duty hints. I mean I know what it's like to be lonely. It's awful.

Of course then I could tell you about the guy on farmtown who wanted me to date him........... :rofl: I had only just hired him to work my farm. sheesh I told him I hoped he was joking because I'm a grandma and married.....then had a friend come scare him away. lol

See what I mean?

I guess this is sort of a whine/vent thing. And I'm hoping I am not the only one with this issue. lol:tongue:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I had something like that happen to me once. I was in New York -- Manhattan to be exact, on business. I flagged a cab to take me to my meeting. The driver was a pleasant conversationalist. He told me he was from Ghana in west Africa, and I learned that he was a few years older than me. Said he would like to have a pen pal and could he write to me when I got back to California.

I was young and naive and didn't see any harm in it. I've had pen pals from foreign places before. So he gave me his address and I said I'd send him a post card when I got back home.

So I dropped him a line when I got back from my trip. Very polite and cordial. Nothing to suggest there was any interest beyond corresponding by mail.

Then I got a letter from him, with a polaroid picture of him next to his pickup truck, beaming with pride. His letter really caught me off guard. He started telling me how much he enjoyed our conversation (however brief) in the cab, my post card, etc. He thought I was a fine woman, one that he could see himself having a RELATIONSHIP WITH.

Oh my gosh I was in a panic! This guy was coming on to me and hinting around at stuff he had no business even thinking of... I think he smelled a green card opportunity, to tell you the truth.

Anyway, I did not respond to that letter, or the next two he sent. He finally gave up. But it taught me to be very careful about just how warm and welcoming to be at first with people you meet, and to be more aware of the unspoken signals some people give off. Of course, that's hard to do online. Maybe you should just lay off the farm work for a few days and maybe your farm stalker will lose interest... :)

everywoman

It's those big googly eyes on farmtown---honestly, I don't have anyone as neighbors unless I know them. I do hire people occasionally, but I don't accept any buddies---some people are just too weird.

I seem to attract kids----Pcdaughter bought me a shirt a few years ago that said, "Who are these kids and why are they calling me mom." She did it because over the years I have collected a number of teens and now young adults who call me mom---even at school, in class. In fact, A, who just came to live with us called me mom the other day when she was talking to Jana---and she's known me less than a month.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
whew ok I don't feel so bad now. lol

I have some very nice buddies in farmtown. Makes it easier as I don't have to go to market to hire people when neighbors aren't online. Just these last 2 (the guy and this lady) were the only odd ones. I may have one ask if I have any work for them, but that's about it. Did have 2 nice guys ask to be a neighbor, but both are married and haven't had a bit of trouble from either of them. (their wives are on my buddy list)

But I think I'm done adding buddies and neighbors unless I know them well or my kids do.

EW.........would you be, could you be, won't you be my neighbor? lmao sorry easy child had me watch too much Mister Rogers when she was little. The neighbor thing on farmtown always makes me think of that stupid song he did. lol

Great. Now it will be in my head all nite. ugh

Yeah. Guess I'll be scarce for a while and see if she takes the hint to back off a bit.

I also have the Mom problem. Oddly, I don't mind that one as much. I'm "Mom" to just about any kid my kids hung out with lol. I figure if you're gonna call me Mom, then I'm gonna treat you like one of my kids. ;)

susiestar

Roll With It
Some of us have that gift. I had just delivered Jessie a month before I took her out to see my aunt. The one in rural OH. I stopped at a truck stop for gas, not knowing it apparently was the "pick up" place for the county. NOT meaning trucks.

I was standing there in my baggy maternity pants and a BIG tshirt pumping gas and a guy tried to pick me up. Thank GOD I could wear my wedding ring again at that time - I couldn't while I was preg because my hands swelled. I got that guy off of me and took Jessie in with me to pay. I just didn't trust the guy not to try to take the car or her. I had an offer when I was on my way into the bathroom for a "quick visit" in the restroom with a toothless guy, and then the cashier guy gave me his phone number asking me to call him because he wanted to get to know "both of you beyooties". I will never forget THAT spelling! Cashier was only missing the top two front teeth, so I guess he was a better pick than the guy by the bathrooms.

At first I thought maybe I didn't look as bad as I thought. Then I realized it wasn't that. It was probably the meth distributor for the area. Toothlessness, hideos facial sores, it all made sense. My aunt confirmed it.

So no, it isn't just you. I get them too. Heck, husband gets them. Often strange chicks into the new-age psychic woo woo stuff. Now I am not a real skeptic, but he likes the paranormal message board and some of the new age meditation sites. He has never been one to pick up women like that, not even when he was single. But I used to find them on the computer and have to run them off. One even searched the address and got the home phone. I knew it was the stalker chick because she told me she was going to search us out and when she called "he would come running to her". Yeah. He was the one who told me about her. I never would have known otherwise. She scared him. She even had our address. I scared her off by telling her I knew her phone number and would find her home and get some hair from her hairbrush and make a voodoo doll and make her sick. Not kill her, just make her uncomfortable. I said a few latin words in a fake incantation and she couldn't hang up quick enough. She even apologized to me online!! ROFL, I think I told her the farmer lived in the forest in latin. It was all I could remember from high school Latin.

Tell the woman that you need to hire another farmer and cannot be spending time talking to her because your girlfriend is the jealous kind and will start looking for her. It usually works. Then unfriend her.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG Susie!!!!! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time...........but OMG!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Which is why her "I'm suddenly your closest, dearest, bestest friend in the whole world" thing is giving me the serious case of the heebie jeebies. Like I said, I've not had good experiences with this type in the past.

I enjoy a good chat with a nice person like everyone else. But too much too fast sends me running in the other direction.

At first I thought maybe I didn't look as bad as I thought. Then I realized it wasn't that. It was probably the meth distributor for the area. Toothlessness, hideos facial sores, it all made sense. My aunt confirmed it.

Hmmmm, was that truck stop anywhere near Hillsboro per chance?? Rockyfork Lake ring a bell ?? :rofl:

You have to just delete. Some people don't get subtle hints. Or you could come up with a new set of rules, one rule would be- never speak to the owner of this farm!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Lisa, it's all about setting limits and being up front.
It's not necessary to be mean or cruel but you (in my humble opinion) need to be direct.
I simply could not spend 2 hrs of my valuable time chatting with a virtual stranger no matter how nice they were. Telling her that you have other work to do is honest.
My thinking is that if I give up my spare time to strangers then I have nothing left for the real people I care about.
If she doesn't accept that you have housework or school work to do then it's time to turn away. Sort of like dogs jumping on people. Much better to turn your back to them then try to correct them with words or pushing at them.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Lisa--

I'm not a Facebook person, so forgive me if this option is not available--but don't you have a way of "setting" whether others can tell you are online or not? My husband and I have family friends that we truly LOVE--but they are the kind of folks that will forward every lousy chain email they receive, send us "joke of the day", and any teeny tiny tidbit of online info they can find....AND if you show up as "online" in any kind of IM service....they will chat you to death.

So whenever husband wants to surf the web undisturbed, he will choose not to appear online...and I do think he has that option on Facebook as well.

Look into it....it's a good way to "take a break" from somebody without having to ruffle any feathers.

--DaisyF

Andy

Atleast you have a safe haven in this board. Absolutely no odd weird lonley people here. Maybe it is the positive side of having a difficult child? Too busy to be weird, odd, and lonley?

I had a friend once who could not live without being entertained 24/7. It was weird to say the least. I met her through VoTech. On Sat she would come to the suburb I lived in and we would go shopping or to a movie or whatever. On Sun, I would go to her place to go bowling. If I chose to spend time with myself or go home for the weekend, she would whine, "Oh, you like so and so better then me!" What! Grow up! My goodness, I was about 20 years old and she was atleast 5 years older than me. She had a room mate that she would complain about because roommate would ask her for rides. I would tell her to give the roommate rides - my friend had nothing else to do. She would not watch t.v., read, do a craft/hobby, anything. Just sat at home waiting for someone to entertain her. That grew old fast. I did visit her home once and found that her mom doted on her big time! Of course she never learned how to look for things to do on her own.

Go ahead and delete her. You do not know her and she is wasting your time, stifling your life. Easier to block online people than to deal with it in real life.

DammitJanet

I am like you Lisa, I attract the loonies. I have had one for probably 4 years now but she has gone into hibernation for almost a year now but she could pop up anytime. She was a constant IM'er for years. Oh the problems she went thru!