UPDATED:::CATA Group- New thread!

DammitJanet

Well there is that nasty little matter of the supposed grandmother of Caylee who swears she was told by her son before he died that he thought he had a daughter in FL by a girl named Casey. This woman never put it together until the trial got national news and they started talking about Caylees missing father who supposedly died in NC,,,which is where her son died.
/
So a book deal could be made so that his family could get the proceeds plus Zenniada Gonzoles and amy nd every other person she managed to screw over in her sshort life,

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Hmm. Did I miss something? I thought it was the grandma who initially called the police to report her granddaughter missing. Why on earth would she do such a thing if she was involved? That's drawing attention to yourself.

Another thing that hurt this case............Dr G Medical Examiner. I mean I've taken enough classes and have enough medical background to know that CSI ect is so exaggerated it's ridiculous. I've watched Dr. G every so often on tv. Gave it up because for me not getting to see the autopsy is boring. I caught a few snippets of her on the stand. Defense asked actually some sort of stupid questions.....but it took her off guard, she stuttered and stammered a bit making her look foolish while she tried to explain technical stuff that few lay people are going to understand. Even I thought wow you sure don't look very professional right now with no rehearsal time. And then I took it back cuz that was just mean.

But people see Dr. G big time tv medical examiner and expect miracles and expect them yesterday. (in my opinion no practicing professional such as her ought to be doing her own show, either one or the other, not both.......conflict of interest)

If the district attorney had gone for gross neglect, manslaughter, abuse of a corpse, ect (in other words stuck to things they COULD prove) she'd have seen jail time and most like have been convicted. But going for murder and the death penalty was basically stupid. Most people don't want to convict on the death penalty to begin with. Honestly I think they chose the latter because of the media and public opinion, which cost them justice for this little girl. When I heard they were going for the death penalty I knew what the outcome would be.

A shame all the way around. This little girl has no justice and now never will. Grandparents lost their grandchild.......and most likely their daughter as well. And the mother/daughter with her obvious warped thinking process thinks it's cool she got away with it cold and can now do whatever she pleases.

These are shoes I hope I never have to walk in.

susiestar

Roll With It
I actually think the biggest problem was with the jury not really knowing what a difficult child is and how far their actions are from what normal people can/will do. They likely have NO concept of a difficult child who lies like she does, or of how a person could go and party for an entire month, speak of her missing daughter only in past tense, spend days in bed while their child is lying in a trunk decomposing. In their minds no one would/could do this with-o looking like a total monster. No one who could look that loving on video could do those things.

This, in my opinion, is the root of why the verdict was what it was. I do think that even with-o seeing all the media stuff that we saw, if there were twelve parents of difficult children on that jury then the verdict owuld be VERY different. We have seen our kids cut their noses off to spite their faces more times than we can count. We have seen our kids refuse to do any assignment if they don't "like" a teacher - and had them fail or have to retake a class or get other consequences like not be allowed on teams or at dances and still do the same thing again and again. We have had them lie to us with a straight face and continue to lie until we started to doubt our own sanity and our grasp of reality. Many of us reached that point before our difficult child were age ten.

But MOST parents, most people, do not have a CLUE that this is possible. They see that Casey lost so many years of great things with her daughter, and she enjoyed her daughter in the video so much, so how could she have done it. They just do NOT realize that a difficult child probably figured that if they wanted to have a kid to play with they could just have another one. I know quite a few young women who believe this and it is scary, esp as now they see a mom who likely did kill her daughter and did get away with it.

It has been a fascinating trial in so many ways. I do look forward to hearing what, if anything, the jurors choose to say. I bet they do a 48 hrs or Primetime type show and I hope they make a bundle for it. Jury duty pay is not great, so if they can make up some $$ to help compensate them for this enormous responsibility that they handled the best they could, and the hardship it had to present for them and their families, well, good for them.

As for Casey, I hope she is awfully careful about security. I have a feeling that she may end up dead soon, though I do not think it would be a good thing for the country. I do think she thinks this is all hilarious but will try to act like she is innocent and confused about who actually killed her child. It won't be believed, but she will try.

klmno

I wonder if Casey called Cindy and George last night to put in her next set of demands. Too bad the jury will never hear that taped recording.

BusynMember

Although I agree with the idiot theory, there is this: Does anyone believe that if the same exact story had happened to a large, menacing looking man or just an overweight young woman with a missing tooth these two people would have walked free? I sure don't.

H

HaoZi

MWM, I now have a nasty mental image of a big hairy dude doing body shots and pole dancing.

Nancy

Susie I was thinking along the same lines here. I was listening to some of the comments last night on tv and it was suggested that the jury may have thought Casey had problems that the parents ignored for years and covered up and I thought to myself, man you have no idea what it's like to have a difficult child. If that theory comes out I will be even more disgusted than I am today. In my heart I believe her family did everything they could to help Casey. I had heard she was in counseling in her younger years and I don't know if that's true but I believe her parents did everything they could to help and support her. I suspect we will now hear a lot of things that will make us even more sure of her guilt, things that were not allowed to come out at trial. Her former fiance already talked last night and said he is shocked and disgusted. How can so many people that know her personally all be wrong?

Yep I decided the perfect way to get away with a murder is to hide the body until it completely decomposes and there is no scientific evidence left and then just hand it over to the police. They won't be able to prove a thing.

Nancy

Nancy

Yep the alternate juror said he believes the family is dysfunctional and knows more than they said.

Newsflash......I have a dysfunctional family too because I have a difficult child and that difficult child causes dysfunction in the family. So therefore if my difficult child kills someone I guess she could get off because we are dysfunctional.

Nancy

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Guess so, Nancy.

So...I have a sign on my door that says "We put the "FUN" in dysFUNctional". I guess if my difficult child kills someone we know, its their own fault, 'cause we issued a disclaimer...

H

HaoZi

Yep the alternate juror said he believes the family is dysfunctional and knows more than they said.

Newsflash......I have a dysfunctional family too because I have a difficult child and that difficult child causes dysfunction in the family. So therefore if my difficult child kills someone I guess she could get off because we are dysfunctional.

Nancy

Or you could if you kill the stalking neighbor. ;)

N

Nomad

Great points....
I toooo got the feeling that the juror has zero concept of a difficult child.
And I did wonder if CA was getting at least a little preferential treatment (weird, though)
Most of all...I have concerns about our legal system and particularly the concept of a "jury of our peers"
The jokes about "dysfunctional families" are kinda funny.
Yep....poor CA had a "dysfunctional family" OMG!
Dont' know whether to laugh or cry.
What a depressing mess.

p.s. It was kinda mean and very sarcastic...but heard someone on the news said that the jurors shouldn't be allowed to have driver's licenses.

Nancy

I think I'm beginning to understand. Watching Ashton on the View this morning he said there were suggestions before the trial that Lee had touched Casey in some inapprorpriate way but there were never any allegations of sbuse by George until Baez said it in opening statement. They couldn't blame Lee for covering the death up because he wasn;t at home, so since George was the only one home at the time they added him into the sexual abuse thing. And the jury bought it.

I was glad to hear Ashton say the family was investigated every way possible and they don't believe the family knew more than they were saying, like this alternate suggested.

Nancy

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Nomad, I have thought of that, too. what really constitutes a "peer"?

The book about the Amish girl that killed her baby (fiction, but a good and fairly realistic read) touched on that a lot...how could "English" people judge a person who was raised Amish? And we're in the same boat.

My husband is a pain in the rear a lot of times, but every once in a while he says something profound. He was my friend long before we dated, and he heard me rant and rave about difficult child 1 a lot. He knew difficult child 1 his entire life. After we had been married a year or so, tho, husband told me that he had no idea what it was going to be like living with difficult child 1, even after all he "thought" he knew. He also said he didn't think there was anything I could have ever said that would have made him understand. So what is a "peer"?

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Well I have issued instructions to Cory to never, ever talk to the cop again on his own and to definitely not plead out on anything again. Not even a traffic violation. He wants a jury trial and he is to go for the "abused in a group home" defense.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Janet, make sure he tells 3 or 4 stories first. And instruct his PD to be sure to bring the dogs and ponies.

Sorry....so not appropriate. But so how I feel. I can respect the jury's decision based on the charges and evidence, but the woman still lied repeatedly about the whereabouts of her missing baby girl, and she WAS convicted of that, and in my own mind...that's just as bad. If she knocks on the door asking to use the phone cause she ran out of gas down the road? She can just WALK... I'll be sure to give her directions to the <not> nearest gas station, too.

DammitJanet

I dont know how she can be proved she lied to the police now if she wasnt found guilty of anything else. How do we know she lied? LOL

I have a reasonable doubt

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I *think* simply by the nature of her changing stories, that she proved that one herself. Maybe she should have only been charged with 3 counts of lying to the cops, tho. Since obviously one of the stories HAD to have been true.

(just to clarify...some of these responses are drowning in sarcasm...)